Hello,
I've recently gotten a huge desire to be able to record my own songs, but I don't have a band right now.

so...

I was wondering what the best path to take was.

I've considered buying Fruity Loops Studio 6 off of musician's friend, but I'm not sure how good it is for metal drums.

I've also considered a Line 6 POD 2.0, (to plug into some recording program) but I heard that wasn't good for metal either.

And last of all, I've considered a multi-track recorder, but I'm not sure what I would do for drums, or if the sound quality would be very good (If it was analog, Digital seems a little expensive).

I am definately open to any suggestions, except for downloading, because my dad doesn't want me downloading stuff. (Even though I have downloaded Audacity and Hydrogen, but I can't use those when anyone is around, and it would be nice to have those in the same program).

Thank you so much in advance.

TPG.
Originally posted by ForTheOptimists
anal seepage diffiently takes the cake for me. Congratulations the_pick_gnome you are one sick twisted person :]
Metal drum loops here for $30:

http://www.drumsfromhell.com/homeofdrumloops.html

Tell your dad that you are going to buy the software instead od just downloading it

I've used Cakewalk's Guitar tracks Pro in the past with great success (and for not too much $$). I believe they are on the version 3 now though I only know the original version. I was in a two piece goth/punk/metal project that we used this to record and it came out great. Just an idea . . .
^I was kind of looking for a drum programming program to make my own beats.

But the Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro looks pretty cool, and it got me wondering: What is the difference between that and Sonar (one of the $100 ones).

EDIT: I just realized that the Tracks Pro has Amplitude. Does Sonar have a sequencer I could use for drums?

Or would this be something that I could use? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cakewalk-SONAR-Home-Studio-6-XL?sku=700935

It says it has synth and session drummer, how does session drummer work?

Also, is it bad to plug the soundcard into my amp and record that way?
anal seepage diffiently takes the cake for me. Congratulations the_pick_gnome you are one sick twisted person :]
Last edited by the_pick_gnome at Feb 28, 2007,
I understand about wanting to write your own drum parts. I then suggest Beatcraft:

http://www.acoustica.com/beatcraft/

There is a free trial which will let you audition it for 7 days. I just downloaded the free trial myself yesterday and am playing around with it. I'm actually going back and forth between this and the Drums from Hell loops . . .

I'm not sure about the Sonar, sorry.
Even if you had the best gear in the world, your first recording isn't going to be that great (unless the music is just mind blowing).

I use DHF Superior for my drum programming. I've gotten some really cool metal sounds with this. If I'm producing a band, we'll go to a big studio with a console and a big room. I think the programming sounds just as good as the real thing (but takes way longer to program well).

For guitars, I've got to use the real thing. I need a cranked up amp. I can't get what i want with direct gadgetry unless I'm doing an industrial kind of thing.

Brandon
Quote by brandondrury
Even if you had the best gear in the world, your first recording isn't going to be that great (unless the music is just mind blowing).

I use DHF Superior for my drum programming. I've gotten some really cool metal sounds with this. If I'm producing a band, we'll go to a big studio with a console and a big room. I think the programming sounds just as good as the real thing (but takes way longer to program well).

For guitars, I've got to use the real thing. I need a cranked up amp. I can't get what i want with direct gadgetry unless I'm doing an industrial kind of thing.

Brandon

What is DHF? I'm considering Beatcraft (for writing patterns), or Drums From Hell (for loops), but would like to know of others too.
^DHF is Drumkit From Hell. DHF Superior is a large drum program, but there is also DFH2,which I am really considering, then getting some software to put everything in. Would it be a good idea to do this? (mostly to Brandondrury)
Quote by the_pick_gnome
^DHF is Drumkit From Hell. DHF Superior is a large drum program, but there is also DFH2,which I am really considering, then getting some software to put everything in. Would it be a good idea to do this? (mostly to Brandondrury)

Thanks. I originally thought that the Drumkit from Hell was this:
http://www.drumsfromhell.com/homeofdrumloops.html

But I see they are different softwares. Is the DFH a programable drum machine software of pre-programed loops only?
^programmable.

I also have another question (to Brandondrury). Would it be a good idea to get fruity loops studio 6 (the $99 one) and then buy some interface w/ a mic to record into it (like the m-audio fastrack bundle)?

Would they work with each other?
I personally use a Line 6 POD version 2

if you don't believe it's good for metal have a listen to my recording of Midnite Riots
www.myspace.com/retrosphere

I used to use fruity loops then my computer got fried....
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
^Was that recorded straight from your pod to your computer/recording device?
Also, is fruity loops decent for metal? I'm not too picky.
Lol. It's rather funny when people say "Buy" and "Fruity Loops" in the same sentence.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Would Cubase SE (with Groov Agent SE) be decent for programming drums with a mouse? Would I be able to use a Line 6 Toneport with it? Also, would a POD plugged into the soundcard sound any better/worse than a Toneport?
Quote by the_pick_gnome
Also, would a POD plugged into the soundcard sound any better/worse than a Toneport?

Same algorithms so it will probably sound about the same.