Poll: Which gauge do you use?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which gauge do you use?
Medium (45(or 50)-105)
51 57%
Medlight (40(or45)-100)
24 27%
Light or heavy
15 17%
Voters: 90.
Page 1 of 2
Hey fellas, long time no see. I've procured several dvd's of live performances of various bands/musicians where bass plays/is a key part.
And only recently have i noticed, that about 90% of pro bassists out there use thin strings. Not only that, but I see that their action is rediculously low, too! How do they manage to avoid fretbuzz - is beyond me. Maybe they fret with the subtlest of touches...

So, let's talk about gauge. I'm thinking about switching from medium to med-light, of even light... What about you guys?
I play Dean Markely Blue Steel Medium Lights, which are a 45-105 gauge, as opposed to the 45-100 you have for medium light

I also have a very low action on my Schecter. its all about having a low action without getting too close. Its a very delicate balance, but mine is perfect. I still occasionally get fret buzz, but mostly from sloppy fretting, rather than any action/gauge problems. Still, practice is what lets you avoid it, not a magic number or distance.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
true, but you can get it that low and practice will help you. there is a point at which nthing wills top it, but with practice you can overcome fret buzz that a less skilled bassit would be unable to avoid.

sleep time now. my spelling and grammar sucked in that and I don't feel like fixing it.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Well I prefer heavier strings. I started out on 40-100, and now I use D'Addario 50-135 on my SR505. I dunno abt other brands coz the shops near me only stock D'Addarios. Sure it screws up the finger in the start, but when u get used to it, its great. And then on live sets or recordings, u can step down to 40-120, and it really makes it fun & much easier to play since ur fingers are much stronger. Besides, as Eric Clapton said, "Others use Marshalls and stuff to get heavier sound. These are pussy ways. I use heavier strings."
Personally I prefer 55-110 on my four string, and on my 5 string I just stick with the standard 45-130. I can't imagine anything higher than 145, although if someone can find a set with a low B above that, tell me. I love the feel of thick strings.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I play medium, but am thinking of moving down to medium-light. No reason why, just fancy it. Not much more to say really. I only play mediums because my first bass came with them and i have stuck with them, but recently played a bass with medium-light and quite liked the feel and the tone.. of course, they will be Elixirs..
For most of the strings I go as thick as I can get... can't remember the gauge, the showkeeper knows exactly what strings I use and just throws them at me when I enter the shop, so I've forgotten the exact gauges (I get the strings seperately, I'm weird like that... I usually have a really thin (40) on my high G, but use a low B string on one of my 4 strings, after filing out the nut a bit and some major string length adjusting, and have that 4 in BEDG, or sometimes BADG, depending on which Tool song I fancy playing).

My 5 string has 55-145, cos I downtune to F# B F# B E, and it's just nicer to have thicker gauge strings, keeps the tension there.

My other 4 has 55-105, and my 6 string has... I dunno what it has, still using the stock strings, lol
My one bass has 45 - 100, the other 45 - 105. Prefer the lighter strings on the playability side.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Personally I prefer 55-110 on my four string, and on my 5 string I just stick with the standard 45-130. I can't imagine anything higher than 145, although if someone can find a set with a low B above that, tell me. I love the feel of thick strings.

Check out the new Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord... a .175 Low F# on a 4 sting tuned F# B E A
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I use medium strings, just prefer them, too light and i dunno why but i just cant play as well, they seem too floppy.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
both my basses use 45 - 105 gauge

my squier still uses the stock fender strings and my marlin uses rotosounds which i prefer so much
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I don't like the sound I get when I try lights. They don't seem to have the "umph" of heavier strings, and I don't like the way the lower strings feel slack, even in standard tuning.

That said, I like the balance of hybrids, so I'm an awkward sod and use those.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I like my setup weird! I like low action because I like a subtle fret buzz in my sound! It gives a fretless kind of sound while keeping all the rich highs from a fretted!

And gauge wise, the thicker the better! I can never understand why people who play Slap Bass like light strings! Slapping sounds like crap on light gauge strings! I can NOT slap on the D string on lighter gauge strings! But on my current set (45-105 on a standard long scale) I can actually slap decently! As well as thick strings just sound thicker!

I want heavier strings though, I am really just afraid of buying a 75$ set of strings every month....
Light strings just don't 'snap' like I like them to (i.e. they move with my fingers too much).

On my 5'er I use 135, 105, 85, 70, 50, and on my 4-string I use 125, 110, 90, 70.

PS what the hell kind of strings are $75?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Where the hell do you get 70-125 for a 4 string? I NEED to know these things! D:

Also, Bass strings can get really damn expensive! They were quite over priced in my opinion, but still, most of the thicker sets I see can go upwards of 60-75$. (especially for 5 and 6 strings)

But meh, here stuff is overpriced. My first set of Rotosound medium gauge longscale strings were 50$ here...
My ideal string would be around 35-105 but with some odd gauges in between because I like them with a skinny top and heavy bottom as I like to be able to bend the lighter strings more easily.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
My 4-string is tuned BEAD

I actually bought a set off ebay for $11. They were stainless steel Fenders, apparently custom strings made for the Deftones (that's what it says on the pack).

It was actually a 5-string set. The set was 145 125 110 90 70. The 125 fit the nut of my Warwick better, so I used that instead of my 145. If I get a set of Rotosound RS66LE (110-50), I'll put the .145 on my Fender (the strings have red silked ends like Rotos).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
yeah, I tried tuning them to E... DON'T DO IT. It pulls up the neck till there is about, oh, 1 and a half inches of action at the 12th fret. It's really damaging to the bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
*sigh* I want strings THAT thick though.. Oh whell.. I jsut need to make a short Graphite neck with a dual truss rod setup and a ton of siffening rods...

Plus, isn't that the standard action on most Basses anyway? :P
On my SR500 I still have the stock strings, which I'm guessing is 45-100, and the action is pretty low. It has a rattly sorta sound to it, I find.
Quote by Fast_Bear
*sigh* I want strings THAT thick though.. Oh whell.. I jsut need to make a short Graphite neck with a dual truss rod setup and a ton of siffening rods...

Plus, isn't that the standard action on most Basses anyway? :P

Yeah, it's about 3/4 of an inch that went to over 1 and a half... and that was on my Fender with Graphite support!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i use EB super slinkys 45-100 and ive never tried anything esle lol.Wat is the thickest gauge for a 4 string and how much do they cost?Could some1 put a link to some or something.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
I use Ernie Ball strings. I believe it's the Power Slinky ones. They're .45, .65, .85, .105. I'll probably buy the same kind as soon as I need new strings again. They're great.
I personally don't like light guages because I like my tension.

I use RotoSound 66s (35 45 65 80 105 130) on my Ibanez SR506 and RotoSound 77s (50 75 95 110 ) on my Squier Affinity P-Bass.
Bass is my life.
I'm a fan of medlight strings myself, I have medium strings on my 4-string now, and I find there's too much low end and not enough highs.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
this afternoon i posted in the thread about breaking bass strings and about 2hours later i broke my first string. so i'm in need of some new strings.

this will be the first time i have needed to buy new strings (i've just been using the ones that came with the bass) so i have no isea on what to buy.

I play alot of chili pepper's music (hard and fast popping) but also play deep mellow toned grooves.

which of these bass strings are going to suite me?

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGER&bit=products&product_id=170145&cart_id=1C3A108E-534F-4353-A1DD8428B6A0D2C4
Gete the GHS Flea sets. They'll be good from what I heard.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Are you serious? This was bumped FOR THAT! GTFO.

This wasn't a bump as much as a raising of the dead....!
Oh ****. I didn't read the date of the post. Sorry
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Im impressed you found it buried among the ruins...! Excellent use of the search button!
Page 1 of 2