Page 1 of 5
Iam almost 100% sure this has been done but i could not find it...so sorry in advance

so what you think of power metal?

like? why?
dislike? why?

Fav bands?

thanks
site?
I love music!
I hate how it turns us on each other!
I support music as a whole! not this useless hate!
Lame and cheesy for the most part.

Edguy isn't too bad, but aside from that, it really bugs me.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Everything in it is awesome besides Dragonforce.

Zonata, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Luca Turilli, Edguy, Falconer, etc.

They are all pretty awesome
Quote by LedZeppelin
Lame and cheesy for the most part.

Edguy isn't too bad, but aside from that, it really bugs me.

Same. I've tried to get into it, but i just can't. I only really enjoy it when the singer is top notch though.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean
Same. I've tried to get into it, but i just can't. I only really enjoy it when the singer is top notch though.

Being a nerd/ loving keyboards does help, honestly
it ain't power metal, but i love the first two anthrax albums with their power metal vocalist.

other than that i have a haaard time with power metal, their singers... bug... me...
Stratovarius/Hammerfall/Sonata Arctica/Helloween are awsome.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
i find you have to be in a light-hearted mood to enjoy it, not taking it too seriously.

i love gamma ray

i quite like dragonforce as well

oh noes i must be such a n00b to liek them...
^indeed

power metal is one of, if not my fav metal sub genre

Blind Guardian, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Freedom Call, Leverage, Angra, Lost Horizon, Royal Hunt, Stormwitch... etc etc etc

LOVE IT!
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by demiphoenix
it ain't power metal, but i love the first two anthrax albums with their power metal vocalist.

other than that i have a haaard time with power metal, their singers... bug... me...

Anthrax is thrash metal, n00blet. They never had a power metal singer.

High vocals does not constitute power metal.

I love power metal, but with all subgenres (exceptin' for Tech Death), I have to take it in bits. I can't listen to an entire power metal album usually in one sitting.

And a side note, does anyone else think that power metal bands usually have more filler or mediocre songs per album than other subgenres?
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
I really like some power metal, but I think some bands are a bit too poppish (for a lack of a better word)

Iced Earth (my favourite PM band), Blind Guardian, Demons And Wizards, Hammerfall, early Helloween and Conquest of Steel are some great power metal bands.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Jag Panzer is my favourite power metal band right now. Rhapsoy (Of Fire), Angra, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Dark Moor, Edguy, and Hammerfall are really great power metal bands.
personally I'm not very big on the italian power metal scene

and....
PEOPLE CHECK OUT LOST HORIZON!!!
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

^ Great band. I wish they kept their last singer. He was amazing.

Can anyone explain why people call CoB Power Metal with harsh vocals?

Wouldnt Power metal with harsh vocals classify as melodic death?

*punches random person in face*

Quote by Nelsean

Escucha esto y si no te gusta entonces nada que sea power metal te va a gustar, ah y no te molestes en escuchar Dragonforce eso es una basura que ni el diablo se molestaria en escuchar
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
I do kinda like dragonforce, but the singing makes me cringe.

Lol @ devil.

Quote by Nelsean
I do kinda like dragonforce, but the singing makes me cringe.

Lol @ devil.

Also, they use the same lyrics in some songs, like the choruses in 'Operation ground and pound and 'Through the fire and flames' both rely on a FARRRR AWAYYYY!!! part in the chorus. Plus, the only thing different in the songs is the solo's. Has anyone noticed that the drumming is pretty much the same through many songs?
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Blind Guardian and Rhapsody are my favourites. when its good, its very very good, when its shit, its very very shit. same as everything really
I will just say that I enjoy ANY other genre in metal more then Power Metal. You can draw your conclusions
Stratovarius/Hammerfall/Sonata Arctica/Helloween are awsome.

yay for hammerfall!

power metal is great! it makes me feel like of got giganticore moosles and long wavey blond hair
I actually like power metal because it makes me happy; the speedy solos and double pedal drumming, and the singers from sonata arctica and firewind ( can't remember their names) are really good in my opinion. I also like dragonforce too, but yeah they are way overrated and they can't play as good live as they do in the studio.

So Firewind
Sonata Arctica
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I hate how more than half of the people in here are basing their opinions of an entire genre off one really bad band.
Mostly gay, I love me some Iced Earth though (Matt Barlow's voice is mad evil)

Honestly though, thats all I can stand its just too damn cheesy
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
Yes iam Very new to Power metal...
I like Hammerfall ^_^
Sonata Arctica ^_^
...and looking up almost all others i find of hear about lol
site?
I love music!
I hate how it turns us on each other!
I support music as a whole! not this useless hate!
Im getting into Falconer and I like Sonata Arctica, Barlow-era Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Helloween, and older Dragonforce, but I cant understand what the big deal is about Edguy. Maybe its cause Ive only heard Rocket Ride, but I really cant get into them.
Member #2 of the "Eggnog > Humanity" club
^^Pm Scourge441 to join

PM MackDaddy or RhinosaurBones to join the Mortal Kombat Klub. That's right, Klub with a K.

Quote by happytimeharry
wow, is that backgammon? Now that's what I call fore play...
Blind Guardian, Demons and Wizards, Rhapsody of Fire, Nightwish, Manticora, Helloween, Sonata Arctica, Iced Earth, Cellador, Stratovarius, Symphony X.

*collapses into extacy at the collective awesomeness of the bands*
I like some of it. Primal Fear, Armored Saint, Firewind, some Hammerfall tunes are alright. Kamelot is kinda straddling the prog / power metal fence, but I like them. Wasn't that fond of Edguy really. But, I like a lot of different things. Power metal is for when I really want that fast, wide open / blazing guitar sound.
Quote by AcidBath443
Mostly gay, I love me some Iced Earth though (Matt Barlow's voice is mad evil)

Honestly though, thats all I can stand its just too damn cheesy

to bad he aint in the band anymore, but yeah for Tim Owens.

It LOVE power metal. THat said some bands can be FLAMING GAY. ITs kinda hit or miss.
A lot of it is really cheesy, and I don't like the style of vocals too much either.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Symphony X has very nice power elements, Angra is aight, Blind Guardian are very nice, Rhapsody is great but only when I'm in that mood, Dragonforce is great only after I'm in the mood and I haven't gotten enough of Blind Guardian and Rhapsody, and this is a highly rare occurrence. Persuader is interesting. Stratovarius is also definitely teh sex. It's nerd music, but I still love Timo Tolkki (sp?).

edit: Barlow-era Iced Earth if this counts as power metal. I saw it above, but I'm not so sure and I haven't listened to every Barlow-era album. Iced Earth=band I need to get into.
I've found Jesus
is it just me or is dragonforce extremely uncreative and copycats?
i rekon theyre boring as bat shit.. the only kool things are theyre solos.. i mean..listen to their latest album... every songs drum's are the same. along with the vox melodies etc...
srsly..they suck
I like power metal and I recently discovered new bands that I really like that can fit in the power metal genre : Thy Majestie, Wolf, Magic Kingdom, Almora, Adagio, Dragonland, Dragonlord, Dreamquest (by Luca Turilli), Sarissa, Sencirow, Twilight Guardians, Nostradameus, Supreme Majesty, The Storyteller, InnerWish, Labyrinth, Dream Evil, Forgotten Tales, etc.

and I also like the more knowned power metal band like : Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Angra, Edguy, Rhapsody, Demons and Wizards, Luca Turilli, Avantasia, Helloween, Sonata Artica, Stratovarius, Dragonforce, Freedom Call, Hammerfall, Kamelot, etc.

As you can see I'm a big power metal fan.
power metal destroys you like the glorious dragonriders of the east, watch as they gloriously ride off to battle...eternally.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Not really that big of a power metal fan, but I do love Hammerfall and Iced Earth, with Iced Earth being one of my favorite bands.
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
i like what i've heard
which is pretty much just dragonforce and hammerfall

it's annoying with the whole 'dragonforce is overrated' thing though. seriously, they put that much technicality into their songs, they're bound to **** up live. every bands ****s up live, so matter how technical their stuff is.

and with the 'all their songs sound the same' thing, you could say that about a lot of very well-respected bands in pretty much every genre.

anyway, enough of the whinging. what i like about power metal is the cheesiness. but what i don't like is when they get to cheesy, like that italian band someone posted in the rec thread. that was just awful. the instrumentation was alright, but the singer completely destroyed it.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Page 1 of 5