For those of you who didn't take lessons, how are you doing in terms of your skill level...how long have you been playing for? Are there any famous musicians who never took lessons, but instead taught themselves? I'm debating whether I should take lessons, or continue teaching myself...I tend to do well learning by books/dvd...and just by simply messing around. Also, I'm always tight on cash, so lessons would be hard to afford for me. Anyways, please give me some input, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
i'm self taught.
check out my recordings in my sig.
and for lessons, just look at lessons and stuff on UG

most famous musicians took lessons, but they quickly owned their teachers with their talents.
such as jimmy page, ritchie blackmore, etc.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
As long as you know the basics and know where to go if you need to learn something new, you don't NEED lessons.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I took lessons for about a year and half and was self-taught after that. I wish I would have gotten a real professional teacher because even though I was still able to learn a lot on my own, there were a lot of tips and tricks I missed out on. Plus you will easily develop bad habits because no one is there to stop you.
my advice.....get a teacher to teach u the basic knowledge you need to play guitar...after you have mastered all of that( literally mastered all of it) kick him out and get to the harder stuff

if those calises dont hurt...somethings wrong
My gear:
Fender Jazz Bass
Ampeg BA115
for bad habbits and tips and tricks, just watch videos of famous guitarists on youtube.
the 2001 eric clapton live concert has some kickass footage of closeups on his fingers.
i learned so much from it.
also, if u're into metal and neo-classical stuff, malmsteen, petrucci, michael angelo batio and them have lots of videos posted all over youtube so check those out. petrucci videos are very nice. he "teaches" compared to malmsteen, who "plays"
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Self taught...

What I do is that I go to a teacher occasionally (In the span of 2-3 years of playing, I only went about 4-5 times.) And I gather what he teaches me and I encorporate that into my playing...

I say, playing with a teacher too much is a bit unhealthy, imo. It's better to make your own style rather to copy someone elses.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
i played without a teacher for a year...didn't get very far. then i got a teacher and doubled my skill in a month or two. get a teacher at least to get you started....or even every other week or something.

if you're low on cash then get your callauses going, learn the C A G E and D chords, and Am, Dm, Em, and then get a teacher.
I'm self-taught and I suck. The same will happen to you. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!!
Quote by yawn
I'm self-taught and I suck. The same will happen to you. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!!

I you, yawn.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

I you, yawn.

Go ahead...LAUGH at my LOSS!

Use CUTE SMILEYS in the midst of my TORMENT and MISERY!
i'm self-taught, been playing for over a year now, i think i'm doing alright...i'm not where i'd like to be on theory (i know little to none) but i can play a lot of different types of stuff
I've been playing for little bit over a year and I'm better then my friend who has been playing for 3 years with on and off lessons. He does know a lot more about the basics and theory then I do, but I can out play him. It depends on how dedicated you are and what songs you choose to learn. But if you want to know about the Basics/Theory go get lessons
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412

Col. Catman of the KISS ARMY UG REGIMENT:
PM Sloopy to join up!
I use lessons to expand on my technique also. I built up my vibrato just after one lesson...and numerous hours of practicing!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by ECistheBest
i'm self taught.
check out my recordings in my sig.
and for lessons, just look at lessons and stuff on UG

most famous musicians took lessons, but they quickly owned their teachers with their talents.
such as jimmy page, ritchie blackmore, etc.

Well your not self taught then are you??? If you look at lessons on the internet you are not self taught, someone has taught you via a different form of media.... There are not too many people out there who were honestly self taught....Alot of the blues guys such as muddy waters and hendrix were predominantly self taught..... Buckethead was also another one untill he started getting lessons off Paul Gilbert..... I dont know about page, but Blackmore was definatly not self taught.... He got classical lessons for a while when he was young...
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I think lessons are great. They really help you concentrate on technique and focus your energy and time, especially when you are a bit clueless on what to teach yourself. There are lots of famous musicians that were self taught. Kenny Wayne Shepherd, who I met a few days ago, taught himself after he went to get lessons and all the instructor asked him was "What song do you want to learn." KWS replied with "I want to learn how to play the guitar." The instructor retorted with "Would you like to learn Sweet Child O Mine." hahaha
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by CxS
For those of you who didn't take lessons, how are you doing in terms of your skill level...how long have you been playing for? Are there any famous musicians who never took lessons, but instead taught themselves? I'm debating whether I should take lessons, or continue teaching myself...I tend to do well learning by books/dvd...and just by simply messing around. Also, I'm always tight on cash, so lessons would be hard to afford for me. Anyways, please give me some input, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

If you want to advance quickly, get a decent, qualified teacher... Ive been playing for 6 years now.... I started getting lessons after about a year, had them for 2 years... By the end i was preety much as good as my teacher, so i stopped for two years and worked on technique.... Then i found another teacher, who is probably one of the best guitarists in australia and now get lessons off him.... Its amazing how much more you get inspired to play when you have an inspiring teahcer
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I honestly don't like my teacher...we play with the crappiest gear in the crappiest room and he's sort of a...well...a jerk. I wouldn't think he would be as qualified for me because honestly, I don't feel a connection between us as student and teacher...Also, to threadstarter, if you ever decide to get a teacher, find someone who inspires you, it makes it all the better.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I've been self-taught for a year now. I know sufficient theory to jam, to write my own music. My skill level I don't really know, but if I were to rate it base on songs, I can play 100% of "crazy train" throughout and 90% of "Mr.Crowley". Those two songs might not be hard to others but that's just how I would rate myself.

I think self-taught takes alot of self discipline, passion, and patience. I create myself a schedule and I go through it every day. When I was in highschool it was 8 hours of practice a day but now that I'm in college I have to cut it down to 6 hours a day or practice. My schedule goes something like this:

Theory Learning => Testing of theory => Applying Theory I just learned => Finger excercises => Playing along to songs => Jamming to non-rock => Jamming to rock => random

It's all in how much you're willing to learn, be criticize, how to evaluate your self and admiting your weaknesses. At least to me it is. Many times I've thought maybe it would be good to get a teacher but then I realize that I can learn certain things through internet or books..
Quote by Jinskee
Self taught...

What I do is that I go to a teacher occasionally (In the span of 2-3 years of playing, I only went about 4-5 times.) And I gather what he teaches me and I encorporate that into my playing...

I say, playing with a teacher too much is a bit unhealthy, imo. It's better to make your own style rather to copy someone elses.

Playing with a teacher doesn't mean that you take their style. My teacher's style is essentially the opposite of mine. I see him for half an hour a week. I don't learn technique with him, I really just go there for theory. I teach myself new techniques.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
it doesnt really matter about lessons and teachers, the best thing to do is get out there and play with other guitarists. that's the best way in my experience.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by CxS

Thanks

dunno of many famous guitarists never had lessons, but theres probably a lot.. i don't think anyone taught Hendrix how to play guitar.

I'm self taught with the holding back of being lefty but playing righty because... i couldn't afford a left handed guitar, so i stuck with what i already had. I learnt by ear, i guess i haven't learnt any skills that the sort of musicians i listen to never used. i feel like i should be better after nearly 10 years of playing, but i'm not that bad :p and i really don't think lessons would've helped.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Having an impressive teacher is inspiration if anything else. I bear to think how many bad teachers there are that just simply teach for the money, but actually have very limited skills of teaching. How de-motivating is it when you play with someone who you know is simply there for the money and doesnt actually teach that well? ALOT!

For example, i took lessons after about a year of starting and i look forward to every lesson now. I didn't imagine that i could learn so much, but you do if you persue the interest enough. If i didnt take lessons, i really doubt i would have the motivation to look up the large amounts of theory that i now know with the aid of a teacher. My teacher is the best guitar player i know, and what makes it nice is the fact that he really only started playing seriously around four years ago, and he is only about 23 so we get on really well. Having a good relationship with your teacher is vital if you want to make the most of yourself. How many of you that take lessons could honestly say that you don't sometimes just let your teacher explain things but you are just inclined to let him show you and dont actually try it there and then?

Some people are happy to play the guitar to their favourite songs as they please, but i personally want to get as much diversity as i can in my playing, so i dont just ask to learn one scale or mode, but instead i will make it my target to learn them all. Playing songs will develop your technique and give you ideas about how to mix scales and modes around, because it is easy enough to run out of ideas and play the scales up and down.
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war..."
It just depends on who you are personally. I feel that I wouldn't benefit much from lessons and learn more from just playing a stupid amount and jamming with skilled players. However, my best mate sais himself that without lessons, he'd of forgotten about guitar playing long ago.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i remember reading somewhere that marty friedman (ex lead guitarist for megadeth) was self taught. he was able to figure out the pentatonics and all that crap without anyone telling him about it. the guitar just made SENSE to him... kind of like how the piano made sense for beethoven (for those who dont know, he was deaf). im in no way saying marty friedman is as great a guitarist as beethoven is as a pianist (i dont even really like megadeth), its just an analogy.
Last edited by Ryank285 at Feb 27, 2007,