A starter note: Boiling bass strings is not good. Putting metal in water makes it rust. Putting metal in an over before the water makes the metal rusty makes the metal more fragile and makes it sound worse. Do not boil bass strings.

Anyway, on the very famous tunemybass.com, the webmaster gives directions to wash bass strings with Denatured Alcohol. Does this work? And is there a better way then to make a ridiculous PVC pipe resovoir?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
A starter note: Boiling bass strings is not good. Putting metal in water makes it rust. Putting metal in an over before the water makes the metal rusty makes the metal more fragile and makes it sound worse. Do not boil bass strings.

Anyway, on the very famous tunemybass.com, the webmaster gives directions to wash bass strings with Denatured Alcohol. Does this work? And is there a better way then to make a ridiculous PVC pipe resovoir?

IMO It works better than boiling. I do it all the time. I say go for it.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Does it really make them sound brand new? I use stainless steels, and that chorusy bumblebee sound is dear to my heart.

Also, what do you put it all in?

How many times can you wash a set before they're dead-dead?

Finally, what if my strings have silk ends? Does the alcohol make them look ugly and/or smell?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Does it really make them sound brand new? I use stainless steels, and that chorusy bumblebee sound is dear to my heart.

Also, what do you put it all in?

How many times can you wash a set before they're dead-dead?

Finally, what if my strings have silk ends? Does the alcohol make them look ugly and/or smell?

1.) It makes my strings sound new.
2.) http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_string_cleaning_tube.html
3.) The most I have done was 3 times. After that they sound new for like a day or two not the usual month and few weeks.
4.) Sorry can't answer that one. Never used silk ended strings before.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

PM NightmareXT To Join!

Yeah I really wanted to avoid making that PVC pipe container thingy.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
You can always get an old cookie tray or baking pan that’s at least is deep enough to cover your strings with liquid coil them up and drop them in. Just make sure you cover it because that shit evaporates very quickly.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry

PM NightmareXT To Join!

Quote by thefitz

I boiled my last set of strings 3 or 4 times. Every time they came out sounding awesome and were completely rust-free. Then a quick wipe with some alcahol based cleaner/ lubricant (the one I have is some Planet Waves crap, and it doesn't clean shit. Lubes them strings up nice though) and I'm good to go.
Boiling bass strings works for me every time.
Quote by Bumper
You know you're a bassist when someone asks you why you play bass and you reply, "Bass is my voice, my expression. I can say things through my bass that I can't anywhere else. Also, it makes my nutsack vibrate."
Metal + water does not equal rust. Metal + Water + oxygen = rust. So if you boil them and wipe them down dry straight away they will not go rusty.

My experience with boiling and strings and using alcohol is thata, although they come out sounding new, it only lasts for a few days and then they go back to how they were.

There is, and never will be, a substitute for new strings.

if you're skint though, it can get some life back..
I agree with both of the above. I have never had any of my strings go rusty on me, and I find that boiling does work to an extent. It's better than nothing anyway
Water can get between the windings and in the cores, even if you wipe them. When the cores rust, you're toast. But that's all good to know, thanks.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Applehead
Metal + water does not equal rust. Metal + Water + oxygen = rust. So if you boil them and wipe them down dry straight away they will not go rusty.

My experience with boiling and strings and using alcohol is thata, although they come out sounding new, it only lasts for a few days and then they go back to how they were.

There is, and never will be, a substitute for new strings.

if you're skint though, it can get some life back..

Perfectly said
Quote by Fast_Bear
Whell if you play on the strings imeedietly after you boil them the vibrations shake out the water from the core.

And they shake it all into the pick-ups on your bass. I'd rather have a rusty core than dead pups.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Quote by Pysmone
And they shake it all into the pick-ups on your bass. I'd rather have a rusty core than dead pups.

Whell for one there is no chance of the pup shorting out! It generates current from teh vibration in a coil! No energy is sent from the amp at all! (Unless the amp shorts, then your BAss is ****ed nomatter what you do)

Secondly, what little water gets into the core is an extremely small amount. Almost a nonexistant amount. The most that will come out is a EXTREMELY light dew around the string! And your skin will suck that up real easy just from playing!
what i do is melt vaseline in the microwave and mix it with alcohol i leave my strings in it overnight and PRESTO! good as new.
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
My problem is the lube,it's not easing the pain,it just makes it less gripy

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Wait a minute! Do they send the boxes in boxes!?

EASY MONEY!!!!
Quote by UltimateNirvana
what i do is melt vaseline in the microwave and mix it with alcohol i leave my strings in it overnight and PRESTO! good as new.

That sounds disgusting, and almost like a type of sex lube.
Quote by UltimateNirvana

You better keep quiet about that. That's Elixer's secret string coating recipe. They wouldn't be happy if they found out you knew it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102