Page 1 of 22
Welcome to the MS Paint Competition!

This is the competition thread, the sign-ups were here and have finished.

How the competition works:

All those who entered in the sign up thread have been placed in to groups. The first group will be given a theme on which to base their pictures, and each contestant in that group will create a picture using MS Paint and submit it to this thread. Once the deadline passes the judges choose their favourite, then we repeat this process for the next group. The winner(s) go through to the next round and this continues until we have a MS Paint champion. More details follow, but it’s a pretty simple idea.

Structure of the competition:

1st round: 6 groups each containing 10 contestants, 3 contestants from each group go through to the next round.

2nd round: the 18 contestants will be divided in to 3 groups of 6, the top 2 in each group go through.

3rd round (semi finals): The 6 contestants will be split up in to 2 groups of 3, the winner of each group will go to the final.

4th round (final): the 2 winners of the 3rd round face each other to decide the MS paint champion.

Calendar:

All times are GMT:

[b][/b][/u]

Wed 28th Feb 8PM: Group 1 start painting
Fri 2nd Mar 8PM: Group 1 deadline, Group 1 judging begins
Sat 3rd Mar 8PM: Group 2 start painting
Sun 4th Mar 8PM: Group 1 judging finishes and winners announced
Mon 5th Mar 8PM: Group 2 deadline, Group 2 judging begins
Tue 6th Mar 8PM: Group 3 start painting
Wed 7th Mar 8PM: Group 2 judging finishes and winners announced
Thu 8th Mar 8PM: Group 3 deadline, Group 3 judging begins
Fri 9th Mar 8PM: Group 4 start painting
Sat 10th Mar 8PM: Group 3 Judging finishes and winners announced
Sun 11th Mar 8PM: Group 4 deadline, Group 4 judging begins
Mon 12th Mar 8PM: Group 5 start painting
Tue 13th Mar 8PM: Group 4 judging finishes and winners announced
Wed 14th Mar 8PM: Group 5 deadline, Group 5 judging begins
Thu 15th Mar 8PM: Group 6 start painting
Fri 16th Mar 8PM: Group 5 judging finishes and winners announced
Sat 17th Mar 8PM: Group 6 deadline, Group 6 judging begins
Mon 19th Mar 8PM: Group 6 judging finishes and winners announced

[b]These dates TBC:[/b]

[b][u]Round 2[/b][/u]

Wed 21st Mar 8PM: Group 1 start painting
Fri 23rd Mar 8PM: Group 1 deadline, judging begins
Sat 24th Mar 8PM: Group 2 start painting
Sun 25th Mar 8PM: Group 1 judging finishes and winners announced
Mon 26th Mar 8PM: Group 2 deadline, judging begins
Tue 27th Mar 8PM: Group 3 start painting
Wed 28th Mar 8PM: Group 2 judging finishes and winners announced
Thu 29th Mar 8PM: Group 3 deadline, judging begins
Sat 31st Mar 8PM: Group 3 Judging finishes and winners announced

[b][u]Round 3[/b][/u]

Sun 1st Apr 8PM: Group 1 start painting
Wed 4th Apr 8PM: Group 1 deadline, judging begins, Group 2 start painting
Fri 6th Apr 8PM: Group 1 judging finishes
Sat 7th Apr 8PM: Group 2 deadline, judging begins
Mon 9th Apr 8PM: Group 2 judging finishes

[b][u]Final[/b][/u]

Tue 10th Apr 8PM: Finalists start painting
Fri 13th Apr 8PM: Deadline, judging begins
Sun 15th Apr 8PM: Judging finishes, champion announced

Last edited by Burpin'Worm at Apr 1, 2007,
When are we given the themes? Or have we already? (I'm not reading all that!)
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Quote by Alreddyded
When are we given the themes? Or have we already? (I'm not reading all that!)

That's why there's bold red titles - so you don't need to

To answer your question, Group 1 will get their's tomorrow. (The theme will be posted in this thread and PMed to them along with the other info they need). You, being Group 4, won't get yours until it is Group 4's turn to start painting.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
That's why there's bold red titles - so you don't need to

To answer your question, Group 1 will get their's tomorrow. (The theme will be posted in this thread and PMed to them along with the other info they need). You, being Group 4, won't get yours until it is Group 4's turn to start painting.

Thanks So I get it in after group 1, 2 and 3 finish theirs. I think I got it
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

Ok great, thx for doing this, and doing it so well I might add
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Confirmation: Im not entering sorry. I just dont have the time, when i thought it would
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
Very nice job your doing
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
^I'm sure you'll do fine.

Quote by Demonbreed
Confirmation: Im not entering sorry. I just dont have the time, when i thought it would

OK, thanks for telling us. If you find you do have the time just let me know.

And thanks for the support guys.
Last edited by Burpin'Worm at Feb 27, 2007,
so um, why did the groups change, me and puppetmaster were in a group
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
In the sign up thread there were people saying they'd been missed off or put down as the wrong thing, so rather than spend ages trying to figure out who'd been missed and who hadn't I went through the thread myself and made a list of the contestants and judges (from first to post to last) and made the groups from that. The only two exceptions to that I think are ac/dc_freak91 who I put in in place of myself and umop-3p!sdn who's replaced Demonbreed.
i like how well organized it is
looks great. nice job!
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
Nice organising skills

Daniel (Mayday) is still banned (I think) but it's easy to reach him over MSN or the chat, so shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm still up for judging, though I'll need the reminders, I've a memory like a sieve.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Yeah I left banned people in since they may still be able to get their votes/pictures in.

I'll put a star next to your name to remind me to remind you... ( my head's starting to hurt )
PM me when i need to judge , because i am a judge

and what happened to chocolateguitar??
Quote by Ross724
whats harder than nailing a dead baby to a tree

nailing a live baby to a dog
^OK.

He's banned. I don't know what for or how long for, haven't been able to get in touch with him. See the sign-up thread for how I've ended up doing this.
Cheers for doing this, it's looking set to be a great competition...

Is there any indication as to when we'll be starting? Because if it's soon, its looking set that I'll be starting over the weekend; but I'll be back home from friday to sunday (I'm living at uni currently) and won't be able to work on anything or submit. I'm not expecting to be re-shuffled to another group, because it's my own fault that I won't be able to submit. I'd just rather get the chance to enter in one round rather than not at all.

Anyways, some suggestions:

In the event of a tie, perhaps all the judges could vote again between the two pictures to decide who goes through. This is just a suggestion, as it could just make the process lengthier, and putting them both through is fine in my book anyway

In previous competitions, it seems like allegations of cheating have often crippled people's chances of going through. I think that if someone feels a contestant has used a program other than MSPaint, they should PM you instead of posting in the thread, because a lot of the time people havn't cheated at all, yet judges vote against them because they have been acused of cheating. But then, I guess that's for the judges to decide themselves

Also, I'd like to clarify the use of pictures/photos in entries; are paintovers allowed?
^ last year if someone posted what looked like the original to a piantover it didnt recieve many votes from the judges anyways. so it kind of works out.

but ya, good job for burpin worm for taking the comp this year. must end up being a lot of work, probly a reason green fox isnt doing it again this year

EDIT:

Quote by Mathamology

In previous competitions, it seems like allegations of cheating have often crippled people's chances of going through. I think that if someone feels a contestant has used a program other than MSPaint, they should PM you instead of posting in the thread, because a lot of the time people havn't cheated at all, yet judges vote against them because they have been acused of cheating. But then, I guess that's for the judges to decide themselves

ok so i may have called BS on your war painting last year, but that was first round and honestly did not think that could be done on ms paint
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
Last edited by bryan j at Feb 27, 2007,
Im not going to have the time to draw for group one. I was one of the first to sign up, so may I be switched with someone who signed up late in the competition? I think it'd be fair, or else I'd have to drop out.
Quote by bryan j
ok so i may have called BS on your war painting last year, but that was first round and honestly did not think that could be done on ms paint

Fair enough, but your allegations nearly lost me the very first round!

I won't be available to paint the following days:

Friday 2nd
Saturday 3rd
Sunday 4th
Monday 5th
Possible Tuesday 6th

So if I can't be put into another group, then I will have to drop out and let someone else take my place.
Quote by Mathamology
Anyways, some suggestions:

In the event of a tie, perhaps all the judges could vote again between the two pictures to decide who goes through. This is just a suggestion, as it could just make the process lengthier, and putting them both through is fine in my book anyway

Yeah. I'm thinking that, if say in the first round there's a tie for 3rd between two people I'll let them both through, but in the later rounds, or if there's a tie between more than two people I'll ask the judges to vote again.

Quote by Mathamology

I remember last year

Anyway, that is a good point. I think it'd be best that if as you suggested anyone suspects anyone of cheating in any way, they PM me first before posting their suspicions as, like you say, it could sway the judges. If I'm unsure as well, or if for whatever reason I don't respond (I'll try to check up on this thread a lot but I can't be here all the time) then it can be posted in this thread for everyone to check.

Quote by Mathamology
Also, I'd like to clarify the use of pictures/photos in entries; are paintovers allowed?

Another good point. I'm going to say no, pictures can be used as reference obviously but not to paint over.

I'll amend my first post based on these suggestions, then I'll have a look at Math and skepto's timing problems.
I agree that paint overs shouldn't be allowed.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
^Yeah, I've added that to the first post. (New additions are in a rather pretty blue btw.)

Right, as for skepto and Math, what I'm going to do is make a calender for when each group will start/finish etc. so everyone should be able to see what dates they'll need to paint and they can contact me if there's a problem. When I have that done (shouldn't take long), I'll see about moving you (having both of you out without even submitting would be ridiculous, so we'll find something that works).

Note to everyone: I don't really want to be moving too many people about as it may get confusing, but if there's no way you can paint on the dates you're given, post.

Edit:

I've revised the whole first post and added a calendar. I'll start dealing with date/time problems now.

Edit2:

Mathamology, I've had a look and your current group (Group 2) which runs over Sat 3rd to Mon 5th ( perfect eh?) I'll move you to Group 3, which will mean you'll have Tue 6th (after 8PM GMT), Wed 7th and Thu 8th (up until 8PM GMT). Let me know if that still won't work.

Edit3:

skeptopotamus, I'll move you to Group 6 (with the latest entrants). I'm not going to move anyone from Group 6 to Group 1 since I think two of the people in Group 6 are banned anyway.
Last edited by Burpin'Worm at Feb 28, 2007,
yes! mathamology isnt in my group anymore! Woo! i might get past the first round with a bit of luck. i know Nick Dixon is now probably the clear favourite to go through the group, as i was unfortunate enough to have to paint against him on the topic of bridges last year (i hate bridges) and he deservedly trounced me! but, im not going to put all my eggs on my high horse yet, as theyd probably fall off and break. Its still probably one of the toughest groups there.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
Edit2:

Mathamology, I've had a look and your current group (Group 2) which runs over Sat 3rd to Mon 5th ( perfect eh?) I'll move you to Group 3, which will mean you'll have Tue 6th (after 8PM GMT), Wed 7th and Thu 8th (up until 8PM GMT). Let me know if that still won't work.

Nice.

Well, as an alternative I was going to suggest you PM me the Group 2's theme and I work on that during the same time period as Group 1 work on theirs, and when deadline time for Group 1 comes, I PM my picture to you.

But seeing as though you moved me, that won't be necessary.

Thanks

EDIT:

Quote by twowheels
yes! mathamology isnt in my group anymore! Woo! i might get past the first round with a bit of luck.

Damn it! I hate not having underdog status in competitions

Quote by Martyr's Prayer
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm excited!! WOOOHOOOO. I hope my category is awesome.

Wouldn't awesome be a bit hard to draw?
Quote by DUP3R

I'm glad we can finally begin. I've only ever drawn stickmen and disproportionately sized penises in MS Paint, so it'll be interesting to see how well (or not) I do.

Thanks for organising it. *Blows a kiss...using a fart*
Are there any contests archived, so I can have a look at the standard of "painting"?

I tried searching, but didnt get any results.

And Im going to have to brush up on my painting skills. Twill be hard using a finger thing on a laptop... :S
Quote by Aléx
Ah great, i'll start at 10, when I get back from Rovers.

I hope that's the name of a pub and not an elderly sex partner.
That's actually the name of the football team, Blackburn Rovers. Luckily.
-

Quote by Robbie n strat
I hope that's the name of a pub and not an elderly sex partner.

loligator
We're only strays.
Good job with the organisation. Thanks for looking through the thread for judges because i wasn't on the threadstarter's list. I should be able to judge all of them punctually.