ok

I've got a peavey milestone II p-bass. The volume pot stopped working on it, so i decided to rewire both the volume and tone. Oddly. with much difficulty, I managed to switch the pots and produce a sound from the bass... too bad its not the sound i wanted. For some reason the pots work perfectly, but all that gets emitted from the amp is a sharp buzzing tone (which i can control) but no bass sound.

Does the type of wire/solder you use matter?
Would it be grounded wrong?
Did i maybe screw something up beyond repair?

I am not nearly any kind of wiring expert, so bear with me.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Wire shouldn't matter as long as you're using something reasonable. Same with solder. 60/40 rosin core is probably your best bet. It would be pretty hard to screw it up beyond repair. Ground sounds possible. Go over everything and make sure it's soldered well and making good continuity. If you still have nothing take some HQ pics and put them on here.
Oddly. with much difficulty, I managed to switch the pots and produce a sound from the bass... too bad its not the sound i wanted.

there is nothing odd about that. the pots should be identical, the difference is in how they are connected.

if you are certain the volume pot was "bad", you might be better off just using the tone pot as a volume pot, and not using the "bad" pot at all.

Does the type of wire/solder you use matter?

yes. there is a difference between solder used for electronics and solder for plumbing.

the stuff for plumbing uses an acid flux that will slowly corrode the wires.

Would it be grounded wrong?

maybe. you didn't post a diagram of how you re-wired it, and you weren't specific about any changes you made. i can't read minds....................well, at least, not yet.

Did i maybe screw something up beyond repair?

maybe, but probably just a wiring error.

here's a link to a Fender P-bass wiring diagram. the Peavey is probably wired the same.

http://fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0136100B/SD0136100BPg2upg2.pdf
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.