Poll: Which Potential Setup is Better
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Potential Setup is Better
0 0%
0 0%
2 100%
0 0%
Voters: 2.
Alright I'm building my custom guitar and I am in a serious shit hole. I have a Randy Rhoads esq type tone with a Marshall DSL401 all valve combo, MXR 10 band EQ, and Distortion+. I need a bridge pickup with high treble and good lows and mids
and/also a neck pickup with nice cleans. Please stay within the $100 range per pickup if you try to reccomend me something else. Also my amp has max treble and 0 bass so please don't reccomend a pickup with a Super low end or a limited mid or high end. My amp can't get more treble out of it(no presence control) and is not very bright sounding compared to what randy originally uses(marshall 1959 Super Lead Plexi) SO here are my potential "setups"

Please Note my guitar body is not yet routed for a neck pickup, so it can be single coil
or Humbucking(if you reccomend a neck pickup). I can Also route it out. it's not a problem.

Current Pickup: 1 EMG 81 Active pickup

Potential setup 1: EMG 81 Bridge and some kind of(reccomend me the best one ) EMG Bridge pickup. The Neck pickup needs to be more for cleans.

Potential Setup 2: I sell the EMG, and go passive w/ Dimarzio super distortion and some kind of dimarzio for the Neck(good cleans)

Potential Setup 3: I sell the EMG, and get a EMG 89 w/switchability from single coil to humbucker output (is this good for cleans?)

Potential Setup 4: I keep the EMG 81 Active pickup and pray it will give decent cleans and more Randy Rhoads style tone
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by Csquared1001 at Feb 27, 2007,
I personally don't like EMGs, but thats just me. I would sell the EMG and get a Seymour Duncan JB. IMO it is one of the best pickups out there, and I think it is the bridge pickup Jackson puts in their RR Sig. models. The Seymour Duncan Jazz or 59' are good neck pickups too. Thats what I personally would go with, Although the DiMarzio EVO sounds good and can pretty much do anything. Gibson 57' classics sound good clean as well.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I'd go for a Seymour Duncan Distortion or Custom models for the Randy tone. And there is quite a variety of good neck pickups, like the Alnico II (for a warmer tone), Alnico V (for a brighter tone), 59 (for PAF tones), etc.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Yeah, or the JB. I think the 59 might have a cleaner tone, because I hear the Jazz is fairly hot.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Try swinehead pickups (just search it). They not bin around as long as seymour and EMG etc but they might have somehting you'd like (the venom and the warthog are brilliant;p)