ive got some questions about pickups and fender.

1. why is the seymour duncan antiquity pride II pickups (60s sound) almost twice the price of the fender custom shop '62 p-bass pickup? they're basically the same

2. im looking for the custom shop '59 p-bass pickup found on the mike dirnt p-bass and the fender '59 p-bass relic. i couldnt find it on the fender website. would a music store special order it from fender for me if i ask?

3. is there a pickup that is really similar to the '59 p-bass pickup?

thanks

ps. include links too if possible please!!
1. The SD Antiquity pickups have far more engineering in them and more closely recreate the sound of vintage pickups. The Fender pickups use the same specifications as those built in '62, but the construction isn't as good and the impedence, etc. do not always match up. There's also markup for the SD pickups

2. You can't find it on the site because it's a Custom Shop pickup, as in they were custom made for those basses and are not offered for seperate sale. You could order it special but you'd pay out the ass for it, it's not worth it.

3. The Seymour Duncans are really probably the closest you'd get. And to be honest most traditional P pups are manufactured to very similar specs.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by musiclover2399
^There he goes again. Homeboy nailed it like I nail attractive females.

Ok but seriously he's right, just get a SD antiquity pickup.

Someone wants to make someone's sig, eh?

Anyway, don't forget that Antiquities are also 'relic-ed', which adds to the cost. A relic-ed bass is over $1000 more than a non-relic-ed bass at the Fender Custom Shop.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Someone wants to make someone's sig, eh?

Anyway, don't forget that Antiquities are also 'relic-ed', which adds to the cost. A relic-ed bass is over $1000 more than a non-relic-ed bass at the Fender Custom Shop.

ok thanks canadianpunk. yeah, sort of, i was planning on putting them on a standard p-bass :p

do you know how i can special order it?

edit: does relic mean that is actually from that year (like 1960)
^ No, it basically means they paid someone to take a perfectly nice-looking pup and beat on it so it looks old and used.

And, do you mean special order the Fender pup, or the SDs?
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 28, 2007,
Quote by canadianpunk071
^ No, it basically means they paid someone to take a perfectly nice-looking pup and beat on it so it looks old and used.

And, do you mean special order the Fender pup, or the SDs?

the fender pup
Quote by N01
the fender pup

Your best bet is to go on their site, and find a contact email that you can use. Just send off an email explaining what you want and they'll be able to advise you.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Go to a guitar shop with that's a Fender dealer; they can get you anything. I had to order a lightweight American Deluxe left handed nylon cased bass tuner, and they ordered it from Mexico for me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..