ok, ive been playing for 2 years now and i still have my original setup thats a behringer v-tone starter pack. V-tone guitar *strat style* and a V-tone GM108 15watt!
After two years, as you can guess, im sick to death of lookin at it every morning!
So heres the Question, would i be better gettin a new guitar or a new amp??

The choices of guitar are:
Ibanez RG321MH
Ibanez GSZ120
Epiphone les paul special 2 deluxe
schecter blackhawk
Squier Double Fat strat

The choices of amp are:
Vox AD-30VT
Laney TF 320
Marshal MG30DFX
NOT FOR GIGING SO NOT FUSSED BOUT WATTAGE

any suggestions other than above are welcom but keep it in the same price range please.
thanks folks
Amp, always amp first.

Get a Laney LC15. All valve, nice bright amp.
ok, get amp first!
Also do not get any of those amps imo! Since your not giggin a nice low watt tube amp will do you! Check out the Laneys (As mentioned) or the Epiphone Valve junior! You wont regret it man!
Amp is important (Way more than guitar) because your amp generates at least 90% of your tone, but what ever you feel like do it!
All those amps and guitars you've listed aren't really a big step up from the stuff you have now. Save up more.
Quote by False_God
Amp is important (Way more than guitar) because your amp generates at least 90% of your tone, but what ever you feel like do it!

Shit no! 50%, maybe.
You have enough for a Laney LC15. £158 on GAK.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
aye a was on GAK when ya wrote then. Am jus a bit :S spending 158 on a 15 watt i know i sed it dont matter but still......15watt? really?
Quote by dark_destroyer
oh trust me, anything is a big step up from this.
and btw, only have like, 170 quid to spend.

Dude, I've played that Behringer starter pack, and it's pretty bad, but the gear you listed is not much better, you'd be going from low-end to migher low-end. If you buy anything from that list you'll want to upgrade again soon. Read the 'Buy it once' article to see what I mean.

Quote by dark_destroyer
aye a was on GAK when ya wrote then. Am jus a bit :S spending 158 on a 15 watt i know i sed it dont matter but still......15watt? really?

That's a 15 watt you won't be able to use fully just for practice; it's just too loud. On the other hand, it's loud enough to play with a drummer.
Quote by dark_destroyer

It's valve... It will cost a bit more than Solid state....
Get the guitar first. I made the mistake of getting a new amp before a new guitar and I really regret.

A good amp will not make a bad guitar sound good.
But a good guitar can make a bad amp sound alright.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
how about the orange crush 30R? the reviews in the review section look good and a can get it for 115 quid?
Quote by screamsoftly
Get the guitar first. I made the mistake of getting a new amp before a new guitar and I really regret.

A good amp will not make a bad guitar sound good.
But a good guitar can make a bad amp sound alright.

You know, most people say the exact opposite.
Quote by dark_destroyer

You can potentially gig with a 15W valve amp. It's significantly louder than your 15W solid state amp.

All that said, if you're just toying around in the bedroom, I think I'd recommend the Vox. Real decent tones, plenty of built-in amp models and effects. The Laney's an amp that will last you longer, and you would probably want to start a collection of effects pedals to go with it ASAP. Is that what you're looking to do?

Laney's a better "buy it once" option, but that really depends on how you view your future with the guitar. The Vox'll get you all the way from the bedroom to band practice pretty comfortably. From there, you'd probably want to start looking at a gig-ready amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by mr_hankey
You know, most people say the exact opposite.

^Yep!

If the guitar's playable, I'd definitely go for the amp first.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
lol, the guitars only just playable. theres a bit of a bow on the neck, the bridge has rusted, i have a pickup ring on top of the scratchplate where i cut it wrong, tuners are crap, electronics are buggered so i can use 2 pickups only.
Quote by dark_destroyer
lol, the guitars only just playable. theres a bit of a bow on the neck, the bridge has rusted, i have a pickup ring on top of the scratchplate where i cut it wrong, tuners are crap, electronics are buggered so i can use 2 pickups only.

Tighten/loosen the trussrod, resolder some wires inside the guitar; and you will have solved at least two of those problems.
Get a Laney LC15. All valve, nice bright amp.

Cracking suggestion - 15 watts might not sound like a lot, but numbers mean nothing. I guarantee that it'll be downright deafening compared to what you currenty have and even a 15 watter will probably be louder than you need....not that that's a problem Besides, £150 is sod all budget for an amp, you're lucky to get anything decent for that, but what I can tell you is that anything significantly higer in wattage for the same price will be solid-state, won't sound as good and won't actually be appreciably louder.

Get the guitar first. It's more important to have an instrument that's not a bitch to play rather than having an amp that will sound a bit better.

I've played through that behringer starter pack, the guitar is useable, the amp is utter crap...it doesn't even qualify as a decision in my eyes!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yea but did u play it brand new? after 2 years, everyday playing for atleast 2 hours, its ready for the bin.
I'd recommend a new amp first, but if the guitar isn't playable (dead spots or the neck is screwed up) go for a new guitar and make the amp work until you have the money for a decent amp.
anyone in favour of a LINE 6 SPIDER II 112??
yes i know its a solid state but my friend has one and i thought it played quite nicely.?
Quote by dark_destroyer
yes i know its a solid state but my friend has one and i thought it played quite nicely.?

NOOO! That and any Marshall MG are some of the worst, overpriced amps available.
well that will be my problem. The only amps i have ever played were the behringer, a SPIDER II 112 and a MG100DFX lol!!

No, because they're shite.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dark_destroyer
well that will be my problem. The only amps i have ever played were the behringer, a SPIDER II 112 and a MG100DFX lol!!

The Vox AD series beats them all, IMHO. If metal's a big part of what you do, you may want to give the Roland Cubes a look, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by dark_destroyer
do ya think a vox AD30VT would do??

Yes. That's why I recommended it in post #17 of this thread.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Just go for the Laney.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.