Hello all, glad to have joined the forums. ^_^ I've been playing guitar for about 3 years or so on my own (no formal instruction) and I have some questions...

1. Is it always better to play things in the formal position? (i.e, thumb placed squarely at the back of the neck of the guitar) On some songs I tend to wrap my thumb around the neck in order to get a better grip on the guitar, but I've heard that is a no-no. (I'm also wondering if this applies to electric playing as well.)

2. I'm trying to play Romance de Amor right now, but I have a lot of trouble with a particular section in which I have to full barre on the 7th fret and stretch my pinky down to the 11th...so far I've been practicing it each day, but I don't seem to be coming closer to succeeding and my hand hurts besides. I don't want to learn any bad habits concerning fingering, so is there another way to go about doing this?

So far I can sort of manage to do it when I sort of "brace" my pinky against the string...it forms a 45 degree angle of a sort...but is there a better way? (sorry for my unclear description...kind of hard to explain...)
hmm ur playing a guitar for 3 years..so if ur hand is hurting much , may be the three time is not enough for you...

it's on how long you played , it's on how how well you play..

ONE WORD..practice more....may be ur not that gifted but you can always practice..
about your thumb question many songs that ive learned to play *ie john mayer, doesnt matter if you guys like him or not, anyway the songs require you to fret the E string bass note with your thumb--so i would say it justs depends on the song and how you feel most comfortable playing
wow were u in a car accident or a plane crash that somehow enables u to play guitar! 3 years! u should be playin petruci by now...
"I can't live my life alwayz worried about what if....
cuz what if i die tomorrow and i never even lived!"
Don't listen to all the people bashing you. If you want to be a classical guitarist then doing it without formal training is pretty darn hard. You're going to develop bad habits. In classical guitar I believe having the thumb out of position is an absolute no no. If you can't reach it keep on practicing.

Actually .. how are you holding your guitar? I just realized this may be a big issue. If its on your left leg (assuming you're a righty) as it supposed to be then you should be able to make the bar and the stretch. If you're holding it on your right leg like you would a steel string .. then its going to be a lot harder. Try holding it on your left leg. Put the left foot on something to elevate it in the air. Does that all make sense?
Well, if you have ignored really strengthening your pinky over those 3 years, this may be tougher for you to learn. Practicing pulloffs/hammerons in between the ring and pinky finger will help a lot with strengthening, as will going across the string playing 2 note per string exercises using only your pinky and ring finger. I would start by doing this with adjacent frets until the stretch becomes easier, then increase a frets distance in between them. I hope I am making myself clear in what I'm suggesting. The focus here is to slowly build up a tolerance for stretch between the ring and pinky finger which will allow you to make such reaches, as you are refering to, with ease.
Quote by ravinbay
hmm ur playing a guitar for 3 years..so if ur hand is hurting much , may be the three time is not enough for you...

it's on how long you played , it's on how how well you play..

ONE WORD..practice more....may be ur not that gifted but you can always practice..

I like how PRACTICE MORE is one word. i like how you count i'm a dick
Guitars.

Seagull Entourage Rustic Q1
Washburn D-10 N 93'
Jay turser.. i dunno what model.