so there is a show coming on tv (australia) on sunday about how the earth is dying.

With shows like that, a sudden race to fine a replacement for fossil fuels, and everything else being done, is it too late?

I think they should have done this 30 years ago, but what is your opinion? Is the planet really in trouble?
No, the earth is not dieing. A few unfortunate things happen, people explode the situation in order to strike fear into people, and now look what they're doing now, making shows and making quick cash off it.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
zomg nooo lifestream is being used by the mako reactors!
we need to stop president shinra!

ok sephiroth killed him. we need to stop sephiroth from making a meteor blow up earth!

dundundun.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
The earth will not die but life will suffer. its just getting hotter, that means certain species will die and eventually some new ones will thrive.
[/spam]

Freeze...WTF?
Member #1 of the I Poker club. PM Highvoltage45 to join.
Quote by moody07747
yesssssss...............the earth is dieing.........

so what

global warming...(I love warm weather)

global warming is giving us more snow
News guy wept and told us...earth was really dying...cried so much, his face was wet...then I knew he was not lying...
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Everyone says "save the Earth, save the Earth" when the reality of the situation is "save us save us"! The Earth will be fine, absolutely. She has survived comets and ice ages and global warming many times in her past and she is a living, breathing superoganism that will heal herself and be once again be hospitible for life. The real problem to be worried about is our future, we couldn't survive a drastic global climate change or the worldwide destruction of a full scale nuclear war. Our immediate future looks pretty bleak if the global shifts in climate continue to change dramatically, but once we're gone or our industrial ability is wiped out, Earth will heal itself and go about her merry way, with us or without us. The problem I think is people believe this planet is here for us when in reality it's the womb of our entire existence. So **** the Earth. Save us.
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Quote by salemboicot
yes, but temperatures are rising, ice caps melting, etc, shouldn't something be done?

I personally don't believe in global warming. But if it does exist, we can't stop it.

China is emerging into an energy consuming powerhouse and there's absolutely nothing getting in it's way. We can do whatever but it won't help a damn, and the U.S. tries but fails miserably.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
I hope it dies in a really cool way then. Not just like..stopping. Maybe like exploding and having the pieces hit every other planet. Now that would be awesome.
I think that not only Earth, but the Universe in general would be a better place if humanity was wiped from existence, but thats just me.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by The Leader
I think that not only Earth, but the Universe in general would be a better place if humanity was wiped from existence, but thats just me.

like uh "to solve the problem of humanity, one must remove humanity from the equation"? (something like that)

arn't you cool "yeahhh let's all dieee because we are a problemmmm to the universe ahhh"
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
the earth isnt dying.
the atmosphere naturally changes with time. millions of years ago it was almost completely carbon dioxide. However, we humans are speeding up the changing process, and changing it from the climate we evolved to be best suited for.
The Earth isn't dying, the earth will be here as long as the sun is, it's the people on earth who are screwed. Global warming is only going to hurt us.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
Quote by The Leader

Not if there's no other intelligent life in the universe. We have a lot of potential, we're just really kind of ****ing it up. This seems like humanity's teenage years, where we can go on to do great things, end up broke and homeless, or just wipe ourselves out driving too fast on the highway and be dead at 17. But as far as the universe goes, conciousness is a really special experiment. Here we are, in the universe, but not only IN it, we ARE it; we are made of the universe and are a part of it's body like everything else is. So it's like by making us the universe grew eyes to see itself, and dream of strange yet beautiful and abstract concepts like love, and hope, pain, suffering, redemption and everything else about us that we can define as "human". After the billions of years of evolution that brought us here, it would be a damn shame to destroy the universe's greatest experiment. I guess it would just mean the experiment failed. And if there is more intelligent life than us out there, maybe much more intelligent then us, then **** it we can die, big deal. We were still here. Can't ever take that away from us.
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
The Earth is not a living thing. It is a planet. Only living things can die. So the Earth is not dying.

The living things on it, all of them, could hypothetically die, but this is extraordinarily unlikely. There's little bacteria living under South Africa on uranium. You could say all the mammals could die, and though this is far more likely, it's not entirely probable, given that mammals are hypothesized to have been among the few things to have survived the same rock that killed the dinosaurs.

But do you mean PEOPLE? People are probably basically f*cked. But we might get lucky.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
I just love how producers like to scare people through the magic of television.

No the Earth is not dieing. The effects of pollution today are negligible compared to the cataclysms which occured in our planet's history by natural causes. Pollutants won't kill us, nature will. So stop worrying so much about driving your car.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by salemboicot
yes, but temperatures are rising, ice caps melting, etc, shouldn't something be done?

*sigh*
the temperature fluctuates hugely over millions of years
we are technically in an ice age right now, as there are actually ice caps
this is mostly not the fault of humans - a little fact:

186 million tonnes of carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere each year. it is said that higher levels of carbon dioxide from human activity, a greenhouse gas, is causing accelerated global warming.

how much of the 186 million tonnes is from human activity?

6 million

that's 3.2%

omfg we're destroying the planet
running out of fossil fuels and global warming and all of that is bunch of bullshit. Go read State of Fear by Michael Crichton, good book. hah there is actually evidence that the earth is getting colder. Plus how long has the earth been here and how long have they been collecting data? 100years maybe? that's nowhere near enough data to make a decision on whether the earth is heating up or cooling down. They are just using global warming as a political excuse to exercise more power and control over the people. ****ing al gore go to hell
Quote by The Postman
Usually emos, have like twiggy legs you can snap in your hands...
Has anyone ever seen an obese emo?

Quote by cool#9
Whose fault is it you are a skinny worthless wimp, be a fat emo, problem solved.
Quote by Raijin.xiii
like uh "to solve the problem of humanity, one must remove humanity from the equation"? (something like that)

arn't you cool "yeahhh let's all dieee because we are a problemmmm to the universe ahhh"

I don't recall typing multiple individual letters in the same word, but whatev; And my beliefs do not stem from trying to be 'cool' (Yay, people like me on the internet! Woo-hoo!)

I firmly believe that we must change our living habits, or we will be destroyed because of them. Consumerism and pro-creation alone are enough to kill us; How will be able to feed 20 billion people in a few years with the stock that Earth produces? Either we thin the herd, or we spread out; (i.e.) different planets, which will only repeat the process, because we will continue to spread and consume, spread and consume, etc. etc, in a manner that can only be described as "Virulent". Mark my words, at the rate we are going, if we're not all dead by then, we will be the universe's first interplanetary virus.

Now, these are simply my beliefs and estimations, no point in you being a dick about them.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
The earth is fine. Its humans that are gonna die. The earth has been hit by meteors and has been evolving for millions of years. In the timeline of earth history humans have been here only a fraction of the time. Trust me when i say we arent as deadly as we think we are.

The caps will melt, nuclear bombs will explode, tidal waves and earthquakes, volcanoes,

As far as the earth is concerned i tihnk its safe to say the earth is gonna be alright.

As for humans........

Peace niggaz
On the Subject of Hitlers resemblance to Emos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphin
No. Emos can't grow facial hair, not to mention their inability to invade Poland
Quote by salemboicot

before too long we'll have an ice age and that will be that. good luck surviving, i've got all the canned food i need
Quote by esther_mouse
...bingo. signaturisation. like burnination, only even more flamey.

Worth listening to
Yeah, the earth will die because we are getting rid of all the explosive stuff we can find in it

I did a little report thing and the temperature rise overall in the last ~130 years where I live (43N) is about 1.5 something ºF. Idk about you guys but to me it doesn't seem like much. I could care less what happens 1,000 years from now. Who knows, maybe it is just a phase like the ice age except the opposite.

BTW, pollution is bad for your health and stuff but we shouldn't concern ourselves with the climate change because of polution.
Earth itself is a planet. A solid sphere of molten rock basically, it can't die. Life on the planet can die, but Earth itself cannot. The closest thing to the Earth dieing will be when the sun dies, which is estimated to be around 5 billion years from now. When the sun dies it will grow into a red giant which will swallow the earth and everything on it. Before then however, temperatures will increase into thousands of degrees farenheit on Earths surface.

Theres way more to it, that's just what I've read and remember from some science book.
Quote by The Leader

you see...what we do on our tiny little speck of dust doesn't affect the universe AT ALL. the universe is so immensely huge that even if traveling at the speed of light was accomplished (which of course it isn't) and it was possible to reach the edge of the universe (which of course it isn't, due to how space curves) it would take longer than the human race has been alive, possibly longer than the world has been around, to reach the edge of the universe. Do you actually think that whatever the hell goes on on this tiny little insignificant pathhetic earth affects anywhere else in this massive universe?

now on the note of the earth dieing...the earth is not dieing. The earth goes through cycles of global warming and global cooling (ever heard of the ice age?) The earth isn't going to keel over because of increased carbon dioxide levels and melting polar ice caps. the earth is just going to CHANGE. It is acutally impossible for the earth to die because of global warming. how do expect the earth to die anyway? just to stop spinning? to stop revolving around the sun? These things aren't going to happen because of a little thing called gravity. If life surivived the ice age, the meteors, the droughts, the floods, the storms, the volcanoes, and such things, then it is going to survive this too. because it is happening so gradually that organisms will adapt to deal with it.

The earth is not going to die, so the worry should not be about the earth, it should be about the Human Race, because while we rely on technology to do the adapting for us, we aren't letting our bodies adapt naturally, so when the time comes and we use up all the resources, we'll be *****d. We could die in the next second; supernovae (huge explosions due to the death's of stars) are occuring all the time, one day, one is going to happen near us, and we'll all be BBQued to a crisp. and the best part about it is, we'll never know that it happened because we'll see the supernova at the same time it's destruction reaches us (because it takes light a while to reach us), so by the time the phenomenon is visible on earth it already would have destroyed all life on the planet. The explosion might destroy earth, it might not, but it wouldn't have been us who did it, it would have been the nature of the universe.

DEAL WITH IT!