hey all, well I'm looking to buy new gear soon. I want cover all of mayer's albums room for sqaures, heavier things, try, and continuum on my mexican fender strat. But it will be for home use.. no gigs yet.. well maybe. I don't have an acoustic right now.. but I am planning to buy one soon. So I need a amp that can do that job.. it has to cover pop, rock, blues with ease. and I also need an acoustic simulator. I was thinking of geting a Roland Cube 30X, upgrading my pickups to vintage noiseless, or hell maybe even get a nice american strat. Blues Junior also got my eye but then I whould have to buy an overdrive pedal and an acoustic simulator pedal. So can anyone help me out? Don't want to spend more the $1000.
A Blues Junior would be good; and you'd definitely want a Tube Screamer (if not a copy).
Mayer's tone sounds very compressed to me (on some songs, his live tone mostly), so you might want to look into a compressor as well.
well, if it's just for home use, the Cube-30 is fantastic. I had one myself a while back, and i can't say enough good things about it. The acoustic simulator is a tad quiet, but can be cranked, and sounds good. Get the footswitch for the channels and effects; it's like another 50 bucks for the wires and pedals.

Pickup upgrades are always great, but I have a hard time believing that a noiseless single-coil pickup is actually vintage... make sure you don't overpay. For John Mayer, you should go with a strat for sure if you're buying a whole new ax.
Quote by frigginjerk
well, if it's just for home use, the Cube-30 is fantastic. I had one myself a while back, and i can't say enough good things about it. The acoustic simulator is a tad quiet, but can be cranked, and sounds good. Get the footswitch for the channels and effects; it's like another 50 bucks for the wires and pedals.

Pickup upgrades are always great, but I have a hard time believing that a noiseless single-coil pickup is actually vintage... make sure you don't overpay. For John Mayer, you should go with a strat for sure if you're buying a whole new ax.

ya you think I can get away with changing the pickups instead of buying an american strat?
Quote by frigginjerk

IMO, if you can afford it, you should always go for tube. And with 1000$, he can afford a 400$ Blues Junior.
^

if he wants a new guitar as well, or quality new pickups, money would be tight. The reason i recommend a cube30 over the tube amp this time is that he clearly said he's just playing in his bedroom, and he's gonna need to model a lot of tones... tube amps are great, but they generally have only a few sounds. The joy of tubes is finding THE tone (or select few tones), and cranking it, not fiddling with one gain circuit and the EQ every time you want a new sound. Otherwise, he'd have to buy several effect pedals too, especially if he wants that acoustic simulator that comes built into the cube 30.

I'd say you could get a cube 30 with foot pedals for about 400 bucks, new pickups bought and installed for 400-600 bucks, depending on what you buy and who installs them. Now, i know what people will say... "400-600 bucks for pickups? get a new guitar..." i would only upgrade your pickups if EVERYTHING else about the guitar is to your satisfaction.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The MIM Strat will do the job just fine. People underestimate the quality from those things.
I also recommend a TS of some sort. Look at Maxon's pedal line.

Exactly. A MIM strat and a Blues Junior with a Tube screamer should come in at just under a grand.

And by the way, the Blues Junior can sound exactly like Mayer; he played one when he was on the Dave Chappelle's show, and he sounded like himself.
Man that's definitely one of the things I love most about Mayer...his tone. I prefer humbuckers, but Mayer makes those strats sound soooo full. He plays through Two-Rock amps. I honestly don't know too much about them, besides they're really pricey; Mayer's sig model is $8500. Check out their site, it's recently had an upgrade - www.two-rock.com. Anywho, the point I want to make is that we can do all we can to try and get the greats' sound, but tone is just as much in the player as it is the equipment, if not more. Just rock what you got and fiddle and fiddle and fiddle till it's just like you like it.

But on a practical note, I would go with a Blues Junior and a Tube Screamer, at least. And stick with a Strat!
Quote by tstrebeck
Anywho, the point I want to make is that we can do all we can to try and get the greats' sound, but tone is just as much in the player as it is the equipment, if not more.

Hence Mayer sounding like Mayer through the Blues Junior. Then again, this also means that it doesn't really matter what you buy, you won't sound much like him anyway, unless you have it in you.
Quote by mr_hankey
Hence Mayer sounding like Mayer through the Blues Junior. Then again, this also means that it doesn't really matter what you buy, you won't sound much like him anyway, unless you have it in you.

Exactly. The fun part is searching for it!