I'm pretty confident this is how i'm supposed to record from my amp onto my PC, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm using a Cube 30x and I'm going to connect from its "Recording Out" port to the "Line-In" port of my soundcard. Is this appropriate?
You need either a pretty good soundcard, or some kind of port that'll turn the signal from your guitar down. Lest you fancy frying your soundcard
Quote by gallagher2006
You need either a pretty good soundcard, or some kind of port that'll turn the signal from your guitar down. Lest you fancy frying your soundcard

Really? Didn't think a signal with a current suited for headphones would fry a soundcard...hmm, anyone else? ( as for now, i'm gonna take your word for it..)
I use my Microcube rec out to the line in of the PC and works great. And i don't think it will fry the soundcard, in fact, the signal of the guitar itself is weak for line in, so there's sometime when i wanna plug the guitar directly to the PC, i use the mic in.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
You'll be fine direct with that set-up. However, you may have more control with sound tweaking if you run into a small mixer first and then to your soundcard. Also, the higher quality the soundcard, the better sound results. But again, you will be fine with your set-up.
Yes, thats fine, but there are some issues with soundcard latency, complete pain in the arse and impossible if your tying to keep on time with a backing track.
Quote by beckyjc
Yes, thats fine, but there are some issues with soundcard latency, complete pain in the arse and impossible if your tying to keep on time with a backing track.

I've never had that problem with my software. I run my mixer into my soundcard into cool edit pro, and there's no lag or delay.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Depends on the quality of your sound card.
AS for me I have the standard crap that came with my dell. =(
I'm on a G5 Imac - NEVER a latency problem - always had issues on my PC's but the Mac is great for sound in apparently. I have 2 modern amps and use the line out or headphone out on the amps to my SOUND IN using a 1/4" -> 1/8" mini adapter. I also run my LP copy direct too using Guitar Rig 2 and Amplitube 2 in Logic.

Mac is so sweet. I was a PC diehard for years (we called em Macintrash, etc) but once I started using Macs my PC's began to collect dust.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by gallagher2006

If it's a recording out, it won't fry the soundcard.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.