im putting this here instead of the band leading forum for a reason.

from the guitarists standpoint, from your experiences, what is the best way to go about starting a band that wont fall apart within a month? i think different instruments would have different ways of going at this. any help is appreciated
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
The more you just "jam" with them before calling it a band seems to work well for me. Don't count an idea out because it's not "your music." When starting, put all ideas on the table and go from there. If you don't all have about the same view on things (music style, where you wanna go, etc.), it's going to fail 99/100 times.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
plus being a guitar player you have LOTS of competition, so don't be afraid of playing outside of your "genre"
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Make sure your lead singer is willing to share the spotlight. If hes going to get pissed everytime you solo for more then 10 seconds, you two will just end up butting heads.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Share your pot.

Or share your straight-edgedness.

I find that when everyone in the band is extremely open-minded about music (ie. willing to listen to/play anything from metal to jazz to hip-hop tunes), then the band will definitely work.

Otherwise, similar musical tastes can really help, as well as the ability to just have fun.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Yeah, when praticing, a good hour-two hours is all you need if it's productive. If it's not, go in, kill the shit out of each other on PS2, Xbox, 360, PS3, insert your system of choice, or paintball. Then go back to jamming
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Quote by DisplacedLogic
Yeah, when praticing, a good hour-two hours is all you need if it's productive. If it's not, go in, kill the shit out of each other on PS2, Xbox, 360, PS3, insert your system of choice, or paintball. Then go back to jamming

That's exactly what we do haha.

The schedule goes:
Jam
Wii
Jam
PS2
Jam
Random crap flash game on the internet

And then we chill to some music.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Share your pot.

What works for me is finding people who are willing to share a vision. Make sure you surround yourself with people of a like mind, and with the same goals. Find people with simillar schedules too. It sucks trying to book shows if one member works weekend nights. Don't settle for musicians just because they are available. Make sure you audition several different people for each position. Also go to a restaraunt or bar, or any public place, and just talk for a few hours. Get to know their personallity. Think of it as trying to form a family. If everyone gets along you will be able to stick it out longer. Don't be a dick-tator! Stay away from egocentric bastards, even though that would exclude most vocalists. As long as you can get along, share a vision and become a solid unit, the only limitation is your abillity.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~