View poll results: Favorite Metallica Bassist
Cliff Burton
59 78%
Jason Newsted
6 8%
Robert Trujillo
11 14%
Voters: 76.
Okay people, who was your favorite Metallica bassist and why? Make sure they're legit reasons, too, because "CliFf cuz hE wuz teh pWnz0rz!!!1!11!" will not be helping me much. Cliff was great and all, but I'm just looking for opinions here.

Personally, my vote goes to Jason Newsted because of not only his bass playing, but his backing vocals were great (pure evil sounding for the time) and he was just an overall badass metal maniac. I'm interested in seeing if Cliff won't win by a landslide.
(P.S: Mods and other respected bass forum members, if you feel this belongs in the metal forum instead, just say the word and the thread will disappear. I just thought I would like to get the opinion of other metal bassists, or just bassists in general). Thanks.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I love trujillio. Such a legend. His tone and his playing style, just mezmorises me.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
It's been done...but I'll answer anyway..

My vote also goes to Newstead, his tone was amazing imo. He had the attitude, he fit in with Metallica really well. I'm not saying he was a better musician then Cliff though. Maybe if Cliff was around for longer...well still around..he'd def. get my vote then.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I think the thread should stay here - it's a bass specific topic. I voted for Cliff. Jason's bass playing with Metallica never stood out and Robert made such a fool out of himself in that live video of The New Song...I don't see either of them as top level bassists in the same way that Cliff was. I really like the fact that he got all those sounds from different ways of attacking the strings with his fingers.
METALLICA ONLY THREAD

But anyways, my vote goes to Cliff or Rob. Cliff, because the speed with his fingers was incredible and he co-wrote awesome songs.

Rob also has brilliant stage presence, and from the videos I've seen is cool, down to earth and funny. He just seems so cool! I wanna see what sort of stuff he writes for the album. It should be interesting...
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
This is ridiculous! Cliff was the only bassist in Metallica while they were still metal and not hard rock. Cliff co-wrote loads of the songs that made Metallica famous, and thrash metal famous. Cliff was a pioneer for the role of bass in thrash metal.

Need I rant on?
wheres ron mcgovney ?
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Cliff Burton. He was one of the most musically knowledgeable as far as theory goes in the band and helped write during what i feel is there best and most consistent period. Plus, Anesthesia is a bass anthem.
Cliff. I can't believe this is even a question
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Quote by AngelOfSorrow
Cliff. I can't believe this is even a question

Well ****ing said!
Quote by Chimpy101
Well ****ing said!

Thanks.

Cliff was the most revolutionary and best bassist there ever was and will be. Better than Les Claypool, Flea, Dave Ellefson, Newsted, you name it. He IS the bass god
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Quote by AngelOfSorrow
Thanks.

Cliff was the most revolutionary and best bassist there ever was and will be. Better than Les Claypool, Flea, Dave Ellefson, Newsted, you name it. He IS the bass god

Wow! You sound just like me! Great minds think alike, obviously
Quote by flyingmarlin
wheres ron mcgovney ?

I didn't add him because as far as I know, I haven't ever heard a recording of him with Metallica. But I would be surprised if he got a single vote anyway. It was really hard for me to choose who to vote for also. Cliff is self explainatory (he was a metal ANIMAL for all of you who don't know), Newsted for his attitude and backing vocals, and Rob because he's a well rounded bassist who can finger pick like it's nobody's business. I don't think Cliff could ever be replaced, though. The only thing I didn't like about him were his backing vocals, which I think Jason was about perfect for. I don't know, that's my two cents.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by Your41Plague12
The only thing I didn't like about him were his backing vocals

You can download loads of live MP3s with Cliff doing backing on, and it is rather beasty. He is pretty much shouting most of them; but to me, that's ****ing awesome
Cliff and Jason are my two favorites. Trujillo is an ape with a bass around his kneck.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Cliff, easily. He basically taught Metallica everything they know now, and he helped write many of Metallica's songs. I doubt Jason (whose best work can outside of Metallica) did that much for the band, and I don't think Rob will.
Quote by smb
I think the thread should stay here - it's a bass specific topic. I voted for Cliff. Jason's bass playing with Metallica never stood out and Robert made such a fool out of himself in that live video of The New Song...I don't see either of them as top level bassists in the same way that Cliff was. I really like the fact that he got all those sounds from different ways of attacking the strings with his fingers.

likewise.

Listening to some of Cliff's stuff left me with my jaw on the ground. Trujillo and Newstead's abilities never made me blink to be honest.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Master of Puppets and Justice for All, in my mind, are the greatest Metallica albums, and since you can't hear Jason on AJFA, then Cliff gets my vote.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
I'm going to be honest, I have a soft spot in my heart for Trujillo. I'm not flaming, but I don't quite 'get' Cliff Burton. So many people absolutely deify him... you can't comment on someone playing metal bass on YouTube without saying Cliff is better before you start. There's nothing I've heard of him that floored me (like Pulling Teeth or Orion). I'm not saying that the material doesn't exist, I'm just saying I've never heard it (if someone could point me in the right direction, please do).

I saw 'tallica from the very front of the mosh pit back in Toronto in 2004. Rob did a solo and played so fast with his fingers I was amazed. His stage stance is downright intimidating, and he interacted with the crown like mad (i.e. he would let the neck of his bass go into the audience so people could touch it)... but then again, Lars did dump a drink on my face.

In conclusion, I've never heard or seen anything Cliff has done that impressed me more than seeing Trujillo.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Cliff. I just loved his style. Behind the bass and on the street. I just really dug his style.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
cliff ftw. i love all the little fill and his generally entertaining stage presence. like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpxOmksHrY
hes just ****ing around and enjoying the music the whole time.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Cliff, for his time period, was a revolutionary player. Arguably the best player in Metallica when it comes to arrangements/compositions, and the most theory trained. As a bassist he was really quiet a trailblazer, with a great sound and sick skills.

Newsted, for the time he came him, when they were a HUGE rock act, was ideal. He had a tone that fit comfortably, played with full force, and sounded great with vocals. He did all his parts to fit the music of Metallica.

Trujillo is a great player. With the most diverse back log, he again fits Metallica's more arena rock/metal image, being able to adequately play to the huge crowds and get them into it. I won't judge any more of him until I hear him on a CD.

For each period of Metallica, they've had the right bass player.
haha
Its got to be Robert Trujillo. I loved his work from the Infectious Grooves as well. Cliff is a close second.
MetalUpTheAss, well f'n said.

Rob Trujillo looks downright horrifying with his stringy black hair and buggy ass-eyes when he does his little spider walk, and he looks so perfect in the 'biggest heavy band of all time' (quote from Jason Newsted)
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Newsted was mostly just hitting roots for 15 years. How dare you even compare him to Cliff? I'm not a big fan of Suicidal Tendencies so I can't say much about Rob, but we'll know what he's made of when the new album comes out.
From what i've heard of Trujillo, it isn't really that impressive (plus, the way he looks like an absolute tit when he plays is annoying, but that has nothing to do with it)

I always got the feeling Newsted was living in Burton's shadow, which wasn't ever really fair.

Newsted and Burton - tied.

Why isn't Bob Rock here?
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Fat Strat
Marshall Valvestate 65 watt

MySpace
Last.fm