Even though this question might been asked to death, I still need to know :P
So, I'm gonna get me a new guitar right after summer (I think) and have been looking at a great number of models and makes. Some of you might remember my Les Paul BFG thread, but that guitar is forgotten now and something better has taken it's place

The Gibson SG standard, is it a good guitar for the money? It costs 2000$ here in Sweden, and since I'm a teenager I would'nt want to spend all my money (and pretty much more than that) on a guitar that isn't well made. I've read a lot of reviews about the electronics of the guitar, and people think that it's great (harmonycentral.com) but no reviews of the actual guitar (link was broken). And you all have to agree on one point, it's HOT
If you suggest something else, I want it to look pretty much identical and not cost more than $2k.

Thanks in advance
/Kiwi
Gibson SG Faded (Gibson Angus Young Signature humbucker)
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo V3

Marshall Bluesbreaker BB2 pedal
Who doesn't want a SG Standard?

EDIT: Oh yes, and I love mine.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Sounds good
Yeah, how can anyone hate an SG? :P

Quote by Kiwilagoon
Sounds good
Yeah, how can anyone hate an SG? :P

Ah yes my friend.
But more to the point this time. The neck has quite some beef to it, not a downside at all (may be for some) but will feel very different from, say, a Ibanez taper neck, doesn't hinder speed, though. (I speak from experience ) As for the pickups, I'm not very pleased with the stock pickups, but they do for now...I'll be putting in EMGs (81/85) which will pretty much make it a beast.
One downside was no tremolo at all (this may not matter to you) but I feel the need to do crazy divebombs...and there just wasn't any bar there! I recently got a Kahler installed though, and it rocks.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Hmm, not sure if I'll suffer from the lack of a tremolo actually.
I've seen many aswell punk as pop-punk bands use the SG, and it sounds great. Maybe you play more rock/metal-ish music and want the EMG's for that, but won't they do fine for Punk, pop-punk and modern rock?

Quote by Kiwilagoon
Hmm, not sure if I'll suffer from the lack of a tremolo actually.
I've seen many aswell punk as pop-punk bands use the SG, and it sounds great. Maybe you play more rock/metal-ish music and want the EMG's for that, but won't they do fine for Punk, pop-punk and modern rock?

I would say so.

Yeah, I kind give the SG a different name, personally. Blues/Punk guitarists would use them but because of the sheer looks of it ( ) I needed one for my style too!
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Heh :P
What's this fuss about the Gibson QC then? Are they really that bad? :/

I have a standard. Bitchin axe with a really cool feel and sound to match. I enjoy playing it just as much as I do my Les Pauls. I like the SG for gigs becuase it's so light and easy to play standing up. Fans of Les Pauls might find the SG's sound a tad thin - but IMHO I think the thinner sound is hot as fizzzzuuuckkk. The guitar is beautiful and ballsy.
Quote by Kiwilagoon

Gibson QC??
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by Kiwilagoon

People like to talk about the poor job done at QC - but they're really not that bad. I've gotten a bullshit gibby once... i just took it back and picked out a new one.
Allright, that makes me more calm about that atleast. Even if there was a problem with it, the guitar center would probably help me fix it/ give me a new one.
If you got some more stuff to say, do so :P
Oh btw, I don't think the "thin" sound will bother me, as I play a guitar that's pretty much like it body-wise.

i did musicians friend - and they just replaced it.
well, im looking and playing the guitar right now... and i can't find a damn flaw in the way it plays. I usually play with cats a lot older then me (i'm 21 and they're like 40)...everyone thats ever played mine has changed their minds about sg's. I play streetpunk, blues, jazz, country, and shred... and it handles everything really nicely.
the nitro finish is badass... but i have noticed that it can get sticky easily. wash your hands every time before you play and wipe your neck with pump polish each time you play.
you'll love the standard.
Sounds teriffic
I'll get one when I've saved up the rest of the cash, which will probably be mid-fall (could be a chance that my family help me with like 750$ on my birthday this October).

Have you tried one out yet?
If not, make that first on your list.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I will, ofcourse

Ok heres just a thought and my opinion just buy an epiphone sg-g400 ($400.00 in america) and buy new pickups for it thats what I did. (I dont have 1500 dollars to spend) but i bought a Gibson 57' classic and the Angus young sig series becausee i love the tone ac/dc has. But to be honest if you buy a gibson your buying an epiphone with nicer pickups and a little bit nicer body but most off all your just paying for the name.
Quote by AC/DC ROCKS!!!
But to be honest if you buy a gibson your buying an epiphone with nicer pickups and a little bit nicer body but most off all your just paying for the name.

Prepare for massive flaming.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
It's only an Epiphone but mine is great IMO!
The weight of the neck doesn't take long to adjust to.
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Quote by Green_Jelly
Prepare for massive flaming.

lol what you think im wrong? ive played gibsons befor

i changed the pickups in my epiphone and minorly adjusted a couple other things and it sounds almost identicle to a gibson the only deifference is the feel of the guitar and the weight and if you your going to disagree with me there then you must be dumber then i thought lol
I think I'll try both of them out, and see which one feels better in my hands. If the Epiphone has a better feel, I'll see how much it'll cost to change the p-ups, and if the Gibson has better feel, then it's a win-win situation (except for the cash, doh!).

Come to the GBC forum, and post about it, if you get the Epiphone. I can rec' ya some good PAF-voiced humbuckers, and even walk ya through installing em yourself. That'll save ya some more bucks, as it's pretty easy.

Also, see if you shop has any Elitist Epiphones. Those, I could place against a Standard, with some work done to em. They're very nice.