Dot inlays
25 26%
custom inlays
69 72%
wtf are you talking about?
2 2%
Voters: 96.
Page 1 of 2
So what inlays do you prefer? I love more the classic dot ones. Easier to recognize in which fret you are in that moment than with weird crosses or arcs or stuff like that.
But mainly it's like that for me because my guitar has dots inlays and I'm used to them.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I like customs, because they are more original, but only (like you said) if you can recognize which fret they are. Of course, on top of the neck (the part that's up when you're playing), there's usually dots anyway.
METALLICA.
Quote by Prologue
I like customs, because they are more original, but only (like you said) if you can recognize which fret they are. Of course, on top of the neck (the part that's up when you're playing), there's usually dots anyway.

Yeh. I tried to play glasgow kiss in an Ibanez RG2570 and I just got lost through the fretboard. It was way easier to play there than in my crappy squier. But when I got to the higher frets I got lost and looked like a n00b
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I don't see how you can't recognise other inlays...I love the SGs trapezoid ones, much sexier than simple dots in my opinion.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Sharktooth, Reverse Sharktooth, Trapezoid, Piranha (Jackson Custom Shop), anything else similar to that or in red (except dots, with the exception of the red dots on the SheDevil).
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
Piranha, Shartooth or not at all.
Or this:

That is dope
My Gear:
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Marshall MG series 250 DFX
Quote by Prologue

I'd have to second that. My Schecter C1 Classic has the vine of life inlay on it, and I have no problem playing it. It did seem a little intimidating when I first got it, but I got used to it right away.
I like dots on simple guitars and blocks on anything that looks "classy" I suppose.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I think dot's can look the smartest depending on the guitar. The new shark fin types on the 2007 RG's like the 2570E are nice. Oh and of course the Steve Vai Jem, for example.

Inlays that don't help your way around the fretboard I do not like, however.
It depends. If its a strat, then dots, a LP, then blocks.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
It depends. If its a strat, then dots, a LP, then blocks.

Word up.
I'm more of a dot guy. Mostly because I prefer some difference between the 12th fret and other frets. I also like guitars with no inlays, like parkers.
Bleh, no inlays CAN look smart and all but I'd find it off putting, at least for a while.
No inlays, but that's a personal prefrence. If I had to choose, PRS Birds are sexy as hell, especially the 20th Ann.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
i like non-traditional dots. like the Red Special has.

but trapezoids and sharkfins are better.

blocks = ugly
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
no inlays

or very unobtrusive dots, top of the fretboard.

although PRS birdies are pretty sexy
How about an option for "no inlays"?
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
Well it depends, on an SG i like the trapezoids, on LPs i like the blocks, on Strats i like normal dots, on Superstrats i like the sharktooth rigs and whatnot..but i like the outline of a sharktooth like on the new Ibanezs...dots get boring and ugly for me on any other guitar though
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

I really like sharkfin inlays. I think the best look is fretless without inlays though.
I love my schecter C1 classic's vine of life inlays. Never gave me problems and looks cool as hell
WTLTL 2011
W/e inlays work for me, I dont really go for looks anymore. It's just a matter of time before you get used to w/e inlay your using.
I like Trapezoids, like on my SG, but dots are alright if I HAD to have inlays. I'd rather trapezoid, triangle, or n/a.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
No inlays on an ebony board, OR that S Prestige inlay at the 12th fret and nothing else. The three little dots.

EDIT: This...

It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
i personally like thunderbolts, but since thats pretty much required to be custom made then id go for trapazoids
NOPE
I love the trapezoids on my LP Studio. They look great on LPs, SGs, and the like. Dots on ES335s and similar, as well as Strats/Teles/Fenders in general.

Though I'm not a big fan of Fender body shapes. Though Tele > Strat.
Can't stop the signal.
Page 1 of 2