so, im looking at getting a gnx3 (rather then a few pedals) when i go get a guitar and amp (epi lp standard and roland cube for those who are interested). But when i tried it out the overdrive seemed to be...lacking (i I like the tone from the drive settings, but the drive doesnt seem...big enough). Is there a way to get the OD to sound better on the pedal, or should i adjust the gain on the amp to give the clean a bit of a crunch in hopes of a better distortion? Would doing something like putting a tube screamer after the GNX3 give the distortion a better tone?
Any help would be fantastic.
Multi FX always have mediocre distortion settings, and you won't be able to use any outboard distortion with the amps distortion models without getting a shitload of noise. Modelling amps work differently to conventional amps so you can't boost the signal, all you end up doing is overloading the input and giving the digital processor a corrupted signal. Adding a tubescreamer is unlikely to help - it won't make a crappy distortion sound any better, but it also won't work on your amps distortion models.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Epi LP stock pickups are horrible and even with a good pedal they sounded bad for me, I replaced with a highout pickup and it changed everything. I hear good things about cubes so I dont think that's it. When I use pedals I use a flat tone with everything at 5 so the pedal is doing everything. Im told Multi-effects processors are usually kinda gimped sounding but they're an "everything in one" type deal. I might be just saying stuff you already know XD but maybe It'll help
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
ive heard that, but ive also heard some of the patces on the digitech website and the distortion sounds fine on those. maybe i should just look at those parameters...hm...well i feel kind of stupid just realizing this now. Also, stevenseagul, the stock pickups sound fine to me (then again, replacing them would be costly b.c i dont know how/trust myself to replace the pickups, i dont really have any money right now except for the money im gonna spend on the guitar, amp and fx board itself).
Pickups are a funny thing, but it usually takes a good few years before you can really appreciate the difference they make. Epiphone's stocks aren't the best, but don't think you have to change them just because everyone else is harping on about it. Half of the players on UG just do it so they can boast about it in the playground, many professional guitarists will happiy play with stock pickups.

As far as the clips on the websites go, sound clips always sound good on websites but they're no guarantee of how something will sound with YOUR guitar and YOUR amp.

Depending on the kind of sound you want and what you want to play it might be best to forget about the FX unit and put the money towards a better amp. They're fun for a few months, but chances are you'll only end up using a fraction of what it can do in which case it's a bit redundant. The cube itself has a few onboard fx that should be plenty to be getting on with - but remember that effects don't actually help you play any better, and to be honest they can be a distraction and hold back your playing if you rely on them too much.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ive thought about putting the money towards a better amp, though im not sure what amp i would go for. Is there anything you would recomend (possibly one of the cheaper marshalls with fx, or just a higher voltage cube?) the stuff i play is, for the most part the ramones, afi (mostly art of drowning and sing the sorrow) coheed and cambria, some placebo, a bit of the decemberists, a couple of assorted metalcore bands (atreyu, a7x, from autumn to ashes etc) and obviously i write some of my own stuff. Im going to try out anything suggested before considering buying it but one of the bigest perks of the gnx3 was that it could record and, while even if i get a really nice combo, ill still want to replace it in a year or two for something with higher wattage and hopefully, some tubes.