Howdy! A while ago, I (justifiably...) insulted this guys playing. I only did it because he was banging his head (not even in rythm with the song, I might add! ^_^) obnoxiously and the body movements he made were just arrogant, and I felt the need to put him in his place (not my place I suppose, but I think it's arrogant to ruin a Bach song, make absurd body movements, and then ask for praise). Anywho, I felt bad later for this, and we spoke some, and I ended up left with a respect for his talents (he was actually a shredder of sorts, another Yngwie knockoff with half the class and talent. I think he has class... ), and he explained how he has "perfect pitch"; that he never practiced music theory, but learned many scales simply by picking apart pleasing melodies and picking out the notes that sounded good, forming a scale. This formented an idea within me...

I can't shred, I've never practiced, and unlike this fellow who has never practiced himself, I can't play music by Yngwie (which is sad, since some of us can play difficult Yngwie without ever practicing ), but I did learn to alternate and tremolo pick, and while my accuracy, speed and endurance is not ideal, I can handle Misirlou alright, and many Cradle of Filth songs and what have you. Anywho, I've spent all my time on the guitar either jamming to music, improvising, or, rarely, learning someones music. In doing this, I've learned some tricks. For example, after learning Misirlou by Dick Dale, I found I could improvise a lead that sounded exotic. I've honed this skill to the point that I can play a sad exotic sounding lead, a badass sounding exotic lead, and a medieval sounding lead. I've learned to solo in a saddish style where I skip many of the notes of the Pentatonic (the only scale I learned), as well as bluesy styles (the 13th note was pretty obvious after listening to some SRV...), and many other styles, where my leads are distinctly different from the standard pentatonic shape that always leads me to a bluesy bent. Anywho, I was quietly picking my acoustic, and I was thinking about this, and I decided to pick out one of the "scales" I used for a sad, somewhat exotic sound, and I decided to tab it out quickly and come to you: have I discovered scales on my own, or am I just a fool? I'd like to think that I discovered a scale/s on my own, as that would be a much needed confidence boost. On the other hand, if I had, I can't imagine this is something that could be concidered remotely difficult. Anywho, thanks for your time, I apologize for the longwinded nature of this post... here's the scale!

el---------------------578
bl-----------------578---
gl-------------457------
dl---------457---------
al------67------------
el-578--------------

el-------------------------------------------121415-
bl---------------------------------101213-------
gl-------------------------91112-------------
dl-----------------91012------------------
al--------91012-----------------------
el-1112----------------------------

el--------------------------------------------1415-
bl--------------------------------------1617-----
gl-------------------------------1617---------
dl---------------------141617-------------
al-----------121415-------------------
el-111214-------------------------
Last edited by oddling8 at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by oddling8
Howdy! A while ago, I (justifiably...) I decided to pick out one of the "scales" I used for a sad, somewhat exotic sound, and I decided to tab it out quickly and come to you: have I discovered scales on my own, or am I just a fool? I'd like to think that I discovered a scale/s on my own, as that would be a much needed confidence boost. On the other hand, if I had, I can't imagine this is something that could be concidered remotely difficult. Anywho, thanks for your time, I apologize for the longwinded nature of this post... here's the scale!

el---------------------578
bl-----------------578---
gl-------------457------
dl---------457---------
al------67------------
el-578--------------

Although you do describe it well - (sad - minor, exotic - tritone)

It isn't a new scale. It is the Dorian mode (II of the major) with a tritone.

EDIT: To the guy above me, you are correct but seeing as he starts on A, i assume he means its key of A. Although yes, A Dorian and E Aeolian are the same thing, and the tritone of A is the Harmonic note (#7) of E. So either work. But the scale has both D and D#, so it's like the Aeolian with the the #7 added, or the Dorian with the tritone added.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Last edited by RPotts at Feb 27, 2007,
^THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH! I wasn't saying it was a "new" scale; I am no so ignorant to think I've found a new scale that sounds good. I was trying to find out if I had discovered a known scale on my own: you have confirmed this, and I now am exceedingly happy! THANK YOU YOU SILLY LITTLE BITCHES. YAY!!!!!!! XD

EDIT: Why isn't "bitches" asteriskedded?
Last edited by oddling8 at Feb 27, 2007,
That scale is called: "Altered" apparently lol. Need any others? Find them our yourself: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/reverse_scales.php

These are all the notes of the one you wanted:

e-----------5---7-8---10----12----14-15----17-19-20-------
B-0-1---3---5---7-8---10----12-13-------16-17----------22-
G-----2---4-5---7---9----11-12----14----16-17-------------
D-0-------4-5---7---9-10----12----14----16-17-19----21-22-
A-0---2-3---5-6-7---9-10----12----14-15-------------------
E-----------5---7-8---10-11-12----14-------17-19-20-------

There ya go

Or you could be non technical and say it is the one or the other above me lol. its up to you hahaha.
Last edited by YourMessiah666 at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by oddling8

EDIT: Why isn't "bitches" asteriskedded?

I think bitch is, but bitches isn't.

EDIT: Well apparently I am wrong.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

Quote by RPotts
Although you do describe it well - (sad - minor, exotic - tritone)

EDIT: To the guy above me, you are correct but seeing as he starts on A, i assume he means its key of A. Although yes, A Dorian and E Aeolian are the same thing, and the tritone of A is the Harmonic note (#7) of E. So either work. But the scale has both D and D#, so it's like the Aeolian with the the #7 added, or the Dorian with the tritone added.

you are right i didnt see there was also a D with a D#.
I don't even know what a key is. Actually I do, sort of, I just can't tell you what any particular song is in. Yeah. Thanks!
top looks like A mixolydian with sharpened 4th if that makes sense didnt look at the others
umm... It looks like a Dorian in the key of a.... with a sharp fourth... would that make it a Dorian+Lydian then?
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by Kunundrum
umm... It looks like a Dorian in the key of a.... with a sharp fourth... would that make it a Dorian+Lydian then?

Or Dorian plus Tritone because he plays the whole dorian in the upper register.

el--------------------------578-
bl--------------------578-----
gl----------------457*---------
dl------------457--------------
al------(5)67---------------
el-578----------------------

because the D is played up next to the star

Last edited by RPotts at Feb 28, 2007,