So im looking for some musical help. I need lyrics that will convey a horror feel, or perhaps something along the lines of Greek Mythology, etc. Post ideas here that you think would be really scarey to envision, or any cool greek, norse, or any other kind of ancient story or myth that you think is interesting or cool. For example, I think a song about a possessed baby would envoke horror upon reading, or the story of how the Jersey devil was born, or something. Any serious ideas would be cool, youd be given credit! Thanks!

EDIT: By the way, this could turn into either an entire concept album, or just song ideas. We play melodic/symphonic/technical death metal.
Last edited by insideac at Feb 27, 2007,
Jersey Devil would be a cool idea.

Or, write an entire prog album about the voyages of Homer. You know the first track can be about the Trojan War, the voyage, etc.
Nikolas
Quote by ROCK=ZEPPELIN
Jersey Devil would be a cool idea.

Or, write an entire prog album about the voyages of Homer. You know the first track can be about the Trojan War, the voyage, etc.

Well I mean, if you say a story that you think would be a cool idea, say what the story is, lol.
The story of Persephone and how she was kidnapped by Hades could be pretty scary, if you think about her state of mind, being trapped and violated in such a terrible place, with no chance to escape, and once she does get out, she's still bound to return every year...

Look it up, I think it has potential
Hmm you could make one about the story of the zodiac killer. Or some other infamous serial killer. I know three bands that did a song about Charlie Manson.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Hmm you could make one about the story of the zodiac killer. Or some other infamous serial killer.

Serial killers are interesting, but I probably know of more notorious, obscure, and cooler killers than you would :P So just leave out killers.
^ Probably. I used to know a lot because I saw a show on the Discovery channel about serial killers. Forgot all their names though.

<---------His stuff is always good though it has been done before.
What's up?
The hanged man of my tarot deck is supposed to be Odin and there's a weird story behind his hanging upside down. Because I'm too lazy to research/type that I'll just post some Wiki stuff.
Odin and his brothers, Vili and Ve, are attributed with slaying Ymir, the Ancient Giant, to form Midgard. From Ymir's flesh, the brothers made the earth, and from his shattered bones and teeth they made the rocks and stones. From Ymir's blood, they made the rivers and lakes. Ymir's skull was made into the sky, secured at four points by four dwarfs named East, West, North, and South. And from Ymir's brains, they shaped the clouds and Ymir's eye-brows became a barrier between Jotunheim (giant's home) and Midgard, the place where men now dwell. Odin and his brothers are also attributed with making humans.

After having made earth from Ymir's, the three brothers came across two logs (or an ash and an elm tree). Odin gave them breath and life; Vili gave them brains and feelings; and Ve gave them hearing and sight. The first man was Ask and the first woman was Embla and from them all human families are descended. Many kings and royal houses claim to trace their lineage back to Odin through Ask and Embla.

Odin ventured to Mímir's Well, near Jötunheim, the land of the giants, not as Odin, but as Vegtam the Wanderer, clothed in a dark blue cloak and carrying a traveller's staff. To drink from the Well of Wisdom Odin had to sacrifice his left eye, symbolizing his willingness to gain the knowledge of the past, present and future. As he drank, he saw all the sorrows and troubles that would fall upon men and the gods. But he also saw why the sorrow and troubles had to come to men.

Mímir accepted Odin's eye and it sits today at the bottom of the Well of Wisdom as a sign that the father of the gods had paid the price for wisdom. Sacrifice for the greater good is a recurring theme in Norse mythology. Tyr sacrificed his hand to fetter Fenrisulfr, and similar to Odin, Heimdall sacrificed his hearing to Mímir to gain wisdom.
Quote by Embodiment
The hanged man of my tarot deck is supposed to be Odin and there's a weird story behind his hanging upside down. Because I'm too lazy to research/type that I'll just post some Wiki stuff.

I just read Oedipus Rex, and when the parents get this prophecy, they bind their toddler son's feet and leave him on an isolated mountain to die. Apparently the ancient Greeks did this commonly, because they saw letting your kids die by the elements as better than outright killing them, so imagine walking through the forest and finding this emaciated 7 or 8 year-old who's just wandering around because his parents left him there... if you play around with the kid's last moments, that'd invoke horror
You could make a big song about 105 years in the future when no one knows what a guitar is. Then some guy finds one but the elders think it's stupid. Then everyone dies.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Apep (Egyptian god of darkness and chaos) was a wicked god figure.
Apep was a huge serpent (or crocodile) which lived in the waters of Nun or in the celestial Nile. Each day he attempted to disrupt the passage of the solar barque of Re. In some myths, Apep was an earlier and discarded sun-god himself. This helps to explain the snake's strength and his resentment of the daily journey of the sun. In Seth's battle for the throne of Egypt, he claimed that he was stronger than Horus because it was he that stood at the prow of the solar barque and defeated the enemies of Re.

Apep was a genuine threat to Re and his daily travels. At times he was successful and when this occurred stormy weather would occur. When Apep swallowed the barque, there was a solar eclipse.

He never had a lasting victory though because of the prayers of the priests and religious. A book called, The Books of Overthrowing Apep contained a list of his secret names and a number of hymns that celebrate Re's victories. According to the book, Apep had been previously killed, hacked to pieces, dismembered and thrown into the abyss. However, he always came back to life to attack Re the next day. Egyptians would go to the temples and make images of snakes out of wax. They would spit in the images, then burn and mutilate them. Doing this and reciting the spells in the Books of Overthrowing Apep helped ensure Re's continued success and victory over the snake.

Titles of the chapters of the first book are as follows:

Chapter of Spitting Upon Apep
Chapter of Defiling Apep with the Left Foot
Chapter of Taking a Lance to Smite Apep
Chapter of Fettering Apep
Chapter of Taking a Knife to Smite Apep
Chapter of Putting Fire Upon Apep
Following books describe in detail the destruction which will fall upon Apep. According to these, Apep will first be speared, then sliced with red-hot knives so that every bone of his body has been separated, his head, legs and tail are cut off. His remains are then scorched, singed, and roasted, finally to be consumed by fire. The same fate awaits Apep's confederates and everything which formed parts of him, them, and all their offspring (their shadows, souls, doubles, and spirits).

Lucifer and Lilith are really good mythological characters too. Lucifer is overdone in BM but a lot of bands just make up the Satan crap. The earlier Luciferian myths were really interesting. Paradise Lost is a good book about that. [/nerd]
Quote by Siftings
I just read Oedipus Rex, and when the parents get this prophecy, they bind their toddler son's feet and leave him on an isolated mountain to die. Apparently the ancient Greeks did this commonly, because they saw letting your kids die by the elements as better than outright killing them, so imagine walking through the forest and finding this emaciated 7 or 8 year-old who's just wandering around because his parents left him there... if you play around with the kid's last moments, that'd invoke horror

This is an awesome idea, dude. Either from a 3rd person view, death's view as he slowly creeps up on the child, or even a first person view would kick ass I think. keep em coming!
You should buy this book I have. Urban Legends: 666 Absolutely True Stories That Happened To A Friend Of A Friend.....Of A Friend. By Thomas J.Craughwell. Has a shitload including one of the Jersey Devil and New Jersey Cults.

Or maybe the story of Skinned Tom? He had sex with a woman who cheated on her wife. The husband went made with rage and slaughtered his wife and then skinned Tom alive. Tom supposedly lived through it and does the same to others.
What's up?
Quote by Embodiment
Apep (Egyptian god of darkness and chaos) was a wicked god figure.

Lucifer and Lilith are really good mythological characters too. Lucifer is overdone in BM but a lot of bands just make up the Satan crap. The earlier Luciferian myths were really interesting. Paradise Lost is a good book about that. [/nerd]

Damn Embodiment. We need girls like you in Rhode Island Thats amazing! All these great ideas <3
maybe do each song about a really obscure scary horror flick, but behave as if its real and happening to you or your the evil or whatever from it.
On a scale of one to awesome...
I'm the sh!t.

Quote by mr.cheese..
GYMCLASSHERO!!!!! THANK YOU FOR LIBERATING MY TESTACLES AND PENIS!!! (at least on the weekends)!!!
Quote by insideac
Damn Embodiment. We need girls like you in Rhode Island Thats amazing! All these great ideas <3

Aww. <3
Ok here's some stuff on Lilith.

Dissection's Dark mother Divine which ist krieg and must be included:
From her throne of skulls rules our Queen of endless might
She is the initiator of dark dreams - Bringer of Luciferian light
She is Satan's mistress, a reflection of the Black Sun
A Queen of the sinister moon - She's our dark mother divine

Lilith - Our Dragon Goddess
Taninsam - Destroyer of lies
For your glory we kill this world
In thy name we Sacrifice

Bringer of nocturnal light
Grant us the powers of the eyeless sight
Unveil thyself our obscene Queen
And cleanse us with the Black Flames of your beauty

We are your faithful children
And we call upon you in this blackest of rites
Open now the gate that is your womb
Engulf our spirits with your raging night

We wash your lotus feet with blood
The life force of our enemy
We slay all those who would defy you
And with grim death seal their destiny

Grant us the powers of the eyeless sight
Unveil thyself our obscene Queen
And cleanse us with the Black Flames of your beauty

Lilith, we cry out thy name
Bless us with thy infernal presence
And open the pathway

Ishet Zenunim Taninsam Ama Lilith, Liftoach Kliffot!

Dark Mother, Mother Divine!
Dark Mother, Mother Divine!

Dark Mother of Wrathful Chaos - Come forth through the gate
Grant us the blessings of the dark bleeding moon
Virgin, mother, ***** and crone
Open now wide the Kliffot's shell - Open wide the gates of Hell!
And lead us to the kingdom of Chaos where the dark gods forever dwell

And a brief description:
The angles who are in charge of medicine: Snvi, Snsvi, and Smnglof. After God created Adam, who was alone, He said, 'It is not good for man to be alone' (Gen. 2:18). He then created a woman for Adam, from the earth, as He had created Adam himself, and called her Lilith. Adam and Lilith began to fight. She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you, but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while am to be in the superior one.' Lilith responded, 'We are equal to each other inasmuch as we were both created from the earth.' But they would not listen to one another. When Lilith saw this, she pronounced the Ineffable Name and flew away into the air. Adam stood in prayer before his Creator: 'Sovereign of the universe!' he said, 'the woman you gave me has run away.' At once, the Holy One, blessed be He, sent these three angles to bring her back.

"Said the Holy One to Adam, 'If she agrees to come back, fine. If not she must permit one hundred of her children to die every day.' The angels left God and pursued Lilith, whom they overtook in the midst of the sea, in the mighty waters wherein the Egyptians were destined to drown. They told her God's word, but she did not wish to return. The angels said, 'We shall drown you in the sea.'

"'Leave me!' she said. 'I was created only to cause sickness to infants. If the infant is male, I have dominion over him for eight days after his birth, and if female, for twenty days.'

"When the angels heard Lilith's words, they insisted she go back. But she swore to them by the name of the living and eternal God: 'Whenever I see you or your names or your forms in an amulet, I will have no power over that infant.' She also agreed to have one hundred of her children die every day. Accordingly, every day one hundred demons perish, and for the same reason, we write the angels' names on the amulets of young children. When Lilith sees their names, she remembers her oath, and the child recovers."

It's hard to find anything interesting on Lilith but you could write about her suffering the children, or maybe develop on the alternate stories of her being Lucifer's mistress after leaving Adam. You're the creative one, you know better.
Quote by Embodiment
Aww. <3
Ok here's some stuff on Lilith.

Dissection's Dark mother Divine which ist krieg and must be included:

And a brief description:

It's hard to find anything interesting on Lilith but you could write about her suffering the children, or maybe develop on the alternate stories of her being Lucifer's mistress after leaving Adam. You're the creative one, you know better.

Pfft if I was the creative one, I wouldnt have made this thread
Quote by insideac
Pfft if I was the creative one, I wouldnt have made this thread

Yeah but you're the one that'll do the writting, I'm just providing sources of information.
Be cool to base songs off of Milton's Paradise lost and/or Dante's Inferno like Iced Earth has done.
Quote by the spiker
Be cool to base songs off of Milton's Paradise lost and/or Dante's Inferno like Iced Earth has done.

Yeah but...thats been done before