i have a noob question, which i should know but don't. You've all been there, you all know what i am talking about. so...

what are the benefits of having head and cab amps, as opposed to just an all-in one one (there are a few technical terms that i am missing, i know). one benefit is volume, obviously, but what else...?

thanks, all.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
the sounds seem fuller with a head+cab than a combo in my opinion.
more headroom and yea.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Head plus cab is normally closed back, which gives a tighter (not necessarily better) bottom end and more directional sound

You normally don't see 4x12 combos, so if you're after the sound of one of those you need it seperate

They look cool I guess

You know I prefer combos
volume, headroom, various head and cabinet variations... it all comes down to how much and serious you are going to be playing shows.
headroom? sorry, elaborate if you can...
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Of course you get more volume. The bass is alot tighter because of the closed back as mentioned above. The sound is large and in charge. Just know that 412 cabinets are a PAIN to lift all the time. Venues with large sets of stairs will start looking worse and worse to you. But there is something you can do about it! Just get your friends on the guest list at your shows and make them move it for you.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
you get a beefier low end from a head and cabinet and the lows are tighter especially on clean. also more roomy like having surround sound compared to a mono tv speaker.I just changed from a marshall valvestate 100w combo to jcm2000 half stack, but for me the sound was too similar to warrant the extra cash so im selling it.

I play bass also and spent a day linking my bass combo and guitar which sounds like a beast. It will do til i get a mesa or el diablo, and i dont have to lug it around and have the room space problems.