Ive only been playing for about a year and a half and i have begun writting my own

music. Im getting sick and tired of GP5 because it is just a simulation and it isnt ME

playing. Im thinking of looking into recording and i need help. I know nothing about

recording or the equipment used, is it a computer program or another electronic

device or what? I am a complete NOOB when it comes to stuff other than a guitar,

amp and pick. I have plenty of money and am willing to make more if needed, just

nothing over 1 grand if they even are that expensive.The simpler the better, but i

want quality too. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Well, this is good cause I was also looking into buying some stuff and was wondering about the BOSS MR-2 or w/e recording deck...

It has 8 tracks and can drum tracks and all the stuff, but does anyone here use it?
cheap recording solution (and what i use): Tascam US 122 USB interface, probably about $200, thats what i paid when i got it, then download Audacity, its a free program on the internet just google it. set everythin up, buy a mic or two any other thinsg you need to connect to your interface, voila, audacity isnt the best program in the world, but its free, and it works as long as your computer doesnt suck. i use it with my condenser mic for vocals and my acoustic guitar, an you make for some halfway decent acoustic demos, but ive recorded my band this way too. not great, but she works
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
Hey i can sell you an m-audio moble pre. it come with software demos for live lite 4 and pro tools 7. it is usb and has 2 mic pre amps and 2 line ins for your guitar if needed. make an offer. Goes new for $150 and this one is barly touched. i only used it for about a month untill i upgraded to the delta. I have this with all of the original software and packaging. no scratches or anything like that. here is the link for more details. pm me about anything you need to know or if intrested. thanks bro and good luck.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MobilePre-USB-Portable-Audio-Interface?sku=701368
Quote by magikman13
Well, this is good cause I was also looking into buying some stuff and was wondering about the BOSS MR-2 or w/e recording deck...

It has 8 tracks and can drum tracks and all the stuff, but does anyone here use it?

I guess they're great for singer/songwriter stuff and people that just want to record their own stuff. Just a month ago, a friend had a pretty bad experience with a digital 8track Boss(don't know the model) when trying to record his band.

What he told me was that he'd never seen a portable record/mixer box so completely aimed at the "musician in his bedroom" kind of thing, also overcomplicated, under-featured. He did say it looked cool though.

So yeah, for the threadstarter too, I think a USB/Firewire computer interface with good pre-amps is a great way to go. I personally like M-Audio a lot. Or if computers aren't your thing, I think Tascam Portastudios are a good "no-brainer" buy. Good stuff well under $500
Heres an even cheaper solution that will give you good results. I use the Soundblaster Extreme Music Sound Card (around $75 now but they have more involved versions but you pay more). I does great things with recordings. Use Audacity to record, its free and does a decent job. Buy a Shure SM57 Microphone for recording instruments. Get an SM58 for recording vocals. Their $99 each. I bought a pair of AKG D-9000's at Musicians Friend for $75 and they work great for vocals. Not as good for instruments. Then search the internet for the proper settings. If you are recording acoustic adjust only the the compression and leave the rest alone. Less is better for acoustic. Set Compression at Threshold: -6 db; Ratio: 3:1-4:1; Attack: 15 ms; Release: 400 ms; Gain: input and output should match.

Good Luck