A couple of the guys in a local band have asked me to sit in with them for two weeks while their bassist is in Florida on vacation. Seeing as how I'm just a temporary fill-in, does anyone here have any recommendations for what to do, or not to do, while playing with this band?

Yes, I know that I should make sure that I know all the songs.

They also mentioned the possibility of having me jam with them and their bassist during a show sometime - meaning two basses at once! Any suggestions there? Maybe play a harmonic interval of the other bassline? It's pretty boring just doubling what someone else is doing.

The list of songs that I'm supposed to learn for this are (in no particular order):
  • Animal I Have Become - 3 Days Grace
  • Where the River Flows - Collective Soul
  • Why Part 2 - Collective Soul
  • Remedy - Seether
  • Far Behind - Candlebox
  • Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • Trapped In Your Lies - Godhead
  • Lonely Train - Black Stone Cherry
  • Switch 625 - Def Leppard
  • Savin' Me - Nickelback
  • Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
  • Land of Confusion - Disturbed
  • Hemorrage (In My Hands) - Fuel

I'm going to try to squeeze a bass solo in there, too. They don't currently have space set aside for one . . . . but they will soon, I hope.

Thanks, all.

If I were to sit in with a band for an extended period of time, I would play how they wanted me to play. Especially if you are being paid. It's not my band so I'm not going to pretend like it is. As for the jamming part, you'll know more when you get together with them. Have fun with it.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Heh. Advice for myself in the future: Make sure I've got the dates right.

I thought the guy I was filling in for was leaving next week. No. He left yesterday, and I had to have all those songs ready for tonight. I'd been putting it off, working on other projects, thinking I'd buckle down over the next week and get 'em all down pat.

Wrong-o.

I crammed for about three hours today, warmed up with the band for an hour, and then we played for about two more. That's six hours in one day. My knees are screaming at me, the tendons in my arms are still throbbing, and my ears are ringing loudy. But we rocked.

I love this feeling.