Hi, I made a similar thread over in the acoustic section, but I'm going to put all my electric-specific queries here...

I've been playing electric guitar (self-taught) for about 2 years now, and I have a couple of questions...

1. How do you normally work out the fingering for a song? Generally I feel I can play most songs pretty ok, but sometimes I wonder whether to use my index fingers, ring fingers etc when shifting from one string to another...should I adopt the "one finger one fret" classical approach, or just play what seems to come naturally?

2. When I release my fingers from a string sometimes, the string still rings...why does this happen? I try not to push down too heavily or lightly to minimize interference, and I'm sure my other fingers aren't touching the string either. Could I be fretting it incorrectly?

Umm, I guess that's all for now. ^_^ Thanks in advance!
Quote by Berabouman
Hi, I made a similar thread over in the acoustic section, but I'm going to put all my electric-specific queries here...

I've been playing electric guitar (self-taught) for about 2 years now, and I have a couple of questions...

1. How do you normally work out the fingering for a song? Generally I feel I can play most songs pretty ok, but sometimes I wonder whether to use my index fingers, ring fingers etc when shifting from one string to another...should I adopt the "one finger one fret" classical approach, or just play what seems to come naturally?

2. When I release my fingers from a string sometimes, the string still rings...why does this happen? I try not to push down too heavily or lightly to minimize interference, and I'm sure my other fingers aren't touching the string either. Could I be fretting it incorrectly?

Umm, I guess that's all for now. ^_^ Thanks in advance!

do what feels natural and try Using your pinky as much as possible, it will come in handy later.

I had that problem too dont know how but I fixed it. Just practice i guess sorry

1) I'm agreeing with Pepelepeu on that one.

2) Yea, it happens to a lot of beginners, just gotta practice really and figure a way of not letting it continue to ring.
I know of people using their picking hand (lightly) on the strings to minimize this.
I'm finding this so hard to explain for some reason. So Basically, just practice your fretting more.
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.