Might as well give this a shot. Anyone good with Calc? I have 2 problems I'm not sure how to do in a big list.

lim cost(theta)-1 / lim sin(theta)
theta -> 0

right off the bat you can see it will be 0/0, which makes me think theres more to it, the whole list of problems is somewhat complex, then this.

annnnd:

lim sin^2 3t / t^2 (variable t, not theta)
t->0

I'm stumped, any advice would be great.
Sorry dude. I did this stuff a long time ago and i forget the different rules applied to theta.

All i can see is that the negative 1 will invert the divide to make it a multiply and the ^2 can be factored out somehow. I really don't know what im on about...
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
as far as i can tell both are undefined but i'm flying by the seat of my pants here so don't take my word for it. you could also try l'Hospital's Rule but i don't remember if it applys here. i took ap calc my junior year in high school so it's been a while. sorry i couldn't be more help.
Well, at least it's reassuring others forget easily, as I can't remember anything from pre-calc 2 years ago, hah.
L'Hospital's rule is right because if you plug in 0 they both reduce to 0/0 (also works when it reduces to infinity/infinity). Take the derivative of of both the numerator and the denominator (separately) and then try it again. For the first one, after taking the derivatives it is -sin(theta)/cos(theta) = -tan(theta). -tan(0) = 0 so the answer to the first one is 0. Do the same thing for the second function, except you have to repeat the process twice. sin^2(3t)/t^2 --> 6sin3tcos3t/2t --> ( -18sin^2(3t) + 18cos^2(3t) ) / 2, plug in 0 for t and you get 9. Hope that helps
Well im not soo gud at it either dude...but for da first one da answer's -1...lol...im not really sure tho...if u want da workin and stuff...here it is...i think its wrong but hey i tried...lol...

lim cos(theta) - 1
theta -> 0 ------------------
sin(theta)

lim cos^2(theta) - 1^2
theta -> 0 ------------------------- *squaring both sides
sin^2(theta)

lim cos^2(theta) - 1
theta -> 0 ---------------------
sin^2(theta)

lim - sin^2(theta)
theta -> 0 ----------------- *Trig identity cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta) = 1
sin^2(theta)

lim -1
theta -> 0

I dunno bout da second one...i forgot da identity for dat one and i dont hav my AP Calc book...lol...sorry...but if u hav anymore questions, feel free to ask and imma try to help....
OK da last one sucked...it wrapped automatically...and i dont think its very comprehendible so im tryna correct it now...if u still cant understand...pls lemme knw and i'll attach it or sumthin...
lim cos(theta)-         1 
                  lim  _________
                     sin(theta)

theta -> 0 

Is that supposed to be CosT Theta???
and Theta tends to 0 it is not 0

Is his Diffretiation cos If it is I can do it

Is thats how its supposed to be Laid out

then the Answer is

Theta 1
_____ - _____
1 Theta

Theta^2 - 1

Answer is

Theta - 1
Last edited by dazzler16 at Feb 28, 2007,
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! Everything posted helps alot, I should be good to go now, thanks again