Poll: How often do you pop a string?
Poll Options
View poll results: How often do you pop a string?
once a week
1 1%
once a month
8 7%
every few months
35 31%
never
64 57%
every minute cuz im hardcore like that
5 4%
Voters: 113.
Page 1 of 2
It seems like every few weeks i pop a set of strings and i get drs so its kinda pricey which is why im gonna have to start buying walmart brand soon. how often do you guys pop your strings?
I've only broken a string twice and it was when I got my new bass. I didn't realize there was a problem with the neck and I kept tightening them to try to get it in tune but it never would since the neck was bowed. I snapped the stock strings and a set of EB Hybrid Slinkys
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

depends how much im practicing, usually im going about an hour or so a day, sometimes up to 3 or 4. ive invested in coated DR's and i stand by them, ive had them for 6 months now and they havent lost ANY tone.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by leftybassdude
damn i guess my case is different then because i play the funk with my band

pop the string, dont pull it off the body. sounds like either bad technique or just too mute brute force.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by leftybassdude
damn i guess my case is different then because i play the funk with my band

Yeah, no. Sounds like your bridge saddles need to be filed smooth, you likely have a burr or whatnot on it. Take it to a tech if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

And, keep on playing "the funk"
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
, i still have my stock strings on

i should change them but i was waiting for them to break first but that hasn't happend
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i get scared sometimes when im playing an upright that has old strings. i know they dont snap, but if they did, id be missing several limbs. probably half my face too.
Quote by Mr. T
Quote by leftybassdude
It seems like every few weeks i pop a set of strings and i get drs so its kinda pricey which is why im gonna have to start buying walmart brand soon. how often do you guys pop your strings?

Your breaking bass strings?
Quote by crazypeanutman
i get scared sometimes when im playing an upright that has old strings. i know they dont snap, but if they did, id be missing several limbs. probably half my face too.

To be perfectly honest, nothing much happens when they snap. The break occurs slowly (relatively speaking) so a lot of the energy is dissipated before the string actually breaks into two. Be more worried about the neck snapping while you're playing (hasn't happened to me but I witnessed such an event last year...I can laugh about it now but it was scary as hell at the time).

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

I've never broke a string. I did pop a G string at Guitar Center once because I kept turning it and it never seemed to get in tune.
hehe when my string pops...well it hardly ever pops...i have to wait like a week before i can play that string because i don't have one handy.
I try not to break my strings very often now...Not like i try to or anything...
If You Leave One Piece Of Chocolate, You Can Convince Yourself You Haven't Eaten The Whole Block
Quote by Nighthawk551
I've never broke a string. I did pop a G string at Guitar Center once because I kept turning it and it never seemed to get in tune.

Did you have to buy new strings for it?
or did u put it back and not tell anyone? lol
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
^ I know I'd be all shifty eyed, put the bass back, and swiftly leave.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

I probably break a G string every month or two. Amazingly I don't break them popping as much as I do bending, but I'm generally hard on my strings all-around, so they're kinda expected to break occasionally. A couple weeks ago I ended up breaking a string right in the middle of a killer bass solo with a band I was in, I just finished up the solo on another string and held the broken string out a foot so from the body of my guitar to show my bandmates, which was responded to by the song being ended due to uncontrollable laughter and confusion.

I have a bad track record with strings, I break acoustic guitar strings, I broke my guitarist's high E not even 5 minutes after it was in my hands. At least I have yet to break a string on my fretless
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by canadianpunk071
To be perfectly honest, nothing much happens when they snap. The break occurs slowly (relatively speaking) so a lot of the energy is dissipated before the string actually breaks into two. Be more worried about the neck snapping while you're playing (hasn't happened to me but I witnessed such an event last year...I can laugh about it now but it was scary as hell at the time).

so its more like a roundwond where it kind of unravels at first then snaps? i was worried a flatwoud would just snap. but thanks, now i dont have to worry about death from below but from beside
Quote by Mr. T
i broke a D string by popping but it was pretty old. Other than that mine only break when I tune and because i tune way too much. When i play random songs it tends to be in standard and then when i play in the band with my brother it's Eb and then when I play in my metal band it's D tuning and i'm constantly switching between these.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by canadianpunk071

While this is for the most part true, it can snap violently on rare occasions. I've seen pictures of some severe cuts from a broken bass string, and one in person that wasn't quite as bad. Both involved stitches. The picture supposedly 15+, the one I saw in person around 7-10. Not a pretty sight, but luckily its a very rare occurance, and usually accomplished through stupidity.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
While this is for the most part true, it can snap violently on rare occasions. I've seen pictures of some severe cuts from a broken bass string, and one in person that wasn't quite as bad. Both involved stitches. The picture supposedly 15+, the one I saw in person around 7-10. Not a pretty sight, but luckily its a very rare occurance, and usually accomplished through stupidity.

I was waiting for one of those stories to bite me in the ass...to be honest I'd love to get such an injury, how hardcore is that?
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

From what I've seen, you don't. The guy I saw was lucky he still retained full use of his hand when his arm healed. He was damn close to severing the tendons in his arm. Still has a ****ed up scar, but he can still use his hand. Or at least he could/did last time I saw him. Come to think of it its been over 6 months since I last saw him....................I really need to keep in touch with my friends better <<
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I was kidding, but still. That sucks a lot, thank god it wasn't worse. At least he has one hell of a story I suppose.

I've had my share of close calls, several years ago an incident that resulted in my back being severely cut, nearly severed major nerves around my spinal cord. Luckily I hadn't pissed off the gods that day and didn't become a paraplegic. I now have some large scars on my back (great for showing off at the beach ).
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

I still have the stock strings on mine, because I'm waiting until I can afford some new ones. I've never snapped, despite a lot of slap and pop.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I broke my E about 6 months ago and my G about 3, so I went to guitar center and got this awesome deal on strings, buy one pack of strings get 5 free! now i don't worry =)
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
I broke my G string 2 or 3 times in my early years, I think it was when I started slapping, they were DR strings.. never happened again once I had figured out how to slap/pop properly nowadays I use Sadowsky strings, they seem more robust
The only time I have busted a string was on my acoustic When I was playing free bird I decided to play it on the bottom string and it just snapped other than that never snaped my strings.
"Member of the Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join"
Comander of the silly sausage army pm me or KCGIG1 to join!

My gear:

Electric: Mexican Fender stratocaster
Acoustic: navaro
amp: Fender frontman 15G
once in just under three years. and that was when i was using relative tuning, heavily under the influence of alcohol, and had my finger on the wrong fret when tuning the e string. nearly took my eye out, i tell thee.
Quote by myself101
, i still have my stock strings on

i should change them but i was waiting for them to break first but that hasn't happend

haha same here. except mine aren't stock. my fretless came with rounds and i got them to pop on some flats for free. i've been going like 2 years on them. its rediculous.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
I slap and pop sometimes as well as playing with a pick very hard, but i have never snapped a string so far (7 months).
signature
Whoever is snappign strings regularly has bad technique in my opinion. Guitars strings snap like hair, but bass strings...man you gotta be giving it some to snap that ****er, even the G string.
Never have. I still have the stock strings on one of my basses, it's been over a year and I love their tone.

I should probably change them soon.
Only one string broke on my bass through my entire life, and that was because my stupid brother tried to tune it like a guitar when i werent home.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Snapped two string in two years, by pissing about. One of them gave me a nice slap in the face though, because my bass loves me like that
3 years and still not a snapped string (touch wood), mine just wear out really quickly. 2 months and my strings are dead and i take care of them too.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
2 years of playing and still no breakages
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I still have the stock strings on my 5 string. But after about 3 years of playing I have only changed the strings on my first 4 string 4 times! Currently, a set of strings last about 6 months with me. And I play violently! (But I do go for Stainless Steel strings though. (I used to go for nickelwound but those last me AT MOST a month!)

And when I mean violently playing, I mean hitting the string as hard as I can near the bridge with my thumb for a realy thick grouly kindof slap. Aswell as normal finger pickng is out of the quesion. I have to pop the string up about 60% of the time!
Page 1 of 2