Hi all. I have a mildly interesting question here:

Does anyone have any good examples of songs put together in the studio? I have a session coming up, in which the music will be largely improvises, and I want to listen to how some songs done in this fashion come accross.

I can only think of one, which is Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath.

I understand that this happened with some of the later barret era floyd as well.

Elucidation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Johnny Skulfück xXx
I don't get the question, do you mean songs where lead players came up with their part on the spot? If so, I believe songs like "Behind Blue Eyes" and 'I Can't Explain" by The Who had solos that were improvised (i think it was Jimmy Page that played on both of them), and I believe Janick Gers of Iron Maiden improvises all his solos in the studio. Some of their songs to check out with him are Fear of the Dark (First solo) and Paschendale (third solo).
If I misunderstood you, I'm sorry.
Jazz in general. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue specifically was almost completely spontaneous, Miles only gave his musicians sketches of melody and everything else was improvised.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Cheers guys.

By the question, I mean songs that are completely put together on the spur of the moment as opposed to written beforehand and rehearsed.
^ i don't recommend doing that unless you got a lot of money to spend on studio time or the musicians you are working with are beyond exceptional in the improv category. subsequently if you do insist on doing this, make sure everyone is mic'd individually so that if you get something going where you like everything but the lead guitar (or rhythm or bass or whatever) you can go back and change it.
what kind of music are you playing? some styles definetaly dont lend them selves to pure improv.
I like punk... and jethro tull, but I'll basically listen to anything as long as its not too repetitive and has some interesting parts. anything really, although I prefer older stuff.

and z4twenny, I do work experience at a studio and in lieu of payment, I get what's called a stipend, which is basically the same as money, but its such a little amount its called a stipend. Not really, it's a spinal tap moment.

I get free studio time, which is especially lucky since I don't have any money.

Mic'ing is secured, I'll be using 3 on the guitar amp, DI with the bass amp and 4+ on the drums.
try Voodoo Chile by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Notice the "e" and not a "d". It's the 10 minute long blues jam, not the wah-wah intro one.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Wasn't their a Def Leppard album that was written completely in the studio? I think Dream Theater did the same, but I'm not sure.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
look at Make Me Feel Good by Ray Charles, that was made up on the spot, he new what he wanted to play but the rest of the band had no idea and they went along, come in with some catchy riffs and throw a song together, they'll be impressed...
Quote by gogita21
Jazz in general. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue specifically was almost completely spontaneous, Miles only gave his musicians sketches of melody and everything else was improvised.

John Coltrane as well...as far as my understanding goes

Just to add another name in