So I've been working on Snow (Hey Oh) by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I know how to play it but I just can't get the timing down. I finger the chords and do the sweep picking followed by the hammer on and pull off stuff but lose the rhythm about one cycle into the song. When John plays it, it sounds saturated so it sounds like he's playing up by the neck but I feel like I have to ground my hand at the bridge. If ya got a picking technique for playing this song let me know.
well you got further than me, i never tried sweeping it before. :P
My gear:
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E
Schecter Damien 6
BOSS GT-8 Multi FX
BOSS MT-2
sweep pick?! yea i guess you could call it that, but at that tempo, it would be alot more accurate to just alt pick it. when i play it i play it more or less all alt picked--its not a very hard rhythm to play.
Try this picking pattern, start slow and work up to speed (d=down, u=up):

Code:
e|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
B|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
G|-----4---4h-6h-4---4-|-----4---4h-6h-4---4-|---------------------|-----6---6h-8h-6---6-|
D|---6---6---------6---|---6---6---------6---|-----4---4h-6h-4---4-|---8---8---------8---|
A|-6-------------------|-7-------------------|---6---6---------6---|-9-------------------|
E|---------------------|---------------------|-7-------------------|---------------------|
d d u d u d u d d u d u d u d d u d u d u d d u d u d u

e|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
B|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
G|-----4---4h-6h-4---4-|-----4---4h-6h-4---4-|---------------------|---------------------|
D|---6---6---------6---|---6---6---------6---|-----4---4h-6h-4---4-|-----4---4h-6h-4---4-|
A|-6-------------------|-7-------------------|---6---6---------6---|---4---4---------6---|
E|---------------------|---------------------|-7-------------------|-6-------------------|
d d u d u d u d d u d u d u d d u d u d u d d u d u d u

i made a thread like this a couple months ago, and someone gave me this
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
yea, i sweep it too
for the neck sound try using your neck pickup haha. youve probably already thought of that though hahaa
but just fool around with your amp settings i bet you can get it.
whoa thats messed up bad
go to my profile, then go to all my started threads, then the one called snow, its in there

EDIT:
ehh screw it, heres the link

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496538
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Last edited by tbsff_7 at Feb 27, 2007,
Yeah. It's not really sweeping, and he's also probably using effects to get that sound and the neck pickup on his strat. I love that song and can play it (I think it sounds close to his style). I had to practice it so much though. I would say it's one of the hardest songs I've ever learned and I play a lot of fast metal and stuff. It's pretty challenging. Just practice and I'm sure you'll get it. Try playing it further away from the bridge and using your neck pickup.
use a capo at the 4th fret if you want
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
thanks I'll try the alternate picking pattern on the tbsff's thread and maybe the capo, but my left hand is pretty strong and fretting isn't a problem any more for me, just picking.
i am naturally use to doing down strokes... and it doesnt seem that hard... how long have you been playing ? it took me a day or two to get down and ive only been playing a year or so...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
john doubletracks it in the studio, so its really hard to keep it at the speed he does
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
I've been working on it for some seven months and still can't get it perfectly but it's coming, so keep trying until you find the method for you; I'm experimenting with sweeping it now but before I did it all downstrokes with aweful accuracy.