Well, as the title states, I have just started to play acoustic guitar, and I decided to go with the Dean Performer-E guitar. I chose it because of the looks, the onboard tuner, it is electric/acoustic, because of the advice from some friends of mine that said Dean is a great company. Well, I'm pretty satisfied with the guitar, really have nothing to complain about, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about Dean guitars. Did I make the right choice? BTW, how do I adjust the action, and how do I check for good intonation -(what does that even mean?)...I just want to know for future reference. Also, quick question about humidifiers. Do I need one. I just leave my guitar on the stand in my bedroom...which remains at a fairly constant 65 degrees...is this ok? Or do humidifiers only need to be used when they are in a hard-case?

Thanks..

heres my guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Performer-E-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519820
Yeah, it is acutally a good guitar. Ive played my buddys Dean Preformer E. The body is made from a pretty cheap yet good sounding wood, mahogony. I like spruce..its a nice crisp tone. The action is adjusted by the hexbolt in the soundhole. tighen it to pull the strings closer to the fretboard. Too close can buzz and too far away sounds like crap.
Checking for good Intonation, is easy. Play the 12th fret on the high E...ok..no play the harmonic at the 12th fret on the same string.. if they sound the same.. then its good intonation. And if it doesnt sound good...i have no idea how to fix it.. maybe just a crappy guitar.
Guitars.

Seagull Entourage Rustic Q1
Washburn D-10 N 93'
Jay turser.. i dunno what model.
I personally don't think electronics are a good idea in lower end acoustics, mainly because the money you spend on the electronics is better put towards better woods.

That guitar does not have a Solid wood used for the soundboard. Which is fine for at first. But you will find yourself wanting to upgrade sometime soonish.
It happened to me and I regret not spending an extra $100 to get a Yamaha FG700S or something like that.

It is very likely though, that at first you will not be able to tell the difference between a Taylor and your Dean. But later on you will want something with at least a Solid top
I think Dean is a good company and I own an Exotica QSE. I dont plug my acoustics in as much as I used to because I have found that I prefer the tone unamplified. I still buy them just in case I want to though. Dean makes a decent product for a reasonable price and is a good beginner guitar. "johnos" is right though you may find you would like a solid wood guitar down the road. I recently purchase a Breedlove AC/25 SR plus and it is definately my favorite acoustic guitar. For Breedlove this is priced quite reasonably...about $625. Good luck...keep on playin!
I have no idea what you mean when you say to play the harmonic at the 12th fret...do you mean that I should play the open high E string, and then play the 12 fret of the high E string and see if they sound the same?

Thanks for the help; Can someone answer my question about humidifiers?
I personally dont like dean guitars. and I agree with johnos. Not a fan of electronics on cheap guitars, and once you get better you will find yourself wanting to upgrade.
as for humidifiers you wont need one with a laminate guitar.
Quote by CxS
I have no idea what you mean when you say to play the harmonic at the 12th fret...do you mean that I should play the open high E string, and then play the 12 fret of the high E string and see if they sound the same?

Thanks for the help; Can someone answer my question about humidifiers?

You play a string with it fretted at the 12th fret.
So if you do this on the low E string (that fattest string) then you are playing an E note still, just it is an octave higher than when you play that string open.

The 12th fret is also where the string is divided exactly in half, and if you just touch the string over the 12th fret and play it you will get a bell like tone called a harmonic.
You can also play harmonics on the 5th and 7th frets. Just make sure you are not holding the string down, just touch it with a finger, making sure to touch it right over the 12th fret. and then play the string. Search the lessons part of this website for more info on harmonics.

But just play the string with it fretted at the 12th fret, and then lift your figner up so you are just touching the string over the 12th fret to make the harmonic. They will sound different. But as you develop an ear for tone and all that you will be able to pick out how the sounds are pretty much the same.