Page 1 of 2
Right well I'm planning on getting the Oragne Tiny terror but don't want to pay loads for a cab and I fancy building my own.
I've read the sticky guide, since its a guitar cab it seems I won't be having to many problems in terms of dealing with the low Hz and what not.
However, I have no idea where to go in terms of speakers?
I was just browsing on eBay and there are so many I have no idea what to get.
Considering I want to keep this bellow £50 any suggestions for speakers for a 2x12?
I'm assuming I will want two 8 ohm speakers wired in parrallel or 2 4ohm in series?

Cheers!

EDIT: PICS ON PAGE 2

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Last edited by philjay at Mar 28, 2007,
Anyone?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Eminence makes good, cheap speakers.

What impedance are you looking for? Those options you mentioned don't give the same impedance.
Impendance? Oh right resistance.

Anything that will work with the Tiny Terror Orange Tube head considering I will be using 2 speakers.

So any speaker from Eminence will work?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Celestion blues, or greenbacks (i think)

It's a fairly low wattage amp, right? if that's the case, low wattage speakers will make it sound far more "alive".
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
its a 15W tube but its rated the english way so it can be c ompared to a 30W tube according to the site

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
thats if you are making a 2x12 cab you can fit the speakers perfectly and get great sound from watever box encasing you use(solid wood only!!!)
This is not too hard to do - in fact it's pretty fun and easy. Just don't put a screw driver through the speaker when you are attaching it, like I did.

First, make the box out of wood. I choose pine because I have access to a bunch of it, but I'm going to use plywood next time. The dimensions don't matter. People will tell you acoustics and all kinds of stuff - means nothing.

I purchased plastic pieces for all the ends. Next, you need the connectors for the input and speaker wire. Mount them, solder, and you're ready to go. You should match your impendence to the OHM rating.

I buy my speakers on EBay. There are many cheap ones and if in the future I don't like one, I'll buy another.

Have fun.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Zakk Wylde
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Stratocaster (1989) - First Guitar
Squier Stagemaster FR
Stellar LP Copy
Ibanez Artcore 78T
Homemade 7 watt + custom cab
Peavey Classic 30 with 112 Ext.
Roland Blues Cube BC30
Ok well apparently there are multiple impedance speakers outputs (1 X 16 ohm, 2 X 8 ohm).

Is it ok to make the box out of MDF?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Quote by philjay
Ok well apparently there are multiple impedance speakers outputs (1 X 16 ohm, 2 X 8 ohm).

Is it ok to make the box out of MDF?

MDF is too heavy and gives you cancer if you inhale the dust. 1/2" ply works best.
To theluckydog124 - acoustics can play a huge part in the bass response of the cab. At least try and bass the cabinet of a pre-existing model so you're in the ballpark with dimension.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Ok but I heard that plywood splinters like a bitch and is hard to work with.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Quote by philjay
Ok but I heard that plywood splinters like a bitch and is hard to work with.

MDF might be a little easier to work with, but it's a lot heavier, inhibits some frequencies, falls to pieces when it gets wet, isn't as durable to bumps and scratches, wears the shit out of your tools and can give you cancer.
I think I know which one I'd prefer. Head down to your local hardware store, a lot of places use half-inch ply for pallets and packing. I managed to pick up a full sheet for $25
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
birch ply^ woot!

ive got eminence speakers, and just ordered weber speakers.
i suggest u check them both out. see what u can afford.

just note: also, if ur lining out from an 8 ohm output from the amp (just using 8 as an example.)
then u'd need two 16 ohm speakers in ur cab to = 8ohm,
or one 8 ohm speaker to = 8 ohm.

so make sure u know what combination u want before u order.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Ok well I will need a 2x8ohm combo, I went on the speaker sites but other than the ohms and the cone diameter (12") I have no idea what to go for in terms of wattage?
This is a 15W all tube head btw.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Just make sure you're about the amp wattage, 1.5x is usually a safe margin. I don't think Celestion, Weber, or Eminence make speakers that are rated at less than 25 watts, so any speaker will do fine.

You might want to choose a quite low wattage, so you can get a little bit of speaker breakup, which won't happen with a 60 watt speaker.
Quote by philjay
Ok well I will need a 2x8ohm combo, I went on the speaker sites but other than the ohms and the cone diameter (12") I have no idea what to go for in terms of wattage?
This is a 15W all tube head btw.

a 2x8 ohm cab will be used if ur runnin out from a 4ohm output. (just letting u know.)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
a 2x8 ohm cab will be used if ur runnin out from a 4ohm output. (just letting u know.)

Really?

I always thought that resistance in series simply added up so I figured 2x8 would equate to 16ohms?

What's speaker break up?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Ah ok thanks. So GCSE electronics is ****ing paying off...

Regarding the jack input, where would I get one of those? eBay?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Last edited by philjay at Feb 28, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
They do. She musta thought you were wiring in parallel.
Speaker break up is distortion.

i did. yeah matters how u wire them too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Is it better to wire in parrallel rather than series or dose it only matter if you want 2 or 4 speakers?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Quote by philjay
Is it better to wire in parrallel rather than series or dose it only matter if you want 2 or 4 speakers?

It all depends on what ohmage your speakers and what your amp accepts. There isn't any real benefit doing one of the other, providing the ohmage is correct.
Ok thanks a lot people. I'll put pics up once I get down to doing the project which will be during the holidays (april).

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Right well I'm doing some research and was just wondering if this is all I needed in terms of inputs for my cab?
I assume I want a mono one like this: http://www.triodeelectronics.com/1-4swmonosh.html

What kind of cable will I need to connect the head and cab?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
So its like a 1/4 to a 1/4?

Im sorry Ive never had a proper amp, how am I m eant to know!

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Fair enough.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Right so I'm getting this thing done now but I have a few questions.

1. Bearing in mind I have 2 Vintage 30s on their way, will the holes in the baffle have to be 12" or smaller/bigger?

2. Is this what I need for the speaker input?

3. What kind of wires do I need to wire the speakers together and to the mono jack and which one goes to which terminal on the jack itself?

Thanks.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Check the celestion site. The baffle hole will be about 11.1" so just check to make sure.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Ah forgot about the tutorial.

Ok so for the wire: thick.
Cut-out: 11.1"

Anyone tell me whether or not the mono jack in my previous post is suitable?
And does it matter which way around I wire the jack to the speakers?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Last edited by philjay at Mar 26, 2007,
Anyone?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Ok people, progress so far:

Speakers arrive.

What to do.....what to do..............

Moral support thanks to my pet Coco:

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Gluing side panels to 2/2" with speakers as weights:

Gluing first side panel to bottom panel:

And the other one....

And now the top panel:

Semi finished products with the baffle just pushed in (veeeeeeery nice and flush apart from about 2mm open at top, will sort that leak with silicon.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Page 1 of 2