Poll Options
View poll results: Looks or Sound?
Looks
23 15%
Sound
134 85%
Voters: 157.
Page 1 of 2
I like going build quality, then feel, then looks, then sound because I can always buy the pickups to get the sound I want. i dont like the looks of the dimebag guitars but thats just me. do you like any other shape guitar and how much $ do u have to spend?
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
deans in general look retarded. you might as well write "x-treme!" on it to get more 13 year olds to buy them
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by PureIronMaiden
id spend up to 350 U.S. and ill take anything kinda metal lookin. B.C. Rich or Dean or whatever.

You stupid ass mother ****er.
Dickless.
Sound is much more important to me, but very bad looks drive me away. I couldn't stand to have a Stingray because they're so ugly, but yet they have great tone!
i think u should go by look before sound because u cant change the way a guitar looks, but u can change the way a guitar sounds.
I always go sound over looks, but I do have exceptions.

like if a daisy rock had the best tone ever with my amp... i still wouldnt want to take it to college

also what the fuck is a gibson epiphone les paul
for me its the fell and sound, looks come in last but then again i wont play a really ugly guitar.
I love the great super strat shape,keeps it simple..
Sound first man. Iron maiden had strats in there lineup with what I think were hotrails. Regardless, if you were to release an album, people will obviously hear you, but how will they know what guitar you're playing?
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Sound and playability first

Who cares what it looks like if you can't play it and it sounds like shit
yall are forgetting that its ALOT easier to alter the sound of a guitar than the way a guitar looks.
Ryan I have a qiestion for you, what would you rather have, a gutar that was more metal than metal itself, or a guitar with orgasm inducing sound?
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Quote by Ryank285
yall are forgetting that its ALOT easier to alter the sound of a guitar than the way a guitar looks.

What you don't seem to know is that shape/type/quality of the wood of a guitar are way Way more critical to tone than are the things you can change. An upgrade in pickups may add some clarity and output but if your guitar sounds like shit to begin with it really isn't gonna matter that much. Which is why a Fender with the same pickups and setup as a Squier will always sound superior. Same for Gibson and Epiphone or whatever quality brand against it's low end sister. Going for looks over tone imo is just ignorant.
Quote by Ryank285

You put a dress on a pig and it is still a pig. The same holds true for a the sound of a guitar. (generally)
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Quote by magicninja_
What you don't seem to know is that shape/type/quality of the wood of a guitar are way Way more critical to tone than are the things you can change. An upgrade in pickups may add some clarity and output but if your guitar sounds like shit to begin with it really isn't gonna matter that much. Which is why a Fender with the same pickups and setup as a Squier will always sound superior. Same for Gibson and Epiphone or whatever quality brand against it's low end sister. Going for looks over tone imo is just ignorant.

he was talking about the LOOK of the guitar, not the type of wood and quality. im saying its a lot harder to change the shape of the body than it is to change the sound of it (replacing pickups, better hardware, etc.).
Quote by Ryank285
he was talking about the LOOK of the guitar, not the type of wood and quality. im saying its a lot harder to change the shape of the body than it is to change the sound of it (replacing pickups, better hardware, etc.).

I'm gonna tell you a secret all the guitars that look "cool" are built like shit because the guitar company knows some noob is gonna buy the damn thing because of how it looks. This is why B.C. rich can produce some of the most appalling sounding guitars and still turn a profit. As for the shape of a guitar why do you think 70% of guitars have an LP or Strat shaped body? It's physics man. These shapes offer the best tone. The farther you get away from these shapes the more the tone suffers.
Quote by suicideangel_2
I always go sound over looks, but I do have exceptions.

like if a daisy rock had the best tone ever with my amp... i still wouldnt want to take it to college

also what the fuck is a gibson epiphone les paul

I dunno, I mean, their Starburst Retro H De-Luxe is a pretty nice looking guitar. A real eye-turner.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

You stupid ass mother ****er.

i have to agree
First guitar i bought was for looks, If i get another one, will probably be the same. Although the guitar is pretty nice so its even.
Don't get a guitar for "metal looks" over sound, you retarded poser.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
im surprised some people still find "metal looking" guitars "cool". the majority of the players play classically shaped guitars.
As far as a guitar goes, looks should definitely be a determining factor. If you buy an ugly ass guitar, you're not going to want to play it. However, the most beautiful guitar in your opinion could also should like shit. Basically, the pickups are what is going to give you the most sound. So, find a group of nicely built guitars with good pickups, and then pick the one that looks the best for you.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I usually go for sound over looks. I recently had to decide between an Epiphone LP and a Schecter Extreme 006. In my opinion the LP is MUCH more beautiful but the schecter felt so much better; the LP didn't stand a chance. Anyhow, that's my opinion...
Quote by R_H_C_P
Don't get a guitar for "metal looks" over sound, you retarded poser.

+999999999999999999999999999999999
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by magnus_maximus
Looks. Why else would they have invented distortion if not to shift those god-awful-bee-in-a-jar-sounding BC Rich s

actually, distortion wasnt really "invented" persay. distortion was derived from tube amps being cranked up and overdriven. its actually considered a flaw in tube technology because the signal breaks up as it gets louder but it sounds so cool so it is emulated. tube technology is actually VERY outdated but it still sells very well because of the natural overdriven, distortion sound.
So a question to all of you who thought sound and feel was more important than the looks of a guitar, which would you choose: A Fender Standard Strat or a Gibson Melody Maker?
Quote by Der Bomber
So a question to all of you who thought sound and feel was more important than the looks of a guitar, which would you choose: A Fender Standard Strat or a Gibson Melody Maker?

melody makers.
^do you mind telling us why? (you see, I'm interested of buying a melody maker but I need comments about it).
Quote by kanamvar32
I like going build quality, then feel, then looks, then sound because I can always buy the pickups to get the sound I want. i dont like the looks of the dimebag guitars but thats just me. do you like any other shape guitar and how much $ do u have to spend?

Your sir are a ****ing idiot. Everyone knows that pickups arn't the only thing that influences a guitar's sound.
I would never buy an ugly guitar, over my dead body, but however if i have to choose between bad sounding but awsome looking guitar or a good looking and good sounding guitar i would pick the good sounding.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Depends on which Dimebag.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
For me its actually a combination. when i see a great looking guitar, i want to pick it up and play it. but then if it feels good ill keep playing it, and if it sounds good ill never put it down. But i would say the most important is sound, but feel and look are also important to an extent.
Looks are what make me WANT a guitar, but it's feel, playablility and quality that dictates whether I buy it or not.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Looks. Why else would they have invented distortion if not to shift those god-awful-bee-in-a-jar-sounding BC Rich s

Because Pete Townsend said so.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Page 1 of 2