Page 1 of 2
Couldn't find one so I decided to make one. I'm not really a fan but I like some of their music and kind of needed some Stereophonics-fans-help because I felt a need for songs like "Vegas Two Times" but didn't know any.

So on topid my favourite songs of them are "Vegas Two Times", "Doorman" and "Mr. Writer".
Hmm, there's a couple like Vegas Two Times on You Gotta Go There To Come Back (terrible album though). Try Madame Helga and High as the Ceiling.

Performance and Cocktails (the album) has a lot of songs on in the same vein as Doorman.

As for Mr Writer, you're best off checking out Just Enough Education to Perform. It's also got Vegas on it, but has a lot of songs like Mr Writer. It's very dreary.

As far as I'm concerned their first album is the best. It's very pop/rock oriented and doesn't really have many songs on like the ones you've heard, but it has their best ones on it.
Local Boy in the Photograph is probably the best thing they've done, or will ever do.

Good band, but they don't mix it up much... they've found their sound, and they've stuck to it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Go and buy 'Word gets around' and then 'Performance and cocktails', they're both much better than any of the newer stuff (although I do quite like what I've heard of his solo album).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
Go and buy 'Word gets around' and then 'Performance and cocktails', they're both much better than any of the newer stuff (although I do quite like what I've heard of his solo album).

Solo album?

When? Where? Huh?

But completely agree, WGA and P&C are amazing albums, much better than the newer stuff.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
^It's new. Just Kel and an electric guitar played clean.

It's called Only The Names Have Been Changed, or something similar, and I think it's a download only at the minute. But it's on iTunes. All the songs are girls names, which is a crap gimmick.
Sweet, found it on emusic.com

I'll give it a whirl later today.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Abe
^It's new. Just Kel and an electric guitar played clean.

It's called Only The Names Have Been Changed, or something similar, and I think it's a download only at the minute. But it's on iTunes. All the songs are girls names, which is a crap gimmick.

The whole point about the title, 'only the names have been changed' is pointing out that the stories the songs are about are things that happened to friends/family (and stories he's been told about people) and to conceal the identities he changed the names of the people for the songs. At least that's what I've heard it's about. There's been a concert of him on VH1 recently (being repeated every other day) where he does a bit of talking around the songs. Not watched much of it.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
^I see.

Hmm, turn's into more of a concept than a gimmick then really.
Yeah, it seems like a nice concept, cheesyish, but nice.

Liked it on the first listen, haven't studied any lyrics or anything yet though.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Thought I'd bring back a Phonics thread, cos I must've had Billy Davey's Daughter on repeat to 30-40 minutes last night haha.

Even though I could have written the first couple of verses when I was 5 years old, the vocals at the end are just unbelievably good.

'He dree-aaahhhmmms'

What's anyone else think?
Okay, my mate just lent me Language, Sex, Violence, Other the other day, and i must say that i'm really liking what im hearing. Superman and Doorman have got to be my favourites on the album.

Anyways, I was thinking of picking up one of their other albums next time I go to the music store, any suggestions?
some say you're a troubled boy
just because you like to destroy
all the things that bring the idiots joy
well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

Friend?

Click Please
flickr
deviantART
word gets around ftw
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Yay, I love the 'Phonics- saw them mid-November and they were seriously amazing.

'Dakota' (off 'LSVO') is my fave of theirs, and one of my fave songs ever! I'm suprised the awesomeness of 'A Thousand Trees' (WGA), 'Handbags & Gladrags' (YGGTTCB), or 'Bartender & The Thief' (P&C) haven't already been mentionned. They are certainly a few of Phonic's most popular tunes.

Don't forget about other classics of theirs like 'Maybe Tomorrow' (YGGTTCB), 'Since I Told You It's Over' (YGGTTCB) and 'Just Looking' (P&C).

Abe- I wouldn't say YGGTTCB was that bad but it's probably my least fave Phonics record. I wish it would cheer up/speed up a bit too, and it's lacking anthemic songs like 'A Thousand Trees' and 'Bartender & The Thief'.

I really loved LSVO. 'Dakota' is obviously just pure legendary. 'Superman' is awesome, and when I saw them live, this was one of my favourites they did. 'Devil' and 'Pedalpusher' I think are under-rated too. 'Devil' is just class!

Anybody else think Pull The Pin is their best album to date? I absolutely love 'Stone', 'Crush' and 'Daisy Lane'. I think 'Bank Holiday Monday' and 'It Means Nothing' rock @ss too.

KelJ said that 'Lady Luck' is the hardest song he's ever had to try to sing. I don't think it's too bad a song but it doesn't compare with some on PTP!

Well that's all for today folks
Simon

You look just your mother...

You look just like your father...

Forgive him our father...

Your Son is smiling...
What about "Just Enough Education To Perform"

I think it's there best. Especially rooftops, vegas two times and watch them fly sundays.

Haven't heard the new album, though i've heard reviews that it wasn't too great.
Quote by str84ever
What about "Just Enough Education To Perform"

I think it's there best. Especially rooftops, vegas two times and watch them fly sundays.

Haven't heard the new album, though i've heard reviews that it wasn't too great.

LOL, fcuk the reviews! All reviews are pretty pointless because we each have individuality in our opinions! And I disagree with this particular review because it's a great ablum
Simon

Your Son is smiling...
Quote by yourmumsanemo!
LOL, fcuk the reviews! All reviews are pretty pointless because we each have individuality in our opinions! And I disagree with this particular review because it's a great ablum

Well i was asking for your opinions and you said its good. Though i haven't seen them on heavy rotation like Dakota was etc. on TV.

I will buy it in the near future then!
Quote by yourmumsanemo!

Down with reviews, I think all their albums are great and no one will tell me otherwise, damn tabloids.
Oddly enough I found a plectrum that I caught at their gig last year in Newcastle, when Richard threw it into the crowd at the end. I've never used a plectrum that thick so I know it's the same one. Ha. Yay for me!
ALL OF THEM!!!

Well I reckon you should either go for 'Word Gets Around' or 'Language, Sex, Violence, Other'. And the new album 'Pull The Pin' is a must. Then next on your Phonics list should be 'Performance & Cocktails'

Simon

Your Son is smiling...
Only full album i have is 'Language, Sex, Violence, Other' and its amazing. Much better than i expected. I would recommend getting that.
It's gonna be a blue day
Wow, I love the new album more every time I listen to it! Daisy Lane is such a brilliant song, and the meaning behind it is really delivered clearly
Simon

Your Son is smiling...
So how is the new album?

When was it released? I only heard about it today.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
LOL just because I told you about it

I think it's one of their best albums to date. I would say the strongest sonds are 'It Means Nothing' (the one they just realised http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guS0xEfCVDQ), 'Crush', 'Stone', and 'Daisy Lane'.

I think however LSV0 > Pull The Pin, but only because of Dakota and Superman!
Simon

Your Son is smiling...
ahemm

THE DOORMAN SOLO?!?!?!

thats INSANE!!!!
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
whats so average about it?
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Well, I suppose it's the best solo on the album, probably the fastest Phonics solo there is, but it's certainly not insane. Not really too keen on the song itself to be honest, it's just an angry rant.

The few bars at the start contain three notes, it's a fairly easy hammer-on and pull-off combination. Then a few choice bends, a bit of tremolo picking and some nice sequences. It's an alright little solo, but still far short of insane.

My fave Phonics solo would have to be Maybe Tomorrow I think, a very differnt angle on lead guitar, but it suits the song really well, but again, though it's great, it's not 'insane'.
Last edited by Abe at Jan 7, 2008,
Quote by hazzmatazz
Down with reviews, I think all their albums are great and no one will tell me otherwise, damn tabloids.

I got pull the pin...

the reviews i heard.. well they were pretty accurate. It isn't that great an album.
Quote by Abe
Well, I suppose it's the best solo on the album, probably the fastest Phonics solo there is, but it's certainly not insane. Not really too keen on the song itself to be honest, it's just an angry rant.

The few bars at the start contain three notes, it's a fairly easy hammer-on and pull-off combination. Then a few choice bends, a bit of tremolo picking and some nice sequences. It's an alright little solo, but still far short of insane.

My fave Phonics solo would have to be Maybe Tomorrow I think, a very differnt angle on lead guitar, but it suits the song really well, but again, though it's great, it's not 'insane'.

okay, well, you win, sig me, whatever.

the song itself is pretty good IMO, a big **** you!
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
^ Yeah. Love that song, especially the " 'Cause all I wanna do, Is get closer to you, 'Cause all I wanna do, Is make a mess out of you".
It's gonna be a blue day
My favourite off of LSVO is Devil, then Rewind. I think they're both class.
brother, love that song at the minute.
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Quote by Uber-rocker
I only have You Gotta Go There To Come Back and I reckon it's pretty good.. What should I get next? What's Pull the Pin like?

And when the bloody hell are they coming to Oz???

Word Gets Around or Performance and Cocktails.

I prefer WGA

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Page 1 of 2