My friends and I have finally gotten around to starting up a band, and this time we're actually making progress
We plan to start playing local shows and venues (probably legion halls and skateparks) in the next few months. However the amp I have now was from my little brother's Radioshack guitar bundle, and you can tell. It has an awful sound and I really need something better.

I have 300-400 dollars I've saved and am wondering if a used combo amp would be loud enough to play live until I can save for a half stack.

I play mostly metal (metallica, trivium, iron maiden). Anybody have any advice/recommendations?
Maybe a Roland cube 60
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
No, you don't need a half stack to play shows.

However generally speaking most modern tones are all coming from heads and cabs, which directly translates to buying a half stack for most people

A combo amp will suffice but it would be hard getting a decent tube combo for $300.
I've got a Randall RG200 something or other combo that's a 200 wat 2X12 and it's plenty big for any gig I might play. I bought it a year and a half ago, I think it cost somewhere around $430.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Combo is loud enough....

Half stacks aren't neccessary.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
No you don't... it's all looks. I have a half stack now and the bitch is so ****ing ANNOYING to set up and haul around... next amp is going to be a wonderful combo.

Bitches can EAT IT if they think it looks bad or something.
Quote by Bristlehead
No you don't... it's all looks. I have a half stack now and the bitch is so ****ing ANNOYING to set up and haul around... next amp is going to be a wonderful combo.

Bitches can EAT IT if they think it looks bad or something.

Combos with more than 1 speaker are harder to haul around than a separate head and cab IMO. My peavey classic 410 is a bitch to move around
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
It is not necessary at all to have a half stack for shows! But it does have it's advantages/disadvantages.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
I have a Music Man 50RD Head [hybrid with 2x6L6 power tubes], hooked up to a 2x12 cab with Cannibus Rex Speakers, and IMO I think its pretty damn loud for it's size, though I've never directly compared it to a half stack. But like the others said, more than one speakers is a def. You might be able to go with the 2x12's like I said, but you could just do I like did, get a head and a 2x12 cab, and then you could step up to the full 4x12 later or just buy another half stack.

Besides, if you go tube, a lower wattage tube cranked is going to sound better than a higher wattage tube at 50%.
To me the idea of getting a 200W stack is ridiculous, because the venue will probably mic up the amp anyway, so theres no point in having it extremely loud.

If I had the cash, I'd rather buy a nice Tube Combo with a 12" celestian or something.

Better yet, you could just plug straight into the mixer (via DI), and use a foldback :P
I go for the quarter stack.. just a head and 2x12... its all the flexibility of a stack, but in a less 'too much' size.
You know, half stacks are nicer for band practice than they are for actual gigs. it helps being heard over drums and other guitarist. Gig-wise, it doesn't really matter. So what if you can get miced? You can mic your half stack, too. You don't need the volume necessarily but you could use the extra features and functions that are on heads which can't be found on combos (if you have an amp they don't make a combo version of)

Everyone here whines about setting up an amp.. damn, plug in one cable oh shit its the END of the world. One more cable is terribly hard to plug in. You have to move your arm TWO extra times, despite the fact that you're about to play guitar in front of a crowd of people and move your arm for 45+ minutes straight.

I can haul around my 4x12 cab by myself (up/down stairs) and I'm by no means a big guy at all (5'6" 150lbs?) so there goes that theory.

They aren't that much louder than a 2x12 combo, either. Its only minus two speakers.

When comparing a 50w 2x12 combo to a 50w half stack there's pretty much no difference other than the fact that a half stack is easier to move and it has two speakers more.. Which with some cabs is completely invalid because they are able to be split into individual 2x12 cabs in the same box.

So basically there isn't a disadvantage to a half stack other than size but lets face it- if you're in a band and you can't move a 4x12 cab something is wrong. SOMEONE has to have room for it. Hell, I can fit my 4x12 into the trunk of my Saab, which is a 4 door w/ a L4 engine (straight 4) and gets about 30mpg.

Everyone who says half stacks aren't necessary are just whining because they don't have one, can't afford one, or can't move one.

Some people feel its unnecessary but seriously they have no valid reason for it other than its not what THEY need, rather than what other people need. Since when is it right to push YOUR beliefs and preferences on to other people?
^

It was just a suggestion.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah yeah yeah.

I just own three half stacks and I can't see why people would say something like that. I could understand the greatness, I don't doubt that combos are good, but to have a thread full of people saying half stacks are useless.. they've gotta be out of their mind.

Maybe its just the retarded stuff some (not you, not pointing any fingers either. In general) people perpetuate on the internet. IE, you need half stacks for gigs. Or that if its a good venue they'll just mic your amp and you don't need a half stack.

Well, some people like the tone that comes out of those half stacks. That's why they own them. So why should they buy a combo if they like a half stack and its perfectly within reason? I mean, half stacks don't even really take up any more floor space, just an extra 3 feet vertically... there isn't much of an argument for/against them.. I was basically just playing with the other side of the argument..
^Yeah, I can see where you're coming from...

I guess I shouldn't have said they were "pointless"..considering they do give out a different tone cranked than combo; some need em', some don't (In my case, I really don't need a half stack.).

But just saying, considering he only has 400 bucks and he wants a good amp...thinking of getting a half stack for that price is just rediculous. But like I said, I shouldn't have said half stacks are not "neccessary".

Actually...my statement is starting to sound even more idiotic now....I was planning on buying a 1x12 or a 2x12 for my rocker 30.

But I do agree with you saying that you're tired of people saying things like "lulz, half st@k is 4 large venuze onlyz." While others are saying, "Comboz aren't enuf".

Meh.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Well yeah, I agree. my first post was saying just that "You don't need a half stack and you could get a combo in that range" was about it.

I just had to come back and crack the whip and startle the heard (of sheep, that is) that decided to post hatin' on the four-one-two cabs.

PS: EHX Reverb are the kickers of all ass. I wish I never sold my holier grail to that blind kid
^

Cheers dude.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Having a half-stack is pretty versatile. Having the head separate from the cab is actually pretty useful.

That being said, you don't NEED one, but whatever.
^BTW, how heavy are cabs, anyway?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Cabs arn't normally that heavy (my friends marshal 60 cab isnt anyway)

His head was much heavier.
What is it about half stacks that make them sound different than combos? Let's say you have a XXX half stack, or a triple XXX combo with a plug in for a cab, you plug the combo into the cab, would it still sound different? If so, why?
I've heard that it's alot about preference. These guys at a shop told me to get a half stack because they liked the overall tone it gave when it was cranked more than a combo...

I'm EVENTUALLY getting a cab for my combo, but not anytime soon...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
A well built 4x12 should weigh in around 90lbs

A head is usually around 40-60.

As far as half stack/combo differences

Usually the poweramps for combos are wired up differently (lower) to make up for the lack of extra speakers.

So even if you plug a combo in to a cab you're still using a slightly different power amp section.

Like if you used a Triple XXX EFX 40 vs a Triple XXX head. Although, you can get a triple xxx combo which is the same wattage as the head. In that case its virtually the same.