Poll: Do you think life ever existed on Mars?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think life ever existed on Mars?
Yes
60 56%
No
12 11%
Undecided
34 32%
Voters: 107.
Page 1 of 2
This is a topic that I was thinking about recently. After reading about 20 articles about life on mars, I am still undecided on whether life existed or not. What do you think?
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Probably. I was watching the discovery channel some time ago and they were talking about how the rock formations in some of the craters look like the bottom of our oceans and such. They also showed this one type of rock that we have here that is only where water is or something like that. I think if there was water at some point, and considering Mars was created before Earth, there probably was life there.

edit: ^They ACTUALLY find water??
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
yeah, actually now that i think about it, i do think life existed on Mars. Extremofiles could live under any condition, even deep underground, as long as there is water.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
They didn't find water they found evidence of water existing in the past.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
I think there might have been, but also, I don't see why people care. But I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.
Quote by flame843
The classic film Santa Claus Conquers the Martians sways me to believe there is life on mars.

Oh wow, finally someone else who has seen that film! I love you man.
Quote by metal4all
Probably. I was watching the discovery channel some time ago and they were talking about how the rock formations in some of the craters look like the bottom of our oceans and such. They also showed this one type of rock that we have here that is only where water is or something like that. I think if there was water at some point, and considering Mars was created before Earth, there probably was life there.

edit: ^They ACTUALLY find water??

i don't believe so, but i do think they have found ravines and vallies and such which they say "could have only been caused by water"..... i think its something to that extent in which they havent found the water, but they know it was there at one point

and on a side note, i believe they found liquid hyrdogen on the surface of jupiter (using light spectrums) which ATM is impossible to achieve on earth b/c it takes extreme cold to get it to happen
Could have been. But I haven't seen anything to make me believe so. Although I do believe it is/was quite possible, and that one day (as we feel we must, being human beings) we will end up at least going to Mars and finding out for certain
whoa, americanidiot, u live in state college? I live in Altoona. I am also a Muse fan. Saw them live last year in philly. it was awesome......

...that was off-topic.
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2006/12/flowing_water_o.html

"We've found it," said Michael Meyer, NASA's lead scientist on their Mars Exploration Program. "Water seems to have flowed on the surface of today's Mars."
2007 concerts: Smashing Pumpkins, Sage Francis, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Coup, The Roots, Blackalicious, Hieroglyphics, Wu-Tang Clan (w/ Shavo Odadjian), RATM, Tool (w/ members of Trans Am, Primus, Dead Kennedys), Queens of the Stone Age
you're being spastic...
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Water=\= life, it just this way here. Did you ever think that there could be living creatures that do not consume water, or oxigen? There are many sources of energy in the universe, lots of them could spark up a living creature.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
I thought that some how that the early prokaryotic cells came from water? So if there was water then there probably was life.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
If there is water does not mean that there was life and vice versa.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
No one's ever found any evidence to say either way so I'm undecided
I can always dream of a space rock from Mars crashing into the earth and escalating into an Evolution-type situation.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by Hells_Bell
Water=\= life, it just this way here. Did you ever think that there could be living creatures that do not consume water, or oxigen? There are many sources of energy in the universe, lots of them could spark up a living creature.

actually water does = life...at least in this universe. in other universes, water is probably not required for life (and probably does not exist). Yes, there are other universes. search "M theory" on wikipedia or google.
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by nexteyenate
actually water does = life...at least in this universe. in other universes, water is probably not required for life (and probably does not exist). Yes, there are other universes. search "M theory" on wikipedia or google.

M THEORY

It's a theory, i.e. not proven and also not complete.
i always believed that the sun used to be hotter, and when it was, mars was very much like earth, but then the sun got less powerful, and life on it died out.
oh, and i just thought of something. humans are retarded. we think that for existance of life, we need:

* water
* oxygen
* warmth (so the water is unfrozen)

in my theroy, this isnt necessary. just because on earth this is what we need for life, doesnt mean some other lifeforms cannot survive/live/develop. we can't generalize life around ourselves. the next thousand years will unveil a completely surreal world. i'm sure in that.
Archeabacteria can live in the most of extreme conditions. some specicies live in high sulfur/methane concentrations. Or even at hot vents in the ocean at 400 degrees Celcius. So why wouldnt they been able to live in colder conditions?
HAHA THANK YOU SO MUCH CHEESE PUFF!!!!!!!!!! i wil blow ur dinkzor, but it comes at a price

I say yes, even if it did only consist of very primitive prokaryotic organisms like bacteria. Also, this:
Last edited by Gibson291 at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by zwound
i always believed that the sun used to be hotter, and when it was, mars was very much like earth, but then the sun got less powerful, and life on it died out.

I don't think that our sun has actually had a decrease in solar energy, or become "less powerful," since the beginning of its existence.
i think that there is, but only like bacteria, not green men.

although according to one of my science teachers, there is reason to believe that their are a shit loads of massive sea creatures on Neptune under frozen seas
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by nexteyenate
Extremofiles

What is that? A type of paedophile?
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Yes i believe life once existed on Mars but because Mars is further away from the sun and also is much smaller then Earth it cooled down much quick and its core stopped rotating, removing its magnetic barrier from the suns rays it destroyed all evidence of life existing. So there is no way of really knowing. I don't believe life exists today on Mars, it is still possible for life to exist, there is no guidlines saying what needs to be present for life to exist, i just think it would be alot more obvious if there was life.
Quote by Burtonjp
Thats right.. I'm drooling over your body... *walks off and registers as a gay sex offender *

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Is water not an organic substance?

They have rather large amounts of evidence to back the fact cell organisms may be on Mars.
Quote by Alreddyded

If they meant extremoPHile, then it means "lover of 'extremes'", I couldn't think of a word for it, sorry. The -phile ending on words comes from greek for love, and so you get a lot of words like that. Paedophile (greek for child [you get paediatrician too] and love), extremophile, audiophile (you can guess...), philosophy (love of wisdom, literally).
Quote by Gibson291
I don't think that our sun has actually had a decrease in solar energy, or become "less powerful," since the beginning of its existence.

stars don't decrease in terms of energy. in fact, they gain.

Stars spend about 90% of their lifetime fusing hydrogen to produce helium in high-temperature and high-pressure reactions near the core. Such stars are said to be on the main sequence and are called dwarf stars. Starting at zero-age main sequence, the proportion of helium in a star's core will steadily increase. As a consequence, in order to maintain the required rate of nuclear fusion at the core, the star will slowly increase in temperature and luminosity. The Sun, for example, is estimated to have increased in luminosity by about 40% since it reached the main sequence 4.6 billion years ago.

Quote by zwound
oh, and i just thought of something. humans are retarded. we think that for existance of life, we need:

* water
* oxygen
* warmth (so the water is unfrozen)

in my theroy, this isnt necessary. just because on earth this is what we need for life, doesnt mean some other lifeforms cannot survive/live/develop. we can't generalize life around ourselves. the next thousand years will unveil a completely surreal world. i'm sure in that.

what are you basing this theory off of? what research have you done that magically contradicts all of earth's "retarded" scientists? secondly, you're thinking of organic life. the basic definition of life doesn't include a set of necessities, just a what most scientists believe life consists of.
Last edited by karlh07 at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by Alreddyded

it is a classification of microorganisms (sp?) that can live in extreme conditions
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by Gibson291
I say yes, even if it did only consist of very primitive prokaryotic organisms like bacteria. Also, this:

Oh, thank you, you've effectively made my day.

At least for now.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
maybe like it was almost liek an earth a really ****ing long time ago and something happend like a huge meter and global warming and shit and blah and some scientists knew so they left everyone and took like their wives and young girls and got into a rocket to space and went to earth and repopulated the earth and mars became a ****ed up place, and where it is today.
Quote by x/taluha
maybe like it was almost liek an earth a really ****ing long time ago and something happend like a huge meter and global warming and shit and blah and some scientists knew so they left everyone and took like their wives and young girls and got into a rocket to space and went to earth and repopulated the earth and mars became a ****ed up place, and where it is today.

+1

I like this idea.....

*ponders*
Page 1 of 2