Okay, I am tired of lugging my 412 around. I love using it at shows, but as far as going back and forth from practice to home recording it gets to be too much. I even have to borrow a car to get the cabinet home, since it won't even come close to fitting in my mustang. So, what would be a good CHEAP 212 cabinet good enough for lugging back and forth to practice?
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
That Avatar cab looked nice. I like the speaker, back and visual options available with them. Any other brands?
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
Okay, I am tired of lugging my 412 around. I love using it at shows, but as far as going back and forth from practice to home recording it gets to be too much. I even have to borrow a car to get the cabinet home, since it won't even come close to fitting in my mustang. So, what would be a good CHEAP 212 cabinet good enough for lugging back and forth to practice?

That's why you don't drag cabs to and from practice. You leave your shit at the rehearsal spot and that's that.

But if you absolutely have to have a cab don't get an avatar. Try a marshall 1936.

(avatar are complete piles of shit. I owned one and it was completely useless.)
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
That's why you don't drag cabs to and from practice. You leave your shit at the rehearsal spot and that's that.

But if you absolutely have to have a cab don't get an avatar. Try a marshall 1936.

It would be nice to not have to drag it around, but to record at home I need it. If I can get a 212 worth a shit I can leave that at the practice room, and keep my 412 for recording and shows only. Hell if it sounded good enough I could use it at home for recording only. Either way, it would be nice to have the options.
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
It would be nice to not have to drag it around, but to record at home I need it. If I can get a 212 worth a shit I can leave that at the practice room, and keep my 412 for recording and shows only. Hell if it sounded good enough I could use it at home for recording only. Either way, it would be nice to have the options.

If your gonna spend enough money to get a Marshall 1936, I'd spend an extra hundred or two to get an even nice one from Carr. In short, Carr amps are build by hand, with hospital grade wiring, so basically better quality than the 1936, for only about $200 more. The only down side is because they are hand made, it takes 3-4 months before you can get it. So if you want it now, then I agree with the 1936, its a pretty good choice, but what ever you get if you want quality sound, I recommend buying cabs with brand name speakers like celestiion or eminence.
I said the 1936 because they're a dime a dozen. You can find them ALL OVER the place used and you can easily get one for less than the price of an Avatar.

They're much easier to find than other (decent) manufacturer's 2x12s.

The marshall is a great cab, though. I duno about Carr, but to be entirely honest a bit of wire and being built made-to-order isn't really that big of a deal to me.. considering there's less than like three feet of wire inside the cab and there is nothing wrong with the wire in marshall cabs Also, Marshall cabs come loaded with Celestion speakers as well, I'm pretty sure you can get a wide variety of speakers (v30, g12-75t and greenback) in their 1936 cabs.

Convenience + Quality = no wrong doing. Marshall make great, dependable cabs and have for a LONG time.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I said the 1936 because they're a dime a dozen. You can find them ALL OVER the place used and you can easily get one for less than the price of an Avatar.

They're much easier to find than other (decent) manufacturer's 2x12s.

The marshall is a great cab, though. I duno about Carr, but to be entirely honest a bit of wire and being built made-to-order isn't really that big of a deal to me.. considering there's less than like three feet of wire inside the cab and there is nothing wrong with the wire in marshall cabs Also, Marshall cabs come loaded with Celestion speakers as well, I'm pretty sure you can get a wide variety of speakers (v30, g12-75t and greenback) in their 1936 cabs.

Convenience + Quality = no wrong doing. Marshall make great, dependable cabs and have for a LONG time.

Not saying there is, but you can't half ass it. The weekest link from your strings to your ears is as good as it gets. And yea it does matter because [not saying marshall does] but if you put low gage wiring in its gonna sound crappy and pickup interference. Theres a reason why guitar cables [the ones that go from guitar to amp] are thick.

And as far as hand made, yea it doesn't mean its gonna sound better its just a better quality of construction.

All I was sayin is if your gonna spend that much, might as well spend a little bit more to get a lot great quality.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
Not saying there is, but you can't half ass it. The weekest link from your strings to your ears is as good as it gets. And yea it does matter because [not saying marshall does] but if you put low gage wiring in its gonna sound crappy and pickup interference. Theres a reason why guitar cables [the ones that go from guitar to amp] are thick.

And as far as hand made, yea it doesn't mean its gonna sound better its just a better quality of construction.

All I was sayin is if your gonna spend that much, might as well spend a little bit more to get a lot great quality.

Buying a Marshall cab is far from "Half assing" anything.

You're right about the weakest link being as good as it gets; however Marshall cabinets of this caliber/line are far from sub-par.

They're right in line with other manufacturers like Bogner, Mesa/Boogie etc with their quality of construction and their materials used (ie, plywood made of hardwoods rather than fir or pine, actual hardwood rather than oriented strand board/chip board, name brand/kickass speakers with plenty of options, etc)

Thickness of wire has little to do with noise. That's almost all in the shielding and insulation. That fact aside, I'm not sure exactly what "Hospital Grade Wire" is, but I'm fairly certain that the wire which Marshall used and continues to use is of a decently high standard.

Also, a 1936 cab used is in the range of under $250. I duno about Carr cabs, but I like the idea of being able to call a guy in town and bring over $250 cash and walk away with a quality product (marshall cabs are quality cabs, at least the higher end 4x12s and all of their 2x12/1x12 that I've played) for a good price and have it in my hands now.

I just can't see the 'quality' difference. Its not a Behringer cab, its not a line 6 cab, etc. Its built solidly with the proper parts and it has a good set of speakers in it.. Nothing wrong with a Marshall at all.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

I've actually liked the 4 or 5 avatars I've played.

What was wrong with yours? Just curious .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.