Could I practice multiple licks at the same time, like say I played a short 4 measure lick for an hour in this way, then I took a brake and practiced a sweep for an hour, then I practiced apart of Flight of the Bumblebee for an hour. Would it screw up my muscle memory? And how long should these peices?
naw you can practice as much of anything as you want from what i understand. as long as you do it slowly consistently. i'm practicing string skipping and sweep picking and even going back to basics on some things just to make'em sound a lil prettier.
z4twenny, did it work for you?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
i remember this coming up a while ago, what is it again?

edit:

whoa! im in your sig! that never happens to me!
woooooooo!
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Last edited by EZLN libertad at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by EZLN libertad
i remember this coming up a while ago, what is it again?

edit:

whoa! im in your sig! that never happens to me!
woooooooo!

It is practicing something really slow for 21 days and at the end you are sopposed to improve alot. Theres a thread on it, but I'm too lazy to look it up, maybe later.

Sry, A few more questions. I've been practicing a part of Flight of the Bumblebee. Its 8 measures long in 2/4 time, and It doesnt loop, Is this too long or should I break it down even further and practice 4 measures?

When a lick doesn't loop back around should I add something in to make it loop or just stop at the end and replay it?
im actually working on the same piece right now, see if you can break that down even shorter, i run really short parts of it, like

D-7-6-5-4-5-4-3-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-7-6

over and over, very rarely do i work on something over 2 measures long
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Did the 21 day thing work for anyone else?
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
its working for me right now, i can tell the difference only a few days in (i think 5 or 6 days now, tonight will be the 6th night.)
It works
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
So how much would you practice it? would you just practice a bunch of licks or one?
DANNY

i practice several licks

heres one i've been practicing in 6/8.....

e----------------------------------------14------
B----------------------------15---------------------------
G-16-12-----16-12----------16---12-14-16-----------
D---------14----------14--------------------------------
A----------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------

which is just basically an Em7add9 thing (i think its considered add 9, E,G,B,D,F#), i just play this and move it down in the minor scale so i get a run that goes over the chords

Em7add9,D7add9,C7add9,B7add9

(the multiple add 9's lend to the movement of the chord coming up)
i think it would just be a Em9.
DANNY

^ but theres a 7th thrown in there too that really highlights it, i use A as a kinda passing tone
The 21 day thing is really great for developing cleanness. I searched for a random shred thing, and found this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ih5jBi5laqk

I figured it out and started playing it pretty slowly about 4 days ago, and I am playing it really cleanly now, though I don't have it at high speed yet. However, I can easily see it coming to me in a week or two now.
Quote by z4twenny
^ but theres a 7th thrown in there too that really highlights it, i use A as a kinda passing tone

an Add is without the 7, no?
DANNY