I'm sure most of you have heard of this contest. If not, it is a contest put on by Guitar Center and, obviously, it's all about the blues. You play to a backing track in front of an audience and then get judged. For more info check out http://gckingoftheblues.com/

Anyway, what would you guys reccomend to someone a little new to the blues for inspiration? What scales would you guys reccomend playing in to be "bluesiest?" Pretty much, I was hoping for some all around good advice.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
dude the only bluesy scale is pentatonic with blues note, aka blues scale....

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
I was waiting for that response, lol.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Maybe the mixolydian/blues pentatonic
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
How bout some good blues to listen to. I only know of Buddy Guy, BB King, Eric Clapton, and ZZ Top (Blues Rock)
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Hmmm... blues to listen to... Keb Mo, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley, Little Walter, SRV, and - of course - Robert Johnson are a few.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
1993 US Peavey Predator with Texas Specials
Crate Palomino V16
Boss OD-3
Check out some of Rory Gallaghers stuff to, and as mentioned above.. SRV
Quote by UniverseZero
dude the only bluesy scale is pentatonic with blues note, aka blues scale....

not really, the blues scale (non pentatonic, just a minor scale with a diminished 5th) it's better
Quote by deluxity
not really, the blues scale (non pentatonic, just a minor scale with a diminished 5th) it's better

The Blues Scale is a Minor Pentatonic with a b5 in it. Traditionally at least. Or at least that's what I've heard. Or something.
Isn't there major and minor blues scales?

Deluxity...Are you kidding? If that were true, it'd sound horrible and chromatic.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Check out some old Fleetwood Mac CD's. Despite popular opinion, Fleetwood Mac doesn't begin and end with Stevie Nicks (thank god). Start with "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" and "Mr. Wonderful." Peter Green's guitar work on those albums is nothing short of brilliant.

EDIT: Also, John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers is great stuff. Check out the CD with Eric Clapton.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
Quote by jackson001
How bout some good blues to listen to. I only know of Buddy Guy, BB King, Eric Clapton, and ZZ Top (Blues Rock)

jimi hendrix....NOW!
My gear:
Ibanez jem555, rg320, rg170dx
Ashton gt100 amp
boss me50
Quote by abcdboy
Isn't there major and minor blues scales?

Deluxity...Are you kidding? If that were true, it'd sound horrible and chromatic.

sorry, i got confused

yes, the blues scale is a minor pentatonic scale with a b5

please don't rape me for my mistake
SRV is my very favorite artist...
Having said that...he is too "blues-rock" for traditional blues enthusiasts.

So I would stick with BB King, Albert King, Robert Johnson and such if you are looking for ideas.

Just remember that the blues are not about speed, but about emotion and feeling> See BB King
Quote by TDMize15
SRV is my very favorite artist...
Having said that...he is too "blues-rock" for traditional blues enthusiasts.

So I would stick with BB King, Albert King, Robert Johnson and such if you are looking for ideas.

Just remember that the blues are not about speed, but about emotion and feeling> See BB King

i'm pretty sure Texas flood could impress everyobody in that contest
Go way back and check out some delta blues stuff. Anything written by Blind Lemon Jefferson will work.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I don't do scales, I don't read music. I do tone, And sound, And style. I myself am a blues artist, ( Blues and southern rock. ) And every famous blues man had his own style, Own tone, But did so in a classic sense. What did BB.King and Stevie Ray Vaughan have in common? They had SOUL! Inspiration is key, And I suggest you don't look at music to get it. Alot of people listen to music to be inspired and most of them end up sounding like the artist they were listening to. ( We've all done it, don't say you haven't. ) I can honestly say I sound alike like SRV when I go into solo, But my Rythms sound more like a Reggae funk. Sit down, And play. It's not hard, But it takes a -feel- for it. Listen to some Jazz, Some Classical. Get that swing into your heels and jam like you never have! True, People that have baised their sound and style from certin artists ( SRV being a Key hit. ) Have made it big, But everyone had their own sort of slosh about it all. I play the blues because I love to close my eyes and watch with me ears, You should find your own way to do just that. =D
Quote by justin_fraser
The degrees of the blues scale are 1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 1.

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/blues/index.php

Read this, and you will understand it all, and you will learn an awesome box pattern for the blues scale.

Gave me a good chuckle that I just happened to be practicing that pattern around the fretboard as I read your post.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard