whenever i play my E string its normal sound is fine but there is an extra little high pitched squeely/squeaky sound in the background, its not coming from my amp, its coming from my actual bass guitar, i have it tuned perfectly, and i tried tuning it jsut a bit off, and thats not the problem, but when i tune it WAY off it works.... whats wrong? how do i fix this?
Does it happen when you're unplugged? If not, then it could be a problem with your electronics, pickups possibly picking up feedback or something of the sort.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Its just a harmonic its totally normal. Whenever you play a note on the guitar you will hear that note but there are also other notes playing but you don't usually hear them because they are drowned out buy the main not. I wouldn't worry about because its not being emited through the amp so it wont pose any problems when playing gigs and such.
ya it happens when its unplugged, and idk, it doesnt sound like a harmonic, it sounds like a skateboard when u get it wet, but i didnt get my bass wet
it sounds like a skateboard when u get it wet, but i didnt get my bass wet
lolz, can't imagine why a wet skateboard sounds much different to a normal one.

He's not talking about harmonics like natural or pinched harmonics but the harmonics that are present due to the nodes and the like inherent in strings (learn about it in Physics, 1st harmonic etc) this is probably the sound u here. Otherwise post a little sound file so we get a better idea.
a wet skate squeaks when its wet, because the grease on the bearings in the wheels get all funky.................................................................................................i think.

So you probably have to regrease teh bearings on your bass.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50