yes, but it depends of two things,

A. A new pickguard (cutting the current one is too much work

B. Humbucker Routing in the wood.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Yes.

Open up your strat, most of them are routed for a H-S-H anyway, so all you need to do is replace the pickguard. If it isn't, well then you need to do some handwork. But it can deffinately be done.

~Dan
Rout the bridge pickup cavity for a humbucker.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by UniverseZero
yes, but it depends of two things,

A. A new pickguard (cutting the current one is too much work

B. Humbucker Routing in the wood.

I would suggest buying a new pickguard, but cutting one isn't too much work. I cut my pickguard to allow room for a humbucker and it turned out fine.
Quote by Peeno
I would suggest buying a new pickguard, but cutting one isn't too much work. I cut my pickguard to allow room for a humbucker and it turned out fine.

Yeah same here. I looked on E-bay for a lefty H-S-S pickguard and at that time there was only one and it was in Canada, so I just did it myself. Not too hard, but not cosmetically perfect.
I have done this to my stratocaster. Just take your pickguard off first, and make sure that the wood underneath has been cut to accept the dual slot humbucker (my was already cut to accept it). It's then as easy as getting a new pickguard, wiring up your pickups and putting it all back together. Note you may need to drill some new holes for the pickguard as they do seem to vary a little.
The easiest thing to do would be to get a single coil sized humbucker. Sounds exactly the same, and all you have change is the wiring.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
yes a single slot humbucker is another option, i was running a seymour duncan hot rails in mine before i installed my emg S S 81 setup
Urgh, single-sized hums definitely do not sound the same as full-sized hums IMO. Most of them have ceramic magnets, which ruins the chance of you having decent cleans. If your guitar is already routed for a 'bucker, I say go for it.
I've dremelled a pickguard to fit a 'bucker before, it wasn't too much work and it turned out fine.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I wouldn't do it myself. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I'd hire someone else to do it less I **** up the guitar completely.
Quote by Symphonic Waves
I wouldn't do it myself. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I'd hire someone else to do it less I **** up the guitar completely.

It's pretty hard to fuck up a guitar completely. If you go the bought pickguard route and you've got the necessary routes, there are a lot of people on here who can talk you through it step by step and help you fix any problems if they occur. Not only are you saving a LOT of money (at least $50 if not a lot more), you're gaining experience about how your guitar works which is good knowledge to have. I for one would be glad to help out
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Urgh, single-sized hums definitely do not sound the same as full-sized hums IMO.

I agree. Changing the bobbins size and how you wrap the wire changes the inductance, I believe, so it sound a bit different. Remember P-90's, people?

Anyway, when you get the guitar you want, I'd check the under neath the pickguard. It MAY be routed for a humbucker in the bridge already. If not, pull out your router, it ain't too hard.
I do have a question on this. I know guitars with humbuckers often run different pots to what you'd find in say an SSS guitar. Does that fat strat have the same impedance on it's pots as the SSS? Is there any reason to change the pots along with the pickups?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Well, according to guitarelectronics.com, Fender uses a 500K pot and 2 1M no-load pots for their American Deluxe Fat Strat. In their normal Deluxe Fat Strat, or perhaps a different model, they use 1 600K for volume, and two 250K for tone. Which makes sense, since in a Strat, most often, the bridge is wire without a tone control. The 500K would brighten the single coil pickups a bit, though. And a 250K pot with a HB with warm it up a bit.
All in all, anything goes, though. You can wire it any way you like.
single coil humbuckers sound a bit cold to me, and where is the fun in putting one in?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I wanted a Fender HSS until I realized I'd play it left handed, and they don't have them avaliable. It's not for the fun of tinkering around, just a way to get the guitar I wanted in the first place.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I agree. Changing the bobbins size and how you wrap the wire changes the inductance, I believe, so it sound a bit different. Remember P-90's, people?

Yeah, but given the vast range of full size humbuckers, how different is different? It's still just another (albeit more compact) humbucker.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
just do it mate, i've been playing for 14 years (on and off mind you so I still suck a bit as I picked it back up only a few months ago), and till the last 3 months I never even thought of changing pickups and wiring etc... just take your pickguard off and look if the bridge is routed for a dual sized humbucker, my strat was, and if it is get a scratchplate that is premade for HSS and just do it. I was a little hesitant at first too but now i've done it i can't understand what i was worried about. If you need help while doing it just post up here and i'll help as much as many other fellow guitarists here will help, you'll be fine.