Anyone know what equipment Flea used when he recorded bass for the album "De-Loused in the Comatorium" by Mars Volta? I really love the bass sound on that album.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Fat Strat
Marshall Valvestate 65 watt

MySpace
Last.fm
i believe he used a '64 fender precision P bass through an SVT head
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Last edited by FunkasPuck at Feb 28, 2007,
i know fo sure that televators has a double bass, in it but you should probably try
this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea_%28musician%29#Equipment
thats all i can say.
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
Thanks for the info, it does sound very beefy like a P-Bass.

It doesn't say anything about the specific equipment he used on De-Loused on that Wikipedia page
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Fat Strat
Marshall Valvestate 65 watt

MySpace
Last.fm
well i know that omar wanted him to play a fender...and the album he recorded most recently after deloused was stadium arcadium and he used a jazz bass on that

so a fender jazz bass seems logical there
http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_mars_volta/

i knew id seen it confirmed somewhere.

For the bass, we had Flea play a beautiful '64 Fender Precision P bass through an SVT bass head and 8×10 cabinet. I used a Neumann FET 47 on the cabinet and a Demeter DI. I compressed with LA-2As on both channels. It was a slightly different sound for Flea, but he is such a talented musician that he fit in perfectly. The bass needed to be full and present, because, essentially, the bass was the foundation of every track
And I also heard that he used a pick on almost all the tracks on that album. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but it did seem to be a bit of a departure from Flea's signature sound.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
yeah, but the mars volta seems to be Omars baby, and he was totally in charge of the overall sound.

i heard he didnt even tell the other musicians the context in which they were recording. just gave them their parts and told them to play.
Quote by FunkasPuck
yeah, but the mars volta seems to be Omars baby, and he was totally in charge of the overall sound.

i heard he didnt even tell the other musicians the context in which they were recording. just gave them their parts and told them to play.

+1 That's very true. In fact, not only did he do that on Amputechture but all the musicians were only given one take in which to record thier seperate parts. A hard taskmaster, that man ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Whoa, I thought Flea just played trumpet for the Mars Volta, and Juan Alderete played bass.....................cool.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
^I was thinking about that too, but I think that's on later albums. Frusciante also plays with them a lot because TMV and RHCP are good buds apparently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcQP7YDX3U

the first 3 minutes are pretty shit. waaaaaayyyy too atonal for my liking, really doesnt do omar justice as a player. .
when they get down to it though they are on fire. they are so tight, they must play together a lot.

from about 4 and a half minutes onwards is friggen quality
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
^I was thinking about that too, but I think that's on later albums. Frusciante also plays with them a lot because TMV and RHCP are good buds apparently.

Flea only recorded bass on their first album, never played live and was never actually the bassist for TMV.
Although Flea John and Omar jammed on October.... 15th? 2005. I have the video somewhere. its also on google video. It was a nifty weird jam.

But TMV suck live, I saw them 3 times, and vow to not give them anymore of my money even if I loved their first 2 albums. I hated amputechture and was discouraged by their horrid live performance.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan

Although Flea John and Omar jammed on October.... 15th? 2005. I have the video somewhere. its also on google video. It was a nifty weird jam.

One step ahead of ya.
check my last post.