Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here, but I've got a pretty interesting question. I just turned 22 years old and got into the guitar. I have had no formal training (except in Voice), and am a complete newbie. However, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with playing scales and the Gone Jackals songs pretty well at this point.

I've heard here and there that it's tough for "adults" to get into guitar and learn it to the professional level, versus a 5 year old virtuoso who is Jimmy Page by age 12. I was wondering of your thoughts and opinions regarding this. Does age really slow down music learning that much?

The music I'm practicing consists of Marilyn Manson, Thrice, The Gone Jackals, as well as scales. I practice around an hour or two a night, first scales and stretching, then learning a song or two.

As far as people telling me this, I just tell them that if a 22 year old has never gotten good at the guitar before, then I will be the first
It doesn't matter how old you are. No, you'll never be as good as you could have been had you started younger. That's not what matters. What matters is, will you enjoy it? If you like doing it, do it.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
just dont give up and you will do fine
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
Nice guitar.

If you dedicate time to practice and playing, you could become a great guitarist.

The truth is, you're still young (that sounds weird coming from a 16 year old), and have plenty of time to become an amazing musician.

However, I wouldn't get my hopes up about becoming famous, for few are able to, but in terms of becoming good at the instrument, it's all based upon your dedication.
I think if you practice hard then it won't make a difference. I don't see how it would.

Although, I have yet to be 22, so I wouldn't know.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
I don't know if it's impossible but I recommend that you increase your practice time as much as possible if you want to get good. On another note, you are damn lucky to start out with a PRS and Roland Cube. I'm very jealous. Good luck!
Fender MIM Strat w/SD Hot Rails in Bridge/Marshall AVT275x/Digitech RP200/Dunlop Classic Crybaby/Fender MIM Jazz Bass/Fender Rumble 25/Pearl Forum 5 Piece Drum Set w/Zildjian ZBT cymbal set/Shure SM58/Line 6 Toneport UX-1.
Actually and older person does have trouble picking up something like the guitar or a new language because their brains are developed and no as open to influence HOWEVER with that being said i think you're on the right track, you practice more than alot of my friends, and you seem to have the right idea so i think that if you stick with it there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to play the guitar.. good luck
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
man any one can learn to play the guitar. as long as you have determination and wont get bored with it you will do fine. Trust me there will be times where you feel so discouraged, and feel like you suck, you will never be good, etc. but dontlet that get you down, just keep playing, dont worry about what other people may say or think, just play and dont give up trying to learn it. I have seen people on here who are 45 years old and just NOW picked up the guitar and had a sudden interest in playing it, age is never an issue when it comes to guitar. The guitar has no age, its times less.
Thanks for the replies so far. Also, I wanted to ask: I have small hands (wear small/medium glove size) and sometimes I have trouble reaching certain high frets and stretching. I was wondering if this is just a beginner problem, or if the PRS SE Single Cut just has a fat fretboard.
no quit and send me your guitar
Quote by AWA
Drink your own semen. It really helps.

Quote by dave_c2k2
I download my music and i traffic drugs

Quote by wannabe jesus
^ n00b, everyone knows the e is accented. Pokémon

Quote by pnblwzrd
Ummm.... Women can't invent....
Its a bit of both but the more you work at it the better you'll get
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Holdsworth started at 18 and his technique is ridiculous

so you can do it it just takes dedication
Just practice alot, 1-2 hours is just warm up for hardcore's. Get around 5-6 if you can and you will become a good guitarist within a year or two.
I started at 16/17 which is late compared to a lot of these guys. I love it, but I know I will never be a Slash or Vai, but it is about enjoying the experience, and I love playing and singing songs that many guys on these forums could do in their sleep ;D
ya man its never to late to start, if you commit yourself then youll do fine, i might have started when i was 12 and hell im only 14 but music can be learned at any age and 1 to 2 hours a night will get you going SOMEWHAT quick... the only reason people think kids are better is cause of people like me and some other people on here who take summer break and play 8 to 10 hours a day, cause after 3 months that adds up to 900 hours, which is what you would do in around 2 and a half years... but honestly if you do an hour or two you should be at quite a decent level after a year or 2
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
It doesn't matter how old you are unless you are really old and you brain is deteriorating... hehe It will be harder to learn guitar because your brain is more developed? That's like saying, it will be hard for a 20 year old to learn calculus compared to a 10 year old. True, there are many different variables between a 10 year old and a 20 year old but age doesn't limit your ability. Just practice and progress...
^ Actually, it does. There are certain things that have to be developed in childhood that can't be developed in adults. Certain language skills, for example. You can learn guitar as an adult, but it will take more repetition than it would as a young kid. But you'll be able to do it if you stick with it. Good luck.
Hi, I'm Peter
You're not going to be a virtuoso by age 12, obviously, considering that was 10 years ago, but if you stick with it and practice I see no reason why you can't be a great guitarist. Maybe not the best you possibly could have been, but I wouldn't really worry about that.
I'm 25 and have been playing for about a year now. Hit exercises real hard in order to keep moving ahead, it will take lots of repetition, but it can be done. I still consider myself a beginner, mind you, but as long as you can see any sort of progress, you'll be fine.
Dude I wonldn't worry, although i may start to worry. I bought my first guitar 2 weeks ago (Schecter S-1 Elite) and I'M 30! I do basic exercises for 2-3 hours a night (my fiance works late so it was either teach myself a skill, or rot my brain on my Xbox 360 for 3-4 hours a night).
I'm 2 weeks in, nevre paid any attention in music class when i was a kid. 2 weeks ago i didn't know squat, but i read everyday during lunch and work pretty hard on it. I'm catching on to the terminology, looking at picture of the fretboard i know can tell you what notes are where (after some thought), it's all about dedication.
I know I'll never be Kerry King or anything but it will be nice to play some heavy stuff and screw around.

Metal Up
NZ
Schecter Jeff Loomis Sig. Hardtail... FRIDAY
B.C. Rich KKV Signature :: Kerry King EMG W/Boost
Schecter S-1 Elite :: SD Distortion Mayhem Set
Agile AL2500 Goth :: SD Hot Rod set
TTM Customshop USA Devastator :: Rusty nails W/shoelace
the best thing to do is try to play a song, if u cant do it straight away sell your guitar on ebay and get off this site, youre never to old to play guitar!
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
I'm 46 and just started over again. Dinked around when I was about 14 or so. Just did not have the patience.

22 is not old. The age this is a load of crap.

Ignore most of the stuff about progress that you read on these boards. Learning to play is a slooow progress. Plan on a year or two to become proficient. Don't worry about where you are at 3 months, 6 months etc. Take time to learn the basics. Learn scales. Take lessons. Teachers can show you things quickly that otherwise may take time to figure out. Remember, unlike a video, book or wesite, a teacher can give you and answer (and show you) to your questions.

Guitar playing is like golf, you need to work on basics all the time after a while it will all come together.

Play for your enjoyment. Metal and "shredding" is not the be all. I think the best guitar performace I have seen (abeit it short) was Roy Clark on the "Odd Couple". The thing he did at the end of the show was nothing short of amazing.
Remember have fun!
"You are too old."
-Yoda.
No I'm jk, you can probably do it.
I have a buddy that's 35 and just starting.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa 412 slant cab
Monster Power Pro 2500 Power Conditioner
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
I've been "playing" guitar for 20 years(36 yrs.old now), but never really "learned" to play (reading music and such). I've been taking lessons recently and am having a blast!! your never too old, you just need to commit to it! period! at times it may seem boring and repititious(sp) but it'll all be worth it! (if not you should have NO trouble unloading that sweet guitar!) Good luck !!!
Starting early is not the glory its made up to be.

When most kids start at 13, they play guitar probably 1 hour a week for a few years before finally taking it seriously.

22 is a fine age.
No way. Abosolutely not! You can be a great guitarist starting from any age. 30yrs, 70yrs, not even joking. Discipline can get you anywhere a young kid can get.

Yes, it hurts my pride to learn of all the the 14yr olds playing in competition circuits(like in the RUST festival for example) but remember that 8 out of 10 guitarists give up. That includes classical, rock, jazz, whatever. You CAN be the next Steve Vai(depending on natural talent & commitment) Take it from someone who's a little older then you

One undeniable truth: there is SO much versatility in guitar that it takes a long long time find your own style. If you know exactly what your goal is as a guitarist, it will be much easier, and much more effective in "mastering" a guitar style.

But if you're one of the 8/10 that quits, could you give me your guitar?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Is that an actual statistic? Just curious, cause I'd believe it.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Dont worry about man I am 18 and I am awesome so I dont think age really matters.
"Member of the Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join"
Comander of the silly sausage army pm me or KCGIG1 to join!

My gear:

Electric: Mexican Fender stratocaster
Acoustic: navaro
amp: Fender frontman 15G
Have you played video games all your life? Well then, congratulations, you've been working on dexterity for 20-plus years.
Your never too old to play guitar.

Edit: Learn guitar.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
well you are never too old, yes young people learn faster because of their brains and stuff... but when your young you dont have the patience to play a instrument... you dont play with the same convention as you do when you're an adult, i started playing bass 5 months ago im 19, everyday i leave school head home and play bass until bed time , sometimes its 4 sometimes its 1 hour a day , i dont ****ing care, i just love it, i dont care if theres a 12 year old kid that can play around the world on you tube and his father and mommy bought him a fender or a music man.. i dont ****ing care just play ...
AbsentMind
Quote by 0-n3gativ3
well you are never too old, yes young people learn faster because of their brains and stuff... but when your young you dont have the patience to play a instrument... you dont play with the same convention as you do when you're an adult, i started playing bass 5 months ago im 19, everyday i leave school head home and play bass until bed time , sometimes its 4 sometimes its 1 hour a day , i dont ****ing care, i just love it, i dont care if theres a 12 year old kid that can play around the world on you tube and his father and mommy bought him a fender or a music man.. i dont ****ing care just play ...

+10
One of the best quotes I've read on here.
It's all about love. If you don't love it, and are doing it to be cool, welcome to the 8 out of 10 you won't last.
Passion is at the heart of improving your skills.

My hat's off to you O-n3g.

Metal Up
NZ
Schecter Jeff Loomis Sig. Hardtail... FRIDAY
B.C. Rich KKV Signature :: Kerry King EMG W/Boost
Schecter S-1 Elite :: SD Distortion Mayhem Set
Agile AL2500 Goth :: SD Hot Rod set
TTM Customshop USA Devastator :: Rusty nails W/shoelace
You can be a pro in like 2-3 years. Just practice and keep the love for the instrument.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by copet
Is that an actual statistic? Just curious, cause I'd believe it.

I think it was from one of those "instructional" websites. Don't remember. IMO sounds pretty accurate.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I started when I was 30 and got farther than I ever thought I would in 3 years. It's never too late to start. All that matters is how much time and effort you put into your instrument...
I started playing last October and I was 41 then . I'm 42 now...oh noooooo!

Seriously though, I do not think being 22 is going to hinder you one bit. There are others here that are in their 50's and just started playing.

Chris
I'm also 22 and had the same thoughts in my head about this. I turn 23 next month, and I decided its finally time to get a guitar. I love the instrument, and have delved deeply into music throughout college and feel like I'm ready to dedicate myself to this. The great thing is, I'm in no way trying to get famous(wouldnt want that) and am just doing it for self satisfaction. Music is such a dominant part of my life so I won't be happy until I learn how to play.

I'm going to buy a Lefty American Strat this Saturday. I've been so excited since making this deciiosn.
Quote by Orion's Hand
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here, but I've got a pretty interesting question. I just turned 22 years old and got into the guitar. I have had no formal training (except in Voice), and am a complete newbie. However, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with playing scales and the Gone Jackals songs pretty well at this point.

I've heard here and there that it's tough for "adults" to get into guitar and learn it to the professional level, versus a 5 year old virtuoso who is Jimmy Page by age 12. I was wondering of your thoughts and opinions regarding this. Does age really slow down music learning that much?

The music I'm practicing consists of Marilyn Manson, Thrice, The Gone Jackals, as well as scales. I practice around an hour or two a night, first scales and stretching, then learning a song or two.

As far as people telling me this, I just tell them that if a 22 year old has never gotten good at the guitar before, then I will be the first

It's not too late to start playing. You can still play professionally if you really tried, and of course, if you wanted. Just think about it, you can play guitar at pretty much any age. All you need is a bit of hand eye co-ordination, finger and arm strength, a brain and determination. As long as you have those, you should be fine.
Page 1 of 2