Just wondering what everyone's standards are when it comes to right and wrong.

I believe that anything stopping people from what they want to do is wrong. Everything else goes.
What's up?
i do what i think is fair, and it works all the time, no religion needed
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
I think our animalistic and savage nature should be embraced and not suppressed by society and religion. I don't believe in right and wrong though.
IMO, right is anything that isn't wrong from the eyes of the other party. As long as person 'A' tells 'B' its alright to eat the cake then its ok. If A tells B to eat the cake but C wanted some of it then it is wrong
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Quote by dio5288
well ethics and morals are completely different things really...i forget what the difference is though haha, i learned it in one of my classes last semester

ethics:
1. a. A set of principles of right conduct. b. A theory or a system of moral values

morals:

Adjective
1. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character

Similar but you're right they aren't exactly the same. But one links to the other.
What's up?
I have low morals and almost no ethics. I believe it gets in the way of being productive. It poses alot of problems, for example with gay marriages, war, abortion, stem cell research, and medicide (doctor assisted suicide). I think we should get whatever needs to get done, to improve our race, without worrying about guilt and morals and all this crap.
Quote by HPLoveCraft

I believe that anything stopping people from what they want to do is wrong. Everything else goes.

What if that person wants to kill you? is stopping them wrong?
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
morals=ethics=scruples=all the same thing...i think

so, threadstarter you believe laws are wrong? If a man wants to sexually abuse a 7 year old girl but he cant do this because there are laws against it then those laws are wrong because they prevent him from doing what he wants to?

i know thats not really the context you had in mind when you said what you said, I just felt like being an ass.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
morals=ethics=scruples=all the same thing...i think

so, threadstarter you believe laws are wrong? If a man wants to sexually abuse a 7 year old girl but he cant do this because there are laws against it then those laws are wrong because they prevent him from doing what he wants to?

i know thats not really the context you had in mind when you said what you said, I just felt like being an ass.

Its not really frowned upon in developing countries, and thats because they dont have developed "morals and ethics" that they were raised with. If an old man is rich, then a mother would surely sell her 7 year old daughter without flinching. Its all environment, really. Why do you think soldiers would never molest or abuse little girls in their home country, and then do it in the enemy country? They are still humans, with human rights, but their morals and ethics change according to their surrounding. So drop that crap, and youll all live the same.
For me it's pretty simple. There are a few things that are wrong pretty much in any circumstance (murder, adultery, rape, ect). Everything else should be determined using your own reason and logic, depending on the situation.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by HPLoveCraft

What if I wanted to castrate you and feed it to a dog? Would you have a problem with that? Everything goes, right?
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
What if I wanted to castrate you and feed it to a dog? Would you have a problem with that? Everything goes, right?

Survival of the fittest.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna

Yes except that obstucts my freedom that I don't want to be castrated.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Yes except that obstucts my freedom that I don't want to be castrated.

Yeah, but that obstructs his freedom too. You would be doing something wrong by getting in the way of his desire to castrate you.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Well that's kind of abusing freedom in the first place. And it's my body so I would have more say in it then him.

Nothing works if you abuse it. You could do that with anything.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Well that's kind of abusing freedom in the first place. And it's my body so I would have more say in it then him.

Nothing works if you abuse it. You could do that with anything.

Based on your original post, that wouldn't be abusing your system at all.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Yes but why should his decision overide my freedom? It should cancel out so he doesn't castrate me.
What's up?
..You guys are talking about freedom, not morals. Freedom is being able to castrate someone without getting in trouble. Morals is being able to restrain yourself from castrating someone because you know it would hurt them, even though youll get in trouble for violence, which does not involve morals. Conditions of violence is what involves morals and ethics, but not violence itself. A punch is a punch whether its from a 5 year old hitting a 21 year old, a 21 year old hitting a 21 year old, or a 70 year old hitting a 21 year old or 5 year old. There is no place in the world, regardless of primitivity, where violence is not considered violence. Think about that.
Well, then you should specify that. Otherwise, the ambiguity could cause some major problems.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave
Well, then you should specify that. Otherwise, the ambiguity could cause some major problems.

Luckily my original post isn't a Constitution
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Luckily my original post isn't a Constitution

I'm just saying. You stated what you think should be the moral standard of this country (or of whichever country you live), and based on what you said, tried to imagine any major flaws with what you said.

IE-If (X) was the general moral philosophy of a country, what possible problems could come from (X) view?
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Threadstarter, you're committing a very common fallacy. Just about everything you enjoy doing harms others if only minimally, just about every right you have takes away from the rights of others. By the nature of your existence, you're taking away the rights of others who have interests against your existence. Morality is the process of determining which rights we give to which parties. GOOD morality does this with the actual experience of sentient beings in mind, but that isn't really a necessity.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by jammoe
Threadstarter, you're committing a very common fallacy. Just about everything you enjoy doing harms others if only minimally, just about every right you have takes away from the rights of others. By the nature of your existence, you're taking away the rights of others who have interests against your existence. Morality is the process of determining which rights we give to which parties. GOOD morality does this with the actual experience of sentient beings in mind, but that isn't really a necessity.

I forget who said it, but there's a lovely quote about just that sort of thing:

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave
I forget who said it, but there's a lovely quote about just that sort of thing:

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

thats beautiful
Quote by insideac
Its not really frowned upon in developing countries, and thats because they dont have developed "morals and ethics" that they were raised with. If an old man is rich, then a mother would surely sell her 7 year old daughter without flinching. Its all environment, really. Why do you think soldiers would never molest or abuse little girls in their home country, and then do it in the enemy country? They are still humans, with human rights, but their morals and ethics change according to their surrounding. So drop that crap, and youll all live the same.

me=pwned

ok, i see the flaw in my logic, however I was asking in the context of a developed country. A more "civilized' (i hate that word) country, if you will, where common morals and ethics are...well, common. Btw I wasnt inquiring about the morality of molesting young children but if you dont find that immoral then thats fine...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Quote by XeNoCiDe730

me=pwned

ok, i see the flaw in my logic, however I was asking in the context of a developed country. A more "civilized' (i hate that word) country, if you will, where common morals and ethics are...well, common. Btw I wasnt inquiring about the morality of molesting young children but if you dont find that immoral then thats fine...

I find it immoral because they dont know whats going on.
That's an incredibly broad question. A lot of the time it's circumstantial and you have given us no scenarios or topics.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by insideac
I find it immoral because they dont know whats going on.

^the fact that they are being irreversibly and traumatically abused is of no consequence? or is that implied in your statement?
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
^the fact that they are being irreversibly and traumatically abused is of no consequence? or is that implied in your statement?

Its implied. Everything that I said in that one sentence:

Its immoral to do to a young girl because they dont know whats going on, they arent old enough to enjoy sexual touching, they are too young to understand the consequences of whats happening to them, and they can easily be controlled by fear into doing anything, because they just want to stop whats happening. In fewer words, they are defenseless, and it destroys their lives for the most part.
Quote by Smokey Amp
That's an incredibly broad question. A lot of the time it's circumstantial and you have given us no scenarios or topics.

Nonetheless all the posts so far are fairly interesting.
What's up?
The only thing I hold people by is dont steal, dont kill, dont break a promise, and dont force someone to do anything. Everything else goes.
Quote by Reverb X
I think you should touch your penis. It solves all problems.

Quote by JimmyPageda2nd
My penis is not huge.

EDIT: If anyone sigs that, I'll beat their ass.

Member of the Nobody Club:We Don't Matter Enough To Have Titles. PM gunther_sucks to join
^ That's what I meant to say the first time but I'm terrible at wording stuff correctly so thank you.
What's up?