Page 1 of 2
well ive played guitar for about 5 years now and ive been taking it alot more seriously in the last 6 months. I play mainly clasic rock and blues and i just want to say that i hate metal and never play it and in my opinion it is music without any feeling, however when i solo in slower songs i want to be able to some times play a realy quick arpejios (like 32th notes), is it worth learning how to sweep pick well since i hate metal, or is it that usefull of a skill to have to put in to some songs, an if so r there any good online lessions, the ones here seem kinda pointless and aimed at ppl with a lower level of skill
Last edited by IclaptonisgodI at Feb 28, 2007,
help does not go to the close-minded or ignorant.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
all i think is that music is more then speed, it important but felling is like 100xs of times more necessary, music is an emotional, musical experience, metal is mainly speed and anger
on insaneguitar.com there is a lesson on how to sweep pick, its really simple and explains it really good

also sweeping is pretty cool, but i dont use it in solos, like switching strings, but it still comes in handy

do learn
dude, have you listened to every metal band out there? I doubt it. how can you say there is not no emotion to metal music?
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
I think you might mean 32nd notes...and yes, Sweep picking or arpeggiating is a great way to slip into a lead or phrase a fill.

Consider David Gilmour as he falls into the solo on Comfortably Numb, bars 25, 27, and 28.
Quote by Lightstorm
I think you might mean 32nd notes...and yes, Sweep picking or arpeggiating is a great way to slip into a lead or phrase a fill.

Consider David Gilmour as he falls into the solo on Comfortably Numb, bars 25, 27, and 28.

ya thats the kind of thing that i think i could use
Quote by IclaptonisgodI
all i think is that music is more then speed, it important but felling is like 100xs of times more necessary, music is an emotional, musical experience, metal is mainly speed and anger

Anger is an emotion. Speed shows talent and it creates intensity to your playing. I agree that some bands do just play a whole lot of nothing, but just listen to fade to black and tell me theres no emotion in that song. Do you think Slash sux cause he plays fast along with many other rock guitarists like clapton.
no i dont think slash suck cause he has more then speed, its not just up and down scales and arpejos is so much more, slash also plays incredably emotional solos such as the knocking on heavens door or dont cry solos, i dont hate speed i just hate speed with out soul
Quote by IclaptonisgodI
no i dont think slash suck cause he has more then speed, its not just up and down scales and arpejos is so much more, slash also plays incredably emotional solos such as the knocking on heavens door or dont cry solos, i dont hate speed i just hate speed with out soul

you are quite ignorant to the metal genre, go listen to more music from it and then come back and say it has no emotion listen to some metallica like fade to black, nothing else matters, their instrumentals all that, even the fastest of solos still have feel in them, for example fermented offal discharge by necrphagist your just not looking past the speed, just because theyre using speed as a tool and not bending every second note doesnt meen that it doesnt have feel,
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

I like your thinking

I hate in when people think they can decide the emotional content of all music in the world

And seem to assume the only way to convey emotion is through slow sorrowful bends

There are other emotions in the world, such as anger or happiness
I'm learning arppegios, but I also wanted to point out that you can express any emotion through any way you want.
Quote by IclaptonisgodI
there is emothion in metal but it all "im angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and u should be to"

wow you obviously haven't really LISTENED to any metal. i can't think of a single band or even song that sends that message.... but whatever. yes, learn sweep picking, i love metal but personally don't think i'll ever use sweep picking but i'm still learning it right now cuz i figure its better to "know it and not need it, than to need it and not know it".
1. Now matter how you look at it, music does not contain any emotion, people just express THEIR emotions (among other things as well) THROUGH music.

2. You obviously haven'y heard all types of metal, and also are obviously ignorent of the things people try to communicate through metal. Therefore, you have no apparent credibility on the subject: thus, STFU n00b.

3. As for sweep picking, it's an incredibly useful technique. Not essential, but useful. It can be applied to many styles such as jazz. Hell, you can even apply sweep picking to classical if your tone is clean.
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
GOD all i said was my opinion and no one had to get angry but the first reply called me ignorant because i had different tastes then them u all look at me lke im a bad person but i just had a different opinion, my first post wasnt all that offensive and i think every one needs to just chill out a little since no ones gunna change any1 elses mind.

ill stop if u do but if u dont ill get some ppl from the CR boards to back me up on this
Quote by IclaptonisgodI
GOD all i said was my opinion and no one had to get angry but the first reply called me ignorant because i had different tastes then them u all look at me lke im a bad person but i just had a different opinion, my first post wasnt all that offensive and i think every one needs to just chill out a little since no ones gunna change any1 elses mind.

ill stop if u do but if u dont ill get some ppl from the CR boards to back me up on this

K i dont want this to turn into a long heated debate, but you did say that metal has no emotion and all people are trying to do is show you that it does. Noones insulting your musical taste, so dont insult theirs. And did you realy think that going to a metalhead website saying metal sux will get you a friendly welcome. So, im gonna end this, all music has emotion and you probably should learn sweep picking because as someone already said "its better to know it and never use it than to not know it and have to use it"
Quote by IclaptonisgodI

Yes because teenagers who think the greatest period of music was before they were born and that all music sucks now are so great for backing you up

Anywho, to actually answer your original topic, have a look in music store in your local area and see if they have any books you can use
Saying metal is full of anger and nothing but speed is a stereo-type. Avoid less of the main stream stuff and you can find metal for almost any emotion.

If your going to be doing a solo slowly I dont reccommend a sweep during that part.
Quote by GiantRaven
Yes because teenagers who think the greatest period of music was before they were born and that all music sucks now are so great for backing you up

Anywho, to actually answer your original topic, have a look in music store in your local area and see if they have any books you can use

omg im trying to let this die i was wrong to insult ur prefernces and im ****in sory u dont have to be a bitch and insult me or my tastes...learnm from my mistakes
Quote by georgeazguitar
Saying metal is full of anger and nothing but speed is a stereo-type. Avoid less of the main stream stuff and you can find metal for almost any emotion.

If your going to be doing a solo slowly I dont reccommend a sweep during that part.

i wouldn't even say that, you can arpeggiate a chord and sweep pick it at slower speeds. but yeah.... the threadstarter has tried to apologize for his ignorance so maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt. now had he said metal was generally about politics/war, love, hate, self question, self empowerment, insanity, bilical themes, drug use, freedom, enslavement or things of this nature. then i would definately had agreed with him. try gpb's 21 day exercise, i'm working it right now, i think i'm on day 5, i'll be doing till the end of next month (i only practice/play about a total of 2 hours a day, so i don't get a ton of time to work on it) however i've already noticed a difference.
lol ... metal music has some of the most amazing solos ever. and if u hate metal i say u shuld not learn sweep picking because you do not respect metal
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by z4twenny
i wouldn't even say that, you can arpeggiate a chord and sweep pick it at slower speeds. but yeah.... the threadstarter has tried to apologize for his ignorance so maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt. now had he said metal was generally about politics/war, love, hate, self question, self empowerment, insanity, bilical themes, drug use, freedom, enslavement or things of this nature. then i would definately had agreed with him. try gpb's 21 day exercise, i'm working it right now, i think i'm on day 5, i'll be doing till the end of next month (i only practice/play about a total of 2 hours a day, so i don't get a ton of time to work on it) however i've already noticed a difference.

what is this pgbs 21 exersise
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

aye, and your sig has probably one of the most emotional metal bands out there, opeth

metal has a lot of emotion, once you get past the mainstream lamb of god type of stuff
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Any technique - sweep picking, economy picking, legato playing, bending, whatever really you name it, is just a technique - and as such, a means to express yourself. It's not true that 'fast solos are just for metal', or 'sweep picking is just for metal' or whatever - you can use pretty much any technique in any genre, it's just a question of creativity. All in all, the more you know and the more you can do, the easier it will be for you to express your ideas through music.

So to put this briefly, of course you should learn it.

As for the question, 'how?'... Take any chord shape you know - 3 strings, 4, 5, 6 - doesn't matter, and arpeggiate it - that's all there is to sweep picking really. If you've been playing for 5 years as you say you have been, you should know plenty of chords to play around with, and the basic sweep picking technique is really nothing difficult. Grab the sweep picking video from Marc Seal we have on UG if you feel you need some pointers, and good luck.

PS. oh and, never ever again say 'metal sucks' :P if you don't like it, that's fine; but don't just scream omgz it's pointless and lame warrr ahrhahrh hrarr raarr, because that just makes you look stupid and makes people hate you
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by z4twenny

hows that goin for you, im only on day 3 and its workin great.

everyone he already said he was sorry, so I really dont see the need to insult him anymore
Quote by metal4eva_22
hows that goin for you, im only on day 3 and its workin great.

everyone he already said he was sorry, so I really dont see the need to insult him anymore

thank you and what is that corse
^ yeah i guess we don't need to insult him

but it's going pretty well for me considering i'm only a couple days in and i don't get to practice as much as i'd like to (and repeated the same couple of riffs over and over and over and over is mind numbing) i can already tell a bit of a difference in my ability. the other day i just played one of the riffs at the fastest comfortable speed i could and it was a bit quicker. the problem i'm having most is sweeping though cuz in my 12 years of playing i never have, so thats going kinda slowly (mainly cuz i'm learning 5 string sweeps and not beginner 3 string sweeps)

GBP's 21 day exercise basically states that you take a skill you're trying to learn (such as sweep picking) and do it at whatever speed you can do it at ACCURATELY, CORRECTLY and CLEANLY (and without tension i'd like to add) do it at that speed for 21 days, do NOT speed it up at all (maybe a little tiny bit if you don't have a metronome but try to keep it the same exact speed) this will train your hands and muscle memory to move in this new way correctly. after 21 days you won't be yngwie with the sweeps but you'll be leaps better than before due to the proper muscle memorization. try this for a hand workout

G-------4-1-------------5-2-------------6-3---------------------------
D-----3-----2---------4-----3---------5-----4-------------------------
A---2---------3-----3---------4-----4---------5-----------------------
E-1-------------4-2-------------5-3-------------6---------------------

and go up the frets like this

i'm also working with this pattern in 10/8 time sig for sweeps

e----------2----------------2---------------7-----------------7---------
B--------3--3-------------3--3-------------8--8--------------8--8--------
G------4------4---------2------2---------7------7----------7------7------
D----4----------4-----4----------4-----5----------5------9----------9----
A--2--------------2-5--------------5-7--------------7-10-------------10-
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

both of these will help hand movement and sweeping (or at least they do for me)
Last edited by z4twenny at Feb 28, 2007,
Quote by IclaptonisgodI
thank you and what is that corse

No problem. and it is practicing a lick over and over at a really slow tempo for about 20 min then taking a break, doing 5 min of it really fast, then doing another 20 min of slow practice and another 5 min of it fast. You do this everyday for aprox 21 days and you will improve alot, trust me. There is a thread on it somewhere if you wanna try looking it up.

Edit: IC you beat me to it .

I like the petrucci exercise

PS your right it is mind numbing, I almolst fell asleep once, but then I did it fast for a second and it woke me up
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Feb 28, 2007,
I tis an important technique. You could easily never have listened to metal and still hear plenty of sweeping. ex Frank Gambale or Holdsworth. As far as it not having emotion, you couldnt transcribe say a Coltrane or Parker solo without having to phrase with sweeps and you cant say they dont show some emotion. Personally the whole emotion and music thing is **** but thats just me.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by z4twenny
^ see i thought it was just playing it really slowly for 21 days to build muscle memory.

You could do it that way, but Cas suggested the short amounts of speed, so im gonna try that first. and it helps me focus and see improvments right away (dam my lack of patience ). He also said something about getting in the mindset of playing fast
^ yeah i totally agree with that, thinking fast that is, so that you are 2 steps ahead and don't shred yourself into a corner.
Actually, the '20 minutes slow playing, 5 minutes fast' goes against the cornerstone principles used in the 'play slow for 21 days'... The point of the slow practice is that you 'teach' your muscle memory the correct pattern without any screw ups; and when you add the fast parts, you'd most likely break away from the pattern set with the slow practice and ruin the effect altogether. (I don't actually agree with the slow principle of practice, though )

imo, nothing beats practicing at a steady pace with a metronome, start out at however slow speed you need to memorize the lick, but the important thing at this point is to be able to play it consistantly and in time without missing any notes - then push the metronome speed higher and higher gradually. At least that's what seems to work best for me.

Or alternatively, start with only playing a small part of the lick or solo you're practicing - a beat, or even half a beat, but play it at a speed of about 10-20% higher than the speed you'd normally play it at, then add a note or two to the passage, gradually building it up in length until you get it all. Use this method as well, usually for shorter things though, and I love it too.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by IclaptonisgodI

But anger is an emotion
Quote by IclaptonisgodI
thankyou for siging that...first time anyones sigged anything i say i feel special

i'm gonna assume you were being sarcastic as this was quoted because i found your statement a bit ignorant and highly amusing and thought i would share wherever i posted
Sweep picking is not only used in metal. In fact, sweep picking has been used in jazz and classical style far before it was popularized in metal.
Page 1 of 2