I am looking for a good distortion pedal and i have been told good things abot both of these so which one should i get
Guitars:
Dean DOA ML 04 #31/50 w/ Dimarzios
Dean ML Knight w/ EMG's
Dean Avalanche w/ EMG's
Jackson DXMGT w/ EMG's
Ibanez RG350M w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez V Blade w/ Dimarzios
Amps:
Marshall 8100 w/ Marshall Cab
I haven't tried the Rocktron Zombie, but I finally got to try out the Metal Muff this weekend. Honestly, I don't see what all the hype is about. It had that usual nasally sound that most 'metal' pedals have. I had the gain set at about 10-12 o'clock, no matter how I EQ'd the pedal (it wasn't the amp) it sounded nasally and buzzy. With the mids under 12 o'clock, the pedal sounded like crap. The usual buzzing tin can sound. With the mids above 12 o'clock, it reminded me of a Digitech Metal Master without as much gain. They both have that nasally buzzing distortion that I couldn't dial out.

I didn't even waste much time with the top boost, I had it at the lowest position and gradually raised it. That just seemed to make the pedal sound even fizzier. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with the Metal Muff, especially after seeing how many people on this site recommend it and consider it to be one of the best 'metal' pedals.
MUFF ALL THE WAY!

I have owned both, and the Muff sounds much better.
The Zombie had tons of gain, but no tone really. The thing was so trebly that I had to turn the trebble almost completelyto O on the zombie to make it sound OK. The distortion doesnt really have any life to it either, kinda sterile and dry to my ears. Where the Muff sounds more middy and crunch with a more natural sound. The muff has great distortion and plenty of gain with the distortion at 12 o clock. It does start to get noisy above 12 o clock, but I cant see the need for that much gain.

I am playing mine through an all tube amp so if you are running solid state you might have different results.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
i play metal
Guitars:
Dean DOA ML 04 #31/50 w/ Dimarzios
Dean ML Knight w/ EMG's
Dean Avalanche w/ EMG's
Jackson DXMGT w/ EMG's
Ibanez RG350M w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez V Blade w/ Dimarzios
Amps:
Marshall 8100 w/ Marshall Cab
yeah metal muff, ive been using one since it came out, and i have no idea what guitarmiester is talking about, mine only sounds nasally if the amp isnt EQed right.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I tried the Metal Muff with three different amps: Peavey 5150 paired with XXX cab, B-52 AT100 stack with two matching cabs, and a even tried it through one of those Crate tube amps (I forget the name, not the Blue Voodoo.) No matter how I EQ'd the amp or the pedal, I couldn't get rid of that annoying nasally sound. Like I said, mids under 12 o'clock sounded like crap. Reminded me of a Boss DS-2 in turbo mode (especially when I kicked on the top boost) with the tone and gain knob maxed out, that horrible buzzing distortion. Even with the mids from 2-5 o'clock (how I'd usually have them set) it still didn't sound that great, it just sounded nasally and weak.
Or, maybe I'm not into that nasally sound. I know how to EQ an amp and pedals, I just couldn't get the Metal Muff to sound good no matter how I EQ'd it.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Or, maybe I'm not into that nasally sound. I know how to EQ an amp and pedals, I just couldn't get the Metal Muff to sound good no matter how I EQ'd it.

what guitar were you using? mine is anything but nasally. but i use really bright guitars.
I used a used Ibanez RG470 (with EMG's), a Schecter C-1, and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I used a used Ibanez RG470 (with EMG's), a Schecter C-1, and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

thats why. all not so great guitars.
I wouldn't blame it on the guitars. The Metal Muff is just another over-hyped 'metal' pedal.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I wouldn't blame it on the guitars. The Metal Muff is just another over-hyped 'metal' pedal.

you think that.

i like it, so idc what you think.
That's fine with me. Everyone has their own tastes. The Metal Muff turned out to be a disappointment, especially after seeing how many people say how good it is. I missed one guitar that I used, the 1st one I picked up was a Fender Fat Strat -> Metal Muff -> 5150 with XXX cab.
Quote by Arlabester
thats why. all not so great guitars.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
The RG470 is actually a great guitar. They were made in Japan, they aren't the crappy low end Korean made RG's. The 470 was not stock either, this one was loaded with a Dimarzio PAF PRO, stock single coil, and Tone Zone. I'm not a big fan of Schecter guitars, but the Metal Muff didn't suck because of the guitars or amps I used, it was the pedal itself.