why are those upright basses so expensive? u know those really long ugly (imo) ones that costs thousands? why?
plus they cant really be mass produced
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Well, you can get cheap ones too. I know you can get a Stagg double bass for about AUD$500.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
Well, you can get cheap ones too. I know you can get a Stagg double bass for about AUD$500.

DO NOT! I REAPEAT DO NOT BUY ANY DOUBLE BASS UNDER $2000AUD
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Umm i really can't believe you asked that question. Why is a piano (good one) a couple of grand.
Uprights should be made by experts, and then you have to pay there price. There is a lot of precision that goes into making one of those, there's like i dunno 20-30 kilos of finely crafted wood.

These in my opinion are the most beautiful of all instruments (pity i couldn't afford one to save my life)!!
Quote by DrWarm
These in my opinion are the most beautiful of all instruments

agreed, beautiful sound, amazing carved looks on the quality ones. my friend has one from the 1700's, it's an amazing insttrument.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Amazing and pretty hard to play lol...
if you wanna learn to play bass on my island,its impossible the only music school here just supports double bass.
maybe ill join
AbsentMind
Imagine this, if you will.

Over 700 LBs of pure string tention from 4 stainless steel strings less than 1/4th of an inch thick pulling against an arm of wood about 2" thick and pushing against a slab of wood less than 1/16ths of an inch thick.. Being rooted to a body made from extremely thin wood with a tail peice that (usually) isn't even bolted into teh body! It is just glued there!

With less than 20% of the body structure designed to keep the thing from snappign in on itself and cutting up the poor fool who plays one!

There is ALOT of tention that is contained in a Double Bass! It is a miracle of modern day wood working that those things don't snap in on themselves!
because they sound so great, much better than any electric instrument once you develop your taste for bass
Quote by groll01
DO NOT! I REAPEAT DO NOT BUY ANY DOUBLE BASS UNDER $2000AUD

Yeah, I never said they were good.

But my school has some $500 double bass, it's not bad. It's last years and years, and it's still going strong. It goes out of tune fairly easily, but you can compensate since it's fretless.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I like my $1200 double bass, sure its no hand crafted puglisi 1$6,000 wonder, buts ts better then the ones at school!
Quote by Dave_Mc
For the cost of a Mesa Roadking, I could alternatively purchase Belgium.
My school has one double bass, and I don't believe it's ever been used, but from the play I've had with it it's in an awful condition. And since it's my school, i know it was cheap. As already said, they're expensive because they're bloody miracles.

Gorgeous too.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
My school has one double bass, and I don't believe it's ever been used, but from the play I've had with it it's in an awful condition. And since it's my school, i know it was cheap. As already said, they're expensive because they're bloody miracles.

Gorgeous too.

Our school has one but it doesn't have strings, and the school are too stingy to buy a set so it looks like i will never get to play it. They won't even ****ing sell the thing! It just sits there taking up space
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!