I have stock strings from an Ibanez grx20. They ain't bad but say i were to upgrade them to some really good ones. Would I notice a difference in the sound at all? Also, what makes strings good? Is nickel the best material for them or steel?
It will make a difference...but barely.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
if you have old strings on your guitar, its noticably dull, but a set of new strings compared to another dont really sound all that different. u should mainly go by feel and what gauge u need accordingly with the tuning u like to play in. i.e. if u drop tune your guitar by a whole step, you should probably get thicker strings or they will be floppy.
Whenever I slap a fresh set of strings on my guitar it sounds noticeably clearer, sharper, and brighter. Nothing you would notice without playing it though.
i think he means when you change strings the difference between a $10 packet and a $50 packet of strings, something i've wondered before while looking at all the different strings they have.
Quote by Jack_Flash
i think he means when you change strings the difference between a $10 packet and a $50 packet of strings, something i've wondered before while looking at all the different strings they have.

it cant be that much different to justify the price while most likely u will have to change them in a month or two.
The only difference is the long-life strings, like Elixers. I've had a set on my PRS for 14 months now and they're not tarnished. If you break strings, though, don't bother getting expensive strings. Strings make the least bit of difference in your tone, IMO, all other things considered. For plain electric strings, Ernie Ball and D'Addario are good options.
Hi, I'm Peter
the ONLY strings ive heard a real noticble difference in is the DR black beauties, they seem alot duller than most other strings, not as much snap
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum