Hi

I've been thinking about buying an old used (or maybe even a new) banjo somewhere to kinda screw around with and hopefully learn some cool bluegrass songs.
Now I've got a few questions,

1 Is playing Banjo very different than playing guitar?
2 I've seen a few banjo instruction video's and banjo players on the net and they all wore like these plectrums stuck to their right hand fingers by a ring attached to the plectrum or something, is that necessary or can you also just fingerpick with your nails/fingertops?
3 Does it take a big amount of time and practise before you can play a decent bluegrass/country song (or is it like same as on guitar)?
4 Is it fun?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Cizzie at Feb 27, 2007,
I dont play banjo, but i looked into them a while back, so my info might not be all right.

A banjo is different from a guitar; i believe banjos have 5 strings that are tuned different.

like so:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-B30-Banjo?sku=519217

Now here is a banjo that could be played like a guitar. (i.e. 6 strings and tuned like a guitar)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-BW6-Backwoods-6String-Banjo?sku=519798

And i would image you could use a fingerpick, but i believe it is easier to play with a plectrum.

I also think it would take practice to get skilled, just as any other instrument.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

you wont get the same sound without wearing the fingerpicks. as long as you have played in open g before, and are able to finger pick, then learning it is nt super hard. it can be frustrating, but once you figure something out its really fun.
i've played banjo a couple times, i feel i can answer these

I've been thinking about buying an old used (or maybe even a new) banjo somewhere to kinda screw around with and hopefully learn some cool bluegrass songs.
Now I've got a few questions,

1 Is playing Banjo very different than playing guitar? 

its tuned differently so your fingerings will be different

2 I've seen a few banjo instruction video's and banjo players on the net and they all wore like these plectrums stuck to their right hand fingers by a ring attached to the plectrum or something, is that necessary or can you also just fingerpick with your nails/fingertops? 

i use my fingers personally, not even the nails, just the finger tips as i would if i were to fingerpick a guitar

3 Does it take a big amount of time and practise before you can play a decent bluegrass/country song (or is it like same as on guitar)? 

naw, but it might take a little while to get used to the different tuning. just like a guitar though, you can tune it however you want, it just won't be "standard" banjo tuning

4 Is it fun? 

awwwwww yeah
Quote by Cizzie
Allright cool!

kirk hammet is greatest guitarist that ever lived
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who don't give a fuck !

Quote by epicaster

kirk hammet is greatest guitarist that ever lived

Errr yeah , .. his name is Kirk Hammett by the way.
But why do you mention this here?

And thanks alot Z4twenny!
1. its not too different, differnet tuning and less strings really.
2. fingerpicks are not nessecary, but if youre starting out, id use them
3. not too much time.. just learn the 4 or 5 basic rolls (pickin patterns) and youll be good to go
4. hell yeah its fun!!
Cool !
Well I can play some simple fingerpicking stuff on my guitar such as:
Nothing else Matters
Stairway to Heaven ( )
The Call of Ktulu (I fingerpick the clean parts)
And similair stuff...

So I'm not a total fingerpick noob I guess.
Cool, I really want a banjo now! Can't wait to learn Damned to Hell - John Butler (will take quite a while before I nail it I think )

Also I've noticed there are many different Banjo's, I'd like to play country/bluegrass/ indian sounding stuff, which one would suit me? I think the 5 string bluegrass banjo looks quite cool with its shorter first string.
^ all banjos (except 4 string banjos) have the short first string..

i have a 4 string banjo (aka tenor banjo) which is supposed to be for strumming, but i still fingerpick it.
Quote by hippie_cune
^ all banjos (except 4 string banjos) have the short first string..

i have a 4 string banjo (aka tenor banjo) which is supposed to be for strumming, but i still fingerpick it.

Me too. It's fun, but it's a lot harder to find information for it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ indeed.. i went to my local music shop the other day and asked for a book on 4 strings and the dude was like "you fingerpick it? theyre mainly for backup strumming." i laughed and was like "yeah, well it was 100 bucks and i didnt think i could find a better deal"