My math teacher told me today that there is a strong connection between music and math, he told me that almost everyone he knew that was a mathematician was also a musician, I was just wandering are there any facts connecting the two??
Sound waves, like amplitude and frequency are very math related. Also maybe the way intervals and chords are structured can count as math.
Yes, there are. I sure as hell don't feel like looking them up right now, though.

It makes sense, though, doesn't it? Music theory is purely mathematical. Music is about relationships, as is math.
i love all kinds of music and listen to alot of classical when im workin on any math, and kinda enjoy math in a way, just going to an extent of figuring shiyet out. i believe theres a connection between the 2
Quote by mental_zer0
there's a strong connection between your teacher and is gay.

kidding. yes there is a connection.

**** off, or there'll be a strong connection between your face and my fist.

EDIT: ah, well - had to be said, i guess
Meh, there was a thread about this exact topic just a week ago. You could probably find it with the search button.
that sucks
but he is right
everything from you guitars measurements and perfect intonation to the sound coming out of your amp
pure math

this is a ****ed up world we live in
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
There is exactly zero correlation between math and music. Except, of course, the fact that there is 0 correlation between them.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by Dirge Humani
The part of the brain that makes you good at logistical thinking also helps with creating music. I think.

yeah, what he said.
Tool and The Holy Gift...

(now that was some trippy shit)
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
My adv. algebra book said that when you take a root not, for example A 440, when you divide the frequency , by 2, A 220, you get the root an octave lower. Same if you double, into A 880, its an octave higher. There is also alot of math in Rythme(spellcheck?)
Quote by Tehzekester
1. Find a hot chick's myspace.
2. Get lotion.
3. Look at pr0nz.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Quote by Sid McCall
so I said: "those aren't the couch cushions, those are my testicles!"

Add Me
^ Sure, music is entirely physics (as are all physical things), but I think what the threadstarter is questioning is whether playing music makes you better at math, and vice versa. Of course, studies have shown that both are true.
Yep...also, people who play chess tend to be better at math.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Only two types of genuine child prodigies have been recognized by anthropologists: musical and mathematical. However, some scientists think that it should only be one type since music and math are so closely related.

Music theory is really nothing but applied mathematics and science. Our whole concept of pitch comes from shifts in frequencies at regular hertz intervals. The concept of note values is based on fractions that have to add up to the total value of a measure. When you read music or play a song, you're constantly adding and subtracting fractional values. One sixteenth plus one eight plus three sixteenths... so on and so forth.

I read an article in Time not long ago about a physicist who came up with a theory regarding the progression of chord changes. Each possible chord was a multi-dimensional figure on a massive grid with all the other chords, and chord progressions rotate moving from one figure to the next, shifting around small areas of the grid over and over again.........or something like that. It was pretty interesting.

If you haven't already done so, read up on the Mozart effect. I did a science fair project on it one year. Listening to certain musical pieces can actually increase your I.Q. and cognitive/logical capabilities for a short time.

Also, studies have shown that children who take music lessons develop significantly greater math and logic skills than children who don't take them.
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Feb 27, 2007,
Well duh. If you're at level 4 on your volume knob and you move it up 3 notches, what level will it be at?

...and that's about as much math as any musician's gonna want to do.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Ace88
Well duh. If you're at level 4 on your volume knob and you move it up 3 notches, what level will it be at?

Don't speak for all musicians, ROFL!

EDIT: Since when do trumpets have volume knobs?
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
There is exactly zero correlation between math and music. Except, of course, the fact that there is 0 correlation between them.

There are, however, 0 and 1 correlations between music and math. Hows about the fact that every bit of digital musical gear boils down to binary codes, right down your iPod.

There have been a few threads on this already. There's a ton of info on the net about how math and music are related.
Quote by Ace88

Except that musicians do math all the time, by constructing chords, learning scales, learning progressions, etc.
there are 2 schools of thought on this.

1 -- everything about music is related to math.
the relationship between frequencies of harmonic intervals, subdivision of meter, etc.

2 -- math? fuggit! just grip it, and rip it.

take your pick. (pun intended)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
well, i LOVE music, and i HATE maths. i got like ear for music and stuff, advantages for that, and i SUCK at maths.

yah that volume knob thing is pretty much true for me :P
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

the relationship between frequencies of harmonic intervals, subdivision of meter, etc.

What about the psychological relationship, as opposed to the scientific, physical relationship? Isn't that the point of this thread?
yes there is obvious connections.
When you count, wheather it be whole notes to 32, You sub-divide. for quarter notes its(in 4/4) 1-2-3-4- 1 note per beat. Then with eighth notes its 1&2&3&4& ....16th...1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a... for complex movements counting is essential... with quarter rests...eighth rests...mixed with ties...yes. to me its very mathematical.
Me-You're a fucking retard
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
Me-So you agree?
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Well Put
Quote by Logic Smogic
What about the psychological relationship, as opposed to the scientific, physical relationship? Isn't that the point of this thread?

no, not really.

original question:

Quote by flaming_frets08
Music and Math??

My math teacher told me today that there is a strong connection between music and math, he told me that almost everyone he knew that was a mathematician was also a musician, I was just wandering are there any facts connecting the two??

there's nothing wrong with talking about other aspects.

but they weren't in threadstarters question.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Okay, then - I see your point. I guess I'm just pointing the conversation towards the less trivial, more interesting stuff.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Problem is, that requires natural talent; which almost nobody truly has a lot of. Why limit yourself knowingly? That just seems like an ignorant and childish thing to do.

Remember, kids, music is never hard. It's all shits and giggles. If you have to work at something, fuck it, you're doing it wrong.
My philosophy is anything that involves numbers is usually math. Music has numbers. So its math.......i guess.
Quote by Dictionary
math

noun
a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangement
No need to philosophize over something that has a set definition!
Yay, and Im studying engineering, it means I am a kick ass musician.

But yeah theres a lot of relation between math and music. Music is pure theory and math is pure theory, music intervals are math related. Even in physics books theres a section called the Music Physics.