i want to know which one im gonna get. I play a lot of red hot chili peppers and incubus.
Im leaning towards sd-1 overdrive but i think im gonna miss out on the distortion.
Should i just get both and get it over with?
Well i own a SD-1, and yeah, you're pretty much right, i gives some killer OD for a cheapo pedal, but yes, if you want to distortion, as both names suggest, y can guess which one you need, they are both fairly inexpensive (boss) pedals, and i was considering this myself, though i may hunt for a more maneuverable distortion, but ultimmately, its up to you.

themitch
The DS-1 is designed to use on the clean channel on solid-state amps. The SD-1 is designed to overdrive tubes on the overdrive channel of tube amps.
Using a distortion pedal on a tube amp is pretty stupid if you ask me, and vice-versa (Overdrive pedal on a solid-state amp).
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pleiadian
The DS-1 is designed to use on the clean channel on solid-state amps. The SD-1 is designed to overdrive tubes on the overdrive channel of tube amps.
Using a distortion pedal on a tube amp is pretty stupid if you ask me, and vice-versa (Overdrive pedal on a solid-state amp).

just because it doesnt give the same effect doesnt render them useless or anything. There's so many tonal qualities u can pursue by using ODs on a SS or a dist. on a tube amp. my setup on my amp involves a TS9DX into a DS1 and it sounds awesome when i need it to do something specific.

a big name that might make u reconsider what u said is Steve Vai. He got his DS-1 modded by Keeley and it's got a TS9 at the end of the circuit. Plus he uses other overdrive pedals as well. and he uses a Carvin Legacy signature. and damn it it's Steve Vai.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
John Frusciante uses a DS-1 and a DS-2
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/576/
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Pleiadian

I disagree, the sd-1 works pretty awesome on the clean channel of the tube amp as well.
Quote by grim1
I disagree, the sd-1 works pretty awesome on the clean channel of the tube amp as well.

That's because it's still overdriving the tubes a bit. I was talking about using an overdrive pedal on the clean channel of a solid-state amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator